Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

boostaholic

Re: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

Here is what my board looks like, just need to suck the solder out and add onto the socket, not too hard for me

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Here is what my board looks like, just need to suck the solder out and add onto the socket, not too hard for me
    Yep, that's right. So far, every SBECII I've done has those 4 pads pre-drilled and filled with solder.

The SBEC is not so nice...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Ordered a couple of sockets from ebay to make my board work.
    Here is the finished product. Anyone with a SBEC 2 that is already socketed like mine will be easy, just heat up the solder pad with a soldering gun, suck out the solder to expose the hole, then take a larger socket and using a Dremel, cut off all but 4 contacts, then insert and re-solder the pins to the board and check for continuity and make sure no extra solder on any other connections. Make sure the solder pads are clean. Test the chip and away you go.

This particular computer was socketed by FWD years ago, so the addition of the socket extension is not that hard.

I still have yet to test my work, but im confident this will work perfect.

If you have an un-socketed computer or an SBEC, I highly recommend you use Rob's service and have him install the socket, this is not an area where a mistake is worth the risk and I hear it is a pain to install.

boostaholic

Rob,
    What is the process for actually flashing the ECU? I am in the process of running the SCI cable up to my center console. I also extended the wire for the flash switch. I am planning to have the USB connection and switch in my center console so I can tune from in the car. I just need the actual step by step process on how to flash the ECU, I can not imagine I am not the first person that will need this. Hoping to have my rough set-up operation by the end of the week. Having the car idling and driving on larger (750cc) injectors correctly will be a huge step!
    Thanks

MP Tune will help you a little with what to do.

Basically, you need the red wire wired to battery 12v (not ignition switched, it has to be constant 12v), through a pushbutton so that 12v is applied to the red wire when the button is pressed.

Fire up MP Tune, select 'quick flash' from the menu, select a cal, then it will give you a pop-up indicating you have 5 seconds after pressing 'OK' to boot the ECU.

Press OK, press the boot pushbutton, key-on, release the button and it should start flashing. When it's done it will tell you if it flashed OK or not (just FYI, the SBEC and SBECII will often fail the very first flash - I don't know why - they work fine after that), then you key off.

You can now restart the car normally
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Got a chance to get the boost button chip installed and the SCI cable ran. After first installing the chip, before flashing, I turned the key and nothing. The fuel pump didn't prime. SO after a couple of tries I go the basic +40 3 Bar tune uploaded, then the fuel pump cycled. Got the car to fire, but the base fuel pressure was over 80 psi, so I then backed down the pressure to 48, re-connected the vacuum line to the regulator and the car started running better immediately. I then went back in the car and flashed a tune that is scaled for 72lb injectors. Things got even better but the car went way rich off idle and loaded up. I then re-scaled the injectors to 76.8. The off idle issue was gone and was running even smoother. I let the car warm up and go close loop and it idled right at 14.7. I was pleasantly surprised and I am very happy with Rob's product and MPTune.
    Next is to button the car up and start road testing.

I do have one other issue. I went through all the steps in MPScan to set up a layout, then I did a profile. I then set the com ports correct but MPScan will not communicate with the car. I just get a prompt telling me to restart the car. I have no communication between the Program and the car. Really not sure what is going on..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

can you post a picture of the prompt? i don't recall that prompt in mpscan! if you are using rob's ftdi cable then it should auto select the com port. make sure the profile and gauges are set to use the correct ecu type. open up your profile using file / open profiles and then post a pic of the screen shot.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

I'm using Rob's cable and i have the com port set correct. I can cycle all of the actuator tests so I know it communicates. Not sure why it won't open the port.

Also, looking at the wideband tab on top, is there a way to read the data from my innovate wideband in mpscan? I can read and watch my data via logworks 3, but I would like it all in the same screen and logged simultaneously.
    Thanks

i never got back to doing the wideband stuff so it does not work. some have used an unused 5v line to wire their o2 sensor in. i'll check out that message. looks like it is tied to the actuator stuff. you are probably the first one to actually test that on a car so i'm not surprised you are getting a message! mpscan should auto detect the ftdi cable/com port and use it. there shouldn't be any need to go into the com settings. also stay out of the actuator settings for now if you plan on scanning. just fire up mpscan, load your profile and see if it works. it could be tied to the ecu you are using also. don't know if anybody has tested it with a sbec2/t3 - so the connection protocol may be wrong. try to connect. if it fails send me the mpscanport.txt file that is created in the mpscan directory to mterveen @ yahoo dot com or post it up here.

boostaholic

I will leave the actuator stuff alone, I just added that as a way to let you know the program is talking to the ECU at least. When I get home from work tonight, I will fire up MPScan, load my profile then try to see if it works. I am fairly confident I will get the same error, then I will send you the mpscanport.txt file.
    Update to come tonight

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    i never got back to doing the wideband stuff so it does not work. some have used an unused 5v line to wire their o2 sensor in. i'll check out that message. looks like it is tied to the actuator stuff. you are probably the first one to actually test that on a car so i'm not surprised you are getting a message! mpscan should auto detect the ftdi cable/com port and use it. there shouldn't be any need to go into the com settings. also stay out of the actuator settings for now if you plan on scanning. just fire up mpscan, load your profile and see if it works. it could be tied to the ecu you are using also. don't know if anybody has tested it with a sbec2/t3 - so the connection protocol may be wrong. try to connect. if it fails send me the mpscanport.txt file that is created in the mpscan directory to mterveen @ yahoo dot com or post it up here.
    I've tested the SBECII logging, just a little. It seemed to work fine. But, that was before we changed the RAM setup...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Ran the test that you asked today and here is the text file:

trying to open port COM18 - ctlrecord_click
    got a good port back - ctlrecord_click
    try to open port COM18 -initport
    COM18 is a legit port -initport
    usb is available on COM18 -initport
    usb ftdi serial number BBS3XK28RS is available - initport
    setting port baud rate to 7812
    ftdi open successful on COM18 -usbportinit
    using protocol SBECII TIII
    attempt to change ecu baud rate to 62500
    usbsethibaud failed - usbportinit
    ftdi open unsuccessful - usbportinit
    Sending byte 254
    Received byte 254
    Sending byte 254
    Received byte 254
    can't open ftdi port - usbportinit
    Unable to open/setup port. - ctlrecord_click

Also, the program does not auto select the com port. I have to manually configure it every time.

DD - pm me your email. i want to send you a test version that gives me a little more detail in the log file. after it says it is changing the ecu baud rate to 62500 it should state what byte it is sending. your log file is missing that so something appears to be wrong with the ftdi stuff.

boostaholic

PM Sent, looking forward to getting these bugs flushed out.

boostaholic

Got all the bugs worked out now and my TIII SBECII communicates properly with MPScan and MPTune. Time to start tuning very soon. Thanks for everyone's help!

I do need to release an official version to fix the protocol issue for the sbec2 t3 setup in case anyone else is using that ecu. Next day or two.

boostaholic

Finally got the car out on the road last night and it seems to run well, but anytime you get on the throttle it goes way rich on my wideband, I currently have fuel pressure set at 48 psi. Injectors flow 680@ 43.5. So I scaled them for 48 and got 76.7 lb/hr. I inputted that into MPTune and the car runs really rich. My calculations should be right. Also the boost target in MPScan shows 16.5. I can not get my holset to stay under 25, I was pedaling it to keep the front tires from spinning in the top of third. What table needs to be adjusted to bring down my boost target. I think If is set it low enough, I will be able to get it to open the waste-gate at 18 psi, which is the lowest pressure the waste-gate can open at.

On another note, the car is an animal, with all the 20+ psi boost hits, not a single count of knock. Needs fine tuning thou.

According to RCEng's injector calculator, 680cc @ 43.5psi injectors, running at 48psi, should give you 714cc or 68lb/hr. But, if you're setup for 76lb/hr, you shoudl be lean.

What cal did you start with, BTW? Stock 2-bar? or the 3-bar starter cal I posted?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Correction, my injectors flowed 760-780 at 43.5 when tested.

I started with the Turbonator T3 SBECII tune with 3 bar and +40. I then scaled my injectors up to 76.7

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Correction, my injectors flowed 760-780 at 43.5 when tested.

I started with the Turbonator T3 SBECII tune with 3 bar and +40. I then scaled my injectors up to 76.7
    That cal was originally tuned for a car with a ported head, so it's not really surprising it's rich if you have a stock head.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast