Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ported stocker with precision 5431 turbo question

Hybrid booster

ported stocker with precision 5431 turbo question

Will the ported stock exhaust manifold perform good enough or will i benefit a whole lot from a equal length header. Pros. and cons of these with the header

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: ported stocker with precision 5431 turbo question

Let's get ready to RUUUUMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...haust+manifold

Hybrid booster

I read most of that was more wondering what it would be like with this particular turbo on a mild built car. Ill re-read that discussion

turbo addict

my thoughts exactly

Hybrid booster

That thread is ridiculous, what a read lol

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    That thread is ridiculous, what a read lol
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. If I've left nothing else to the world at least I had a part in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...haust+manifold
    hahahahahahaha OH man that thread is classic.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I read the first two pages and scanned the next two. Does it really go on like that for 82 pages?

Hybrid booster

I understand a tubed header is better and the person who is making me a header is a tried and true tmer so i know his stuff is top notch just pricey and hard for me to come up with the money. My car is a summer toy and was more or less wondering if it would perform ok with the ported stocker and that turbo.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    I read the first two pages and scanned the next two. Does it really go on like that for 82 pages?
    Can we consider this page 83?

From what I know about the 5431, it's so close to the traditional "50trim" that the benefits may or may not outweigh the expense and complexity of a max-effort long tube header.

However a good header may allow you to reap the benefits of a much larger turbocharger. This all assumes that the rest of your combination is all up to snuff as part of a complete system.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

It's really as simple as this; A Proper tube header will Always be a benefit, as it will allow the Motor to Breath more efficiently, at Any HP level.

So the only Q is, when do the gains from the tube header outweigh the cost/expense of that much modification? From what I've experienced and what I've seen. On a 2.5 400+WHP, on a 2.2 500+WHP.

Anything below that power level and the gain in performance can be the difference of simply running a lb or 2 more boost.

eg. One person does a complete elaborate tube header set-up with 5431 turbo, another does the Exact same set-up, same head, same Everything Except, instead of a tube header they run a properly ported stock mani. The tube header setup makes x amount of power and goes x at the track (1/4 mile) on 18psi boost.

The stock ported mani set-up Might need an extra lb or 2 boost to match it.

Now I say Might, because the only way you would even have the tube header set-up making better power would be with a Great tune. Our community is so far behind in understanding what is needed and Not needed building this platform that it's unlikely you would have two different set-ups tuned so well that you could get a fair comparison. lol

So all it would take is for the ported stock set-up to be tuned better, and the tube header would look like a waist of time and money, and sadly, this is usually what ends up happening

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Is it bad i read Cordes' first post in the atypical wrestling ref/announcer voice?

turbo addict

I was just talking to a fellow member about this subject Sunday. I believe that the reason why we do not see many gains as far as power wise with a equal length header is within the flow of the head. That is why our step log design works so well. It picks up the slack of our poorly flowing heads. In my build that I am doing it hope to over come it by installing a 44 mm intake valve and leave the stock exhaust valve in the head. Hoping that flow and velocity pick up coming out of the motor and some reasonable gain will be seen from my equal length header. I am also doing a custom intake as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    Is it bad i read Cordes' first post in the atypical wrestling ref/announcer voice?
    No, that was wholly appropriate.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's really as simple as this; A Proper tube header will Always be a benefit, as it will allow the Motor to Breath more efficiently, at Any HP level.

So the only Q is, when do the gains from the tube header outweigh the cost/expense of that much modification? From what I've experienced and what I've seen. On a 2.5 400+WHP, on a 2.2 500+WHP.

Anything below that power level and the gain in performance can be the difference of simply running a lb or 2 more boost.

eg. One person does a complete elaborate tube header set-up with 5431 turbo, another does the Exact same set-up, same head, same Everything Except, instead of a tube header they run a properly ported stock mani. The tube header setup makes x amount of power and goes x at the track (1/4 mile) on 18psi boost.

The stock ported mani set-up Might need an extra lb or 2 boost to match it.

Now I say Might, because the only way you would even have the tube header set-up making better power would be with a Great tune. Our community is so far behind in understanding what is needed and Not needed building this platform that it's unlikely you would have two different set-ups tuned so well that you could get a fair comparison. lol

So all it would take is for the ported stock set-up to be tuned better, and the tube header would look like a waist of time and money, and sadly, this is usually what ends up happening
    Rob please....let's leave this to those who have cars running 10 seconds or ........nevermind.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

^. Now that was funny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    Oh, it actually gets ridiculous the further you go. I start awarding points in the argument, people are posting crazy pictures and throwing about insults. That thread is the reason why any argument on here is settled by internet fighting under the TU tent at SDAC.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Can we consider this page 83?

From what I know about the 5431, it's so close to the traditional "50trim" that the benefits may or may not outweigh the expense and complexity of a max-effort long tube header.

However a good header may allow you to reap the benefits of a much larger turbocharger. This all assumes that the rest of your combination is all up to snuff as part of a complete system.
    If this were ARFCOM I would say 3 pages, and 2 bans before the lock. In here I think it is basically page 83. Let's see where it goes and I actually may merge it.

One thing's for sure, I haven't seen a good TU tent threat in too long.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That was the best possible first response. I lol'd.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    That was the best possible first response. I lol'd.
    I'm just happy that 99% of people from that thread can have a laugh about it over a beer today. With the potential for tent fighting so real, I thought there could be some hurt feelings.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    ....,One thing's for sure, I haven't seen a good TU tent threat in too long.
    OMG Cordes that comment has me rollin. That has got to be about the best thing ive heard on any forum whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast