Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick some wheels!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Help me pick some wheels!

I would but it has coilovers now and I like it again. Should have asked sooner.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

yeah, I'm going to have a hard time with the coilovers on this car. The front fascia already sits but 5.5" off the ground.

turbo addict

Just so you guys know, I've been looking at how low the fronts of cars are quite a bit recently. It seems that 3-4" is pretty much the minimum of any street driven car I've found thus far (basically I can barely get my fist on end under it). Of course the approach angle is quite a bit different on most of those cars as the wheels are pushed pretty far out to the corners. I have seen a few with longer overhangs, though. Some of the cars were modified, but I actually try to look more at unmodified.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    yeah, I'm going to have a hard time with the coilovers on this car. The front fascia already sits but 5.5" off the ground.
    I'll let you know. The front Konis will be coming off the Shadow and going on the CSX soon. The rear is already done.

Running the numbers tonight I'm left wondering if the 1.9lbs per wheel is worth the extra inch in width on the 16" RPF1s. I'll also have to swap from 5x100 to 5x114 if I want the 8" wide tires.

Does anyone know for sure if a 16", 8" wide wheel with a 32mm offset will be a problem? I tried to make some calculations and it would appear that given a 38mm offset for the stock 6" wide wheels there would be an increase of 5/8" inboard and 1 3/8" outboard. I think I'll take a backspacing measurement of the wheels I have on the car and attempt to go from there. I don't know that it would fit well on the outboard side. That's a lot of extra space.

OK. After PMing pat, running numbers, and thinking logically for a minute I think I'll just go with the 7" wide wheel. The 1.9lb weight savings will be a very nice bonus.

Now to find out if tire rack or another such establishment will sell me the wheels and tires as a package so that I don't have to pay over $100 to have someone else install them. How I wish I could still do all of my own work. It pains me to pay someone else to do something which I'm so darn good at.

The final piece of the equation will be whether or not I spray new wheels gold. I really don't think I'll like the look of the silver wheels on the car.

turbo addict

I don't think the 8" wheels would fit with that backspacing. I am running the 7" wide ones and with -1* camber with 225/50/16's I can barely get my pinky finger between the strut and the tire.

I got mine from Tire Rack...tires already mounted and balanced...came UPS.

I put an 8" rim on my car. If they will fit an L body, they'll fit a Shadow, I would think.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I put an 8" rim on my car. If they will fit an L body, they'll fit a Shadow, I would think.
    I seem to recall a little tire cutting and fender rolling. You're right. They will fit, but it would really take some work and most likely rolled fenders front and rear along with cheating the strut mounts for a little extra space on the inside. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I'll spend too much time going in a straight line at 70mph to notice enough difference to make it worthwhile.

The fronts did not require any cutting, the rears required some fender rolling but I think that had more to do with the thickness of the rear spindles since I had them machined down and weren't the 5x100 spindles.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    The fronts did not require any cutting, the rears required some fender rolling but I think that had more to do with the thickness of the rear spindles since I had them machined down and weren't the 5x100 spindles.
    I thought the right side cut the tire that's why I said that. I know it didn't take much on your car.

I did a little eyeballing of some 16" pumpers on my CSX and the fronts are too close for my taste. Push the wheel out well over an inch and I think you'll be relying on the camber of the wheel through it's travel to clear the fender at best.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I thought the right side cut the tire that's why I said that. I know it didn't take much on your car.

I did a little eyeballing of some 16" pumpers on my CSX and the fronts are too close for my taste. Push the wheel out well over an inch and I think you'll be relying on the camber of the wheel through it's travel to clear the fender at best.
    The only tire that got damaged was the passenger rear and that was at whatever the camber was set to. I did try to run less than -1* of camber up front and had to go with -1.25* to keep from rubbing anywhere. The rear I chalk up to the axle not being centered or shifted some, either from bushing wear or previous damage at some level or just the fact that it's a Chrysler. If I knocked off about 1/16" from the rear spindles and rolled my fenders, I'm almost certain I wouldn't have ever had the damage that got done to the tire.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Just to point out, barely being able to fit your pinky is still a LOT of room in terms of wheel offset. ~10mm.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Oh, I meant my pinky nail and being squished...so ~5mm :P

I know 8" wheels will fit, Chris Still ran them fore years. He had to run some spacers, roll the fenders, and use longer wheel studs. That's why I didn't go with 8" wide wheels when I got my RPF1's. It was a lot more work and money than I had time or budget for at that moment.

When I think about the conversion to 5x114, rolling fenders, and a nearly 3lb weight penalty per wheel I'll stick with the 7" wheel. 8" would be cool, but I can't justify it. On the other hand, I called tire rack and they have the wheels and tires in stock so they should be here pretty soon.

Going with an 8" wheel is questionable and since you don't want to roll the fenders (don't blame you), there's no reason to gamble with it. The RPF1 17x7 (or even a 16x7) will look good. I think painted gold, they will be pretty sweet looking.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Very handy tool to determine wheel/tire spacing.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Very handy tool to determine wheel/tire spacing.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
    Thanks Mike. That is a very helpful tool.

Well, if all goes as planned I don't think I could be any happier with tirerack. They had a great price on the wheels and tires. Mounting/balancing along with road hazard and lug nuts for free. It was a real money saver to go through them to say the least.

What did you get for a combo?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast