Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick some wheels!

boostaholic

Re: Help me pick some wheels!

Hard to beat 15" traklites.. 16" tire selection is worse than 15.

Cheaper and lighter tires, also 15's the rim where most of the wheel's weight is, its closer to the center so lb for lb the wheels will spin up easier.

16's and 45's do look good though. With 17's and 40's you start getting that rubber band tire look.. You have to be pretty low to make that look right.
    MinivanRider

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I was recently searching for wheels. Looks like traklite a are no longer available in an offset that will work for us.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

RPF-1 is going to be the lightest for the price. They make a gold one, but not sure you want to fork over close to $1K for the set, although you may? I think they would look good on the CSX, but I like the wheels Vigo put up. I think the RPF1's are like 12.5-13.5 lbs per wheel for the size, not terribly lighter although I know the 2 lbs does make a difference.

My goal with the CSX I have was to make a set of 17x8's in the same design as the 15's. Yes, I would have had a set made for the car had I decided to keep it. But now that I don't plan on keeping it, someone else can figure out what they want to do with it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    Hard to beat 15" traklites.. 16" tire selection is worse than 15.

Cheaper and lighter tires, also 15's the rim where most of the wheel's weight is, its closer to the center so lb for lb the wheels will spin up easier.

16's and 45's do look good though. With 17's and 40's you start getting that rubber band tire look.. You have to be pretty low to make that look right.
    Ive been shopping for tires for my neon lately, and since last year it seems tires in the 15" size are disappearing fast. When I looked for tires last year there was plenty of 225/50's to pick from on tire rack. Now there is 4. One is a DR and 2 are autoX tires. Im kicking myself for getting rid of the 16's I had for the 15's I have now. Unless you want a 205/50, that size should be around a while.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I think I may need to get out in the garage and do some real measuring before I go any further. I love the fact that I have a couple of sub 10lb. wheels to choose from if I go with a 15" wheel. However, the tire choice is nothing like if I opted for a 17" wheel. As Jon mentioned, there are quite a few 17" wheels which are 8" wide. That would be a pretty big advantage even with a 225 width tire IMO.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The thing about the 8" width is that you still cant run anything wider than a 225 (really... 205) on it because in 17s the wider tread widths arent offered with short enough profiles to keep the overall diameter proportional for an L-body. Youd have to be looking at 35 and 30 series tires to keep it looking right and there is slim to no selection of 235 and 245-width 17s in those profiles.

In 15s you basically only have two choices that will look right, but the upside is that both will look and perform great. One thing to keep in mind about 225/45-15 is that it's a size of tire made entirely for racers. All of the 225/45-15s are wider than you would think a 225 would be. In fact, GRM recently did a tire test comparing 205/50 and 225/45 of the same tires on different width rims. They found that on a rim that was 'only' 8" wide, the 225s weren't any faster around a course than the 205s. But, they did show an advantage on 9" rims. So that tells you how wide the 225/45s are, that they work better on a 9" rim than an 8". So if you are looking for wide tires look no further than 225/45-15.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The thing about the 8" width is that you still cant run anything wider than a 225 (really... 205) on it because in 17s the wider tread widths arent offered with short enough profiles to keep the overall diameter proportional for an L-body. Youd have to be looking at 35 and 30 series tires to keep it looking right and there is slim to no selection of 235 and 245-width 17s in those profiles.

In 15s you basically only have two choices that will look right, but the upside is that both will look and perform great. One thing to keep in mind about 225/45-15 is that it's a size of tire made entirely for racers. All of the 225/45-15s are wider than you would think a 225 would be. In fact, GRM recently did a tire test comparing 205/50 and 225/45 of the same tires on different width rims. They found that on a rim that was 'only' 8" wide, the 225s weren't any faster around a course than the 205s. But, they did show an advantage on 9" rims. So that tells you how wide the 225/45s are, that they work better on a 9" rim than an 8". So if you are looking for wide tires look no further than 225/45-15.
    Interesting. I'm not sure if you mistyped, but this is going on my CSX. A 235/40r17 would only be .2" taller than the stock small tire 195/60r15s. Maybe that does something for me and maybe it doesn't. I'm open to any and all feedback though.

Whoops! I guess i was out of the loop. So then, most of my comments are much less relevant. I think you can get a wide 17 in a decent tire diameter for a CSX. I still think it would look great with 225/45-15s, but 17s become more of a possibility vs the l-body i made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Whoops! I guess i was out of the loop. So then, most of my comments are much less relevant. I think you can get a wide 17 in a decent tire diameter for a CSX. I still think it would look great with 225/45-15s, but 17s become more of a possibility vs the l-body i made up.
    Hey, I've still got an L body in the garage! It'll stay on some polished pizzas for the long haul though.

Yeah, i was kinda wondering why you were looking for l-body wheels (which you werent) after all this time of having the car the same way more or less as far as the wheels. On my cars i tend to want to get wheels pretty early in the ownership and then they stay on there pretty much forever. I dont think ive ever had a car for years and suddenly decided i wanted different wheels on it.

Hybrid booster

RPF1 available in 15'' (5x100mm) ?

I believe the 205 feels and look wider then what was available back in the late eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    RPF1 available in 15'' (5x100mm) ?

I believe the 205 feels and look wider then what was available back in the late eighties.
    I believe they are. I think they are something like 9.68lbs. too.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

OK Brian, how about these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24kgold_daytonwire.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	48852  
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    OK Brian, how about these?
    I don't know. They look like they should have some Vogues on them.

Hybrid booster

I own a wheel refinishing company, Alloy Recon LLC . If you want your wheels painted any color under the sun I can help you with that. I use the PPG waterbourne system and sexy clear coat. The finish looks much sexy time.

- - - Updated - - -

I also fix bent and cracked wheels.
    75 bucks for cosmetic work
    75 for straightening
    100 if it needs both services

machined surface wheels are 125

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowv4l View Post
    I own a wheel refinishing company, Alloy Recon LLC . If you want your wheels painted any color under the sun I can help you with that. I use the PPG waterbourne system and sexy clear coat. The finish looks much sexy time.

- - - Updated - - -

I also fix bent and cracked wheels.
    75 bucks for cosmetic work
    75 for straightening
    100 if it needs both services

machined surface wheels are 125
    Not to hijack Cordes thread (OK, Ill hijack, he owes me a favor or three anyway) I recently bought some mid 90's 911 turbo wheels for my 89 928. I asked a couple "knowledgable Porsche *experts* about fitment before I did the deal, they gave me the 'yeah, should fit' response. They dont Love the look but the offset is too far out, that is, they would rub the fenders over bumps for sure. I did some crude but effective measurements and I need 40mm taken out of the fronts and 25mm taken out of the rears. THing is as you know, if that much is machined off the mounting flanges of the rim, the lugnuts would simply fall thru the wheels because the 'plate' would be gone. I don't mind spending the money to fix/modify them if its even possible. Do I have any options you know of, does your company do that sorts mod?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Not to hijack Cordes thread (OK, Ill hijack, he owes me a favor or three anyway) I recently bought some mid 90's 911 turbo wheels for my 89 928. I asked a couple "knowledgable Porsche *experts* about fitment before I did the deal, they gave me the 'yeah, should fit' response. They dont Love the look but the offset is too far out, that is, they would rub the fenders over bumps for sure. I did some crude but effective measurements and I need 40mm taken out of the fronts and 25mm taken out of the rears. THing is as you know, if that much is machined off the mounting flanges of the rim, the lugnuts would simply fall thru the wheels because the 'plate' would be gone. I don't mind spending the money to fix/modify them if its even possible. Do I have any options you know of, does your company do that sorts mod?
    Put the fronts on the rear and vice versa, you should be good!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

165's and roll the fenders.
    MinivanRider

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Not to hijack Cordes thread (OK, Ill hijack, he owes me a favor or three anyway) I recently bought some mid 90's 911 turbo wheels for my 89 928. I asked a couple "knowledgable Porsche *experts* about fitment before I did the deal, they gave me the 'yeah, should fit' response. They dont Love the look but the offset is too far out, that is, they would rub the fenders over bumps for sure. I did some crude but effective measurements and I need 40mm taken out of the fronts and 25mm taken out of the rears. THing is as you know, if that much is machined off the mounting flanges of the rim, the lugnuts would simply fall thru the wheels because the 'plate' would be gone. I don't mind spending the money to
    fix/modify them if its even possible. Do I have any options you know of, does your company do that sorts mod?
    I don't offer that service and to be honest i haven't heard or seen that done before. I imagine you could chuck it in a lathe and shave of the desired amount of metal. I would certainly be cautious about removing too much metal because i would hate to see the wheel fail driving down the road.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast