Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick some wheels!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Help me pick some wheels!

They need to be gold. They need to be light. They need to clear R/T brakes. That's about it for strict requirements.

I would like to keep a decent look if possible and I would like some relatively affordable tires also. I'm willing to spend the money to do this right once. I plan on using these for serious autocrossing, but I will be taking it on long road trips also.

I guess the real question is if there is anything out there that will beat the RPF1s for weight, price, and fitment?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Help me pick some wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    They need to be gold. They need to be light. They need to clear R/T brakes. That's about it for strict requirements.
    gold? they make paint every day

light? Motegi Tracklites

Clear R/T brakes? see above

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

these are what i would have bought if i didnt get such a great deal on my wheels
    http://pricing.tirediscounters.com/products/?id=5039

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

See if you can kick up some Kosei K1's. Gold color is just a spray can away.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Wow those daylights are pretty light.. 12lbs for 15" and 13.5lbs for 16" is what they claim. What size are you looking for?

If you shop used, once in a while you see 16" Subaru fitment Rotas for sale. Some of them are sub 14lbs. Also I search VW or "vw golf" in case sellers don't list the bolt pattern. I think its up to like 2005 VW and Subaru used our bolt pattern. Some forged gold 2004 STi stock wheels would be sweet if you wanted 17's.. they are 15.7lbs.
    MinivanRider

Thanks for the tips guys. I was really hoping to not paint brand new wheels, but if something really needs to be done then I guess I'll do it.

I've thought about the Subaru wheels. What is their offset? I know the STI wheels don't weigh anything because I can remember the first time I picked one up. I had never lifted a 17" wheel that light before.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

offset typically wrong for AWD wheels

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Yeah, it looks like the Subaru stuff would need a spacer.

boostaholic

Vigo, that's the wheel I was thinking of.

I really like those, but at 16lbs. for a 15" wheel that's kind of heavy. I also hate that center cap retention method. It drove me crazy when I did tires.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

A few years back, there was a brand of wheels called RSL that were forged and very light weight available on eBay. I don't know if they are still available, but they were 15" and available in gold. They were similar to the Traklites if I recall.

edit: dang, looks like they are unavailable, at least from the manufacturer.

http://rslwheel.com/model.php?brand=...lorsearch=Gold

I guess if I want to get really serious I need to pick a tire size. It actually looks like 225/45r15 has a couple of decent choices out there right now. Would I be shooting myself in the foot to pick a 15" wheel these days? I'm thinking that the Porsche guys will keep me in tires for a while?

turbo addict

Gonna be tough to beat the RPF1's for strength, looks, fitment, weight, etc. The part that pisses me off about those is the last I checked they get another $150-200 for a set of centercaps! I almost bought the SBC coated ones in 16X7 couple years ago. Lightness is overrated if they fold like a house of cards (lol). Those SSR wheels sure were purdy but I remember they had a horrible track record for getting bent without ever coming in contact with anything. Just be careful with all those Chinese wheels out there.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enkei rpf1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	48811  

turbo addict

Buy my Motegi traklites Brian ! Forged wheel and very strong. Practically brand new.

I have the wheels Todd posted above for the Consulier in 16" in special black chrome finish. I'm not sold on them for looks but tough to find a nice 16" wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Buy my Motegi traklites Brian ! Forged wheel and very strong. Practically brand new.

I have the wheels Todd posted above for the Consulier in 16" in special black chrome finish. I'm not sold on them for looks but tough to find a nice 16" wheel.
    That's really tempting. My only concern in sticking with a 15" wheel is tire size. I almost wonder if I should go to a 17" wheel just for that reason? It seems like you can get a 235/40r17 which I would think should handle a bit better than a 50 series tire on a 15" wheel. Of course you're adding about 6lbs. per wheel just on the wheel alone at that point.

What's the widest tire I could put on a stock P body anyway?

Hybrid booster

i have 225/45/17 on my csx and they rub the fenders edges and fender liners pretty bad i'm actually considering getting 16's just thought its worth mentioning

Is that due to overall diameter? What wheel offset does you wheel have?

Hybrid booster

my wheels are a 35 offset, mainly the overall diameter is the problem though it still might happen with 17/40/xxx when the suspension is compressed while cornering hard the top of the tire rubs the inner lip of the front fenders, it took the paint off and wore away part of the plastic liner, my cars still got the factory formula gp struts in pretty good condition with csx springs

turbo addict

Brian,
    I choose 16X7 -35 offset for my Shadow. I did for a few reasons. Better tire selection and I knew they would fit with zero issues. Also as you stated go bigger on the wheel and weight of wheel goes up too. My OZ wheels are just a bit under 15lbs. I think I shaved like 7.5lbs X 4 off of the stock pumpers between the tire and wheel. When I went shopping for tires I was looking at their weight as well. Couldn't believe that some were 4+lbs heavier in same exact size. My point is choose the wrong tires and any weight you saved on LW wheels could be lost on tire selection.
    Nice wheels Mike! I like the Traklites!
    Todd

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast