Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep 5.9 Electrical issue

boostaholic

Jeep 5.9 Electrical issue

So my daughter gets pulled over last night for having no tail lights. I just worked on the jeep a week ago to fix the auto headlights. They are now fixed but now what's weird is that she no longer has dash or tail lights. The other thing is if she has the switch set to auto headlight and puts her turn signal on it makes all the lights inside flash but if its on manual on it doesn't make the interior lights flash. Even on manual the dash and tail lights are not working. I checked all fuses and relays and they are all functioning/good. I replaced the headlight switch with a new one and still the same issue, even tried swapping in the one from my 5.9 and it does the same thing. I can find no butchered wiring anywhere and everything seems ok. Another weird thing is the third brake light will come on when the brakes are applied but not the regular lights and the bulbs are good. I am stumped.

boostaholic

Re: Jeep 5.9 Electrical issue

Brake lights are working. What I found is everything that doesn't work is on fuse #6. I just noticed that the overhead console no longer works either. The funny thing is that the turn signals and flashers DO work and are on the same circuit as well as the graphic display. This is a Canadian Jeep and also on this fuse is supposed to be the daytime running lamps. I wonder if there is a problem with that module. I also wonder where the hell that module would be.

boostaholic

Could this be an issue with the BCM?

turbo addict

Also check lamp outage module.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

How do you test one? And which is the LOM?

boostaholic

Oh yeah that thing in the back quarter. Yeah I tried that already and I tried bypassing it too. Now I remember something. The PO told me he replaced it. I bet he knew about the issue. Looking at the fuse panel it shows signs of water damage, Oxidation. There are no other signs of damage anywhere else though. I wonder if it had a leaking windshield and it leaked down on it. I've seen it before with the ZJ. The first thing I did when I got the Jeep was replace the windshield so if it was leaking, Its not now!
    I also tried cleaning the fuses and terminals. Weird.Weird.

turbo addict

Yeah in back corner. I'd bet you have some internal issues in that fuse box. Try testing for voltage output on the affected circuit.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Well I found that the leak was from the prior blower motor repair. He told me he replaced the blower motor and resistor and its new. You can clearly see there was water coming from there and dripping in onto the fuse panel. I unbolted the fuse panel to remove it to clean it up but I cant get the harness plugs out for the life of me. I also found the remote amp wire shorted as well. For now I disconnected the wire that was shorted. Everything else looks good but I need to check the voltage to #6. Its weird how some stuff on number 6 works and some doesn't.

boostaholic

Number 6 has power to the fuse on both sides.

boostaholic

Ok this is what I have learned so far. everything is checking out.
    Headlights turn on with auto and manual.
    Power to all fuses.
    Dash and tail lights don't work and neither does overhead console.
    If you turn on the auto headlights then turn on the turn signals, The dash lights and overhead console light up and flash on and off but no tail lights.
    Brake lights and turn signals are working.

I did find a big powder blue wire cut from the main harness coming up from the left kick panel side.
    I removed a GPS and cellular tracking antenna, cant find the transmitter/receiver box. Part of aftermarket head unit maybe.

turbo addict

You may have power to both sides of the fuse but does it make it out of the fuse box. the powder blue wire is for trailer brakes.

boostaholic

Ok, Awesome.
    Overhead console works fine now. Must have been a loose wire. I had taken it down and checked it then put it back. Now it works. It stays on all the time but will flash with the dash lights.
    Another goofy thing. With auto lights on, If I have the brakes applied and in reverse at the same time the dash lights flash too.
    I can check to see if it is coming out of the panel but I think it would be if all of the other things on that circuit work. Where should I check?

turbo addict

Here is a diagram, looks like the park lamp relay mounted on the fuse block (junction block) controls the tail lights and interior lights. The relay is controlled by the BCM. If you look closely that relay has multiple outputs using the same feed but different pins. Do you have front marker lights?

I think you have corrosion issues at the connectors on the Junction block causing loss of connection on certain pins. Pull the right kick panel out and start pulling connectors off to check for green.
    Attached Files Attached Files

boostaholic

No I do not have front parking lamps either.

boostaholic

Keep in mind its a Canadian 5.9 Limited and I believe its supposed to have daytime running lights. I don't think they worked when I got the Jeep.

turbo addict

I would check out that relay and see if you are getting power in and out of it.

Hybrid booster

The DRL module (says in cavity 6) also fed from fuse 6 from the ignition switch. Is the DRL module turning on the headlights? The high beams should be at 50% when the switch is in the off position. But I don't see it affecting the overhead console.

Is the VIC telling you the lights are out?

I'm looking for a common ground that could feed back from the signals to the dash lights. But I'm working from a 96 manual.
    Last edited by banger68; 02-09-2014 at 11:26 PM.

boostaholic

I think the overhead console was a different issue as its working fine now. The drl is not working at all. The only time the headlights are on is if you turn them on or if the auto on feature turns them on. None of the parking lamps work nor do the tail lights. Which relaI check? There is 2 that I think work with this issue. Would the drl effect the dash lights as

boostaholic

The Vic is telling me the tail lights are out but has always said that since we bought it. They were working and so were the dash lights.. could this be caused by the bcm? Or does it not control things like this. I don't think the Vic would do this right?

boostaholic

Ok so I tested the BCM from the Jeep in my other Jeep and it works fine. Is it possible for the DRL module to do this? My thoughts were if it went bad that the headlights get stuck on. What else could this be? I am stumped still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast