Thread: New to site. tips on possible Daytona buy?

Mitsu booster

New to site. tips on possible Daytona buy?

Hi all thanks for having me. I joined because I have been eyeballing an 89 Daytona 2.2 t2 and am thinking about buying it. But my experience is v8 mopar 4x4s not turbo 4cyl lol.

Here's the skinny on the car. It's a 89 Daytona Shelby 2.2 t2 motor with 5spd. FWD stage 5 Cali,mopar super 60 injectors, 3 bar map, adjust fuel press reg and 3in exhaust. It's local here in Ohio and there is no rust but clear coat is peeling bad miles unknown until I see it in person but it looks good for it's age. Only problem is the 18psi boost makes the stock clutch slip ( go figure right) but it drives as long as your not mashing it. Total price 2500 firm.

My question is what to look for on it when I go see. It sounds great but I don't want to get hosed because of my lack of experience on these cars. Thanks for any help guys/gals.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Re: New to site. tips on possible Daytona buy?

I thought these cars came from the factory with pealing clear coat. Lol. Slipping clutch shouldn't be a big deal, that's a simple fix. Ideally you'd want to give it a compression test, check the turbo shaft for excessive play, and check if it's smoking upon start up and idle. That's where I'd start. Good luck with the new car, you'll be addicted in no time!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Hybrid booster

Welcome!

With a setup like that in the heavier daytona body, you're going to need something more than a stock T2 clutch. That setup dialed in and tuned right should easily make 250-300 whp. So plan on $400-500 for a good clutch/pp setup (plus labor if you're not wrenching on it yourself).

Being in Ohio and not rusty is surprising! Check under the car where the ebrake comes through the floor on the drivers side floorboard. Also check for rusty fuel/brake lines along the rear frame rails and around the fuel tank. Other than that, yup, they pretty much all need paint!

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the advise fellas. I will be doing the wrenching on the car for sure. I was not going to put a stock clutch back in her but instead a HD from FWD or a stage 3. Paint will be done by yours truly as well. I want it to cruise and utterly destroy the Honda kids that drive around here thinking they are cool and fast lol. ( you got beat by a Daytona bra!!) Priceless.

Hybrid booster

I think ive seen that car on craigslist, looked good. I can go with to check it out if you arent familiar with the common "fault points" of these cars.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    I think ive seen that car on craigslist, looked good. I can go with to check it out if you arent familiar with the common "fault points" of these cars.
    Thanks man. That would be cool. My hang up right now is waiting on uncle Sam to give my tax money. But it will be here mid next week. What part of Indiana are you in? I live about 20 miles east of Greenville Ohio. And about 35 min away from the car.

Hybrid booster

Im in ft wayne, id have to look at a map and the add to see how far it was from me. I thought it was in the lima area? Been a while since ive craigslisted for Daytonas.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    Im in ft wayne, id have to look at a map and the add to see how far it was from me. I thought it was in the lima area? Been a while since ive craigslisted for Daytonas.
    It a little was away from Lima. It's in Palestine, Oh. t might be kind of far from you.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

I can't add much, everyone hit it well!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Welcome. Seems we are from similar pedigree's when it comes to Dodge. I had no experience with FWD turbo Dodges until I bought my Daytona a few months ago and prior to that my only experience was on my Dakota R/T and the 3.5L Charger my Ex has both RWD.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Welcome. Seems we are from similar pedigree's when it comes to Dodge. I had no experience with FWD turbo Dodges until I bought my Daytona a few months ago and prior to that my only experience was on my Dakota R/T and the 3.5L Charger my Ex has both RWD.
    I love R/T Dakotas. I am a mopar nut . My first car was a 73 Imperial with a 440. I had a 99 Dakota 4x4,3 Jeeps, 84 ramcharger 4x4, 87 Power Ram 4x4, 01 Ram 2500 4x4 oh and a 90 Caravan lol. My only experience with fwd mopar is when I was 17 I had a 84? Chrysler laser turbo auto. It was a $250 terd. And I had a 01 300M. So yeah I love them but this is new territory for me.

Hybrid booster

Its about an hour and a half, i wouldnt mind the drive if it helps you out. But it would have to be when its not so bad out, battling neg temp swings and a lot of snow round here.

turbo addict

After owning multiple fix-it up dodge (4) and actually fix them up and seeing what the market has to offer, my tip is to wait for the "right for you car" and never buy because of apparent "low" purchase cost. The cost of fixing up one is often more than buying a better car to begin with, even if you have to fly out to get it.

Mitsu booster

I just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome and advice. I called the seller of the Daytona today to talk to him about setting up a time to meet. Well he rubbed me the.wrong way so IM having around thoughts about this one. He was vary standoffish and not want to give much info if any about it. I don't like that, usually mean the car has about another city block worth of go in it the it done. On a lighter more though I contacted a guy about his 85 Shelby charger and it sound like a much better buy. Thanks again everyone.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-rockilla View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome and advice. I called the seller of the Daytona today to talk to him about setting up a time to meet. Well he rubbed me the.wrong way so IM having around thoughts about this one. He was vary standoffish and not want to give much info if any about it. I don't like that, usually mean the car has about another city block worth of go in it the it done. On a lighter more though I contacted a guy about his 85 Shelby charger and it sound like a much better buy. Thanks again everyone.
    OK, what Harry said, buy a better car for more money and it will cost you less in the restoration run. This one is in the wrong state for you and costs twice as much but I GUARRANTY you its a better car. It's mine, too many projects, come get it in SoCal...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IROC RT Cluster.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	48812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IROC RT Motor.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	48813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IROC RT Drivers side.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	48814  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL