Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tranny giving it up, no mechanic understands

turbo addict

tranny giving it up, no mechanic understands

First my engine went down to 13 mpg, and took it to 3 places and it still sucks fuel.
    The my last trip to Portland (230 miles away) the tranny gave it up. Had to barrow
    a truck and rent a trailer to bring it home.
    Not sure if I should fix it. I have already spent $1800 trying to get the fuel issue fixed.
    Now the tranny goes away.

(1992 Diesel Dodge/auto)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truckCamper.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	48754  
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: tranny giving it up, no mechanic understands

Well, would you rather spend a few duckets and fix an old friend or spend quite a few more and a have a fresh' only check the fuel and oil', all the creature comforts, fresh and shiny new towing rig? There is something to be said for both routes...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Could the big drop in mileage be from the trans having been on it's way out? Cheaper to fix than buy a new one by far.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any diesel truck shops you could try, being a cummins.

Hybrid booster

What happened to the transmission (symptoms/conditions)?

Maybe use it as an opportunity to upgrade. Get a nice tight TC and do some VB mods. I bet you get your mileage back and then some.

turbo addict

Well, would you rather spend a few duckets and fix an old friend or spend quite a few more and a have a fresh' only check the fuel and oil', all the creature comforts, fresh and shiny new towing rig? There is something to be said for both routes...
    Oh I'd love both. But decided to keep the old friend.
    I have a guy down the road about a mile, he bought a 2006-7 and he rarely drove it. The pasted away 2 years ago.
    His wife still has it and never drives it. Says she would sell it to me. "IF" I only had the money….
    What happened to the transmission (symptoms/conditions)?

Maybe use it as an opportunity to upgrade. Get a nice tight TC and do some VB mods.
    It acted like it went into neutral. Changed the fluid/filter. Bad stuff in the pan. And it will move now but
    not right and I don't trust it.
    I do plan on doing it upgrade!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Was TC lockup working? That seems like the first to go on diesels and when they do your mileage drops and they release a bunch of junk and clog the filter. I would keep the 1st Gen before getting a 6.7. The aftertreatment and egr system is a major reliability weakness. Deleting them is a major expense too.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Was TC lockup working?
    I am not sure.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Was TC lockup working? That seems like the first to go on diesels and when they do your mileage drops and they release a bunch of junk and clog the filter. I would keep the 1st Gen before getting a 6.7. The aftertreatment and egr system is a major reliability weakness. Deleting them is a major expense too.
    Exactly where I was going.

06-07...hmmm - 5.9 in 06 and 6.7 in 07. I'm with you on the 6.7, but those last year 5.9's are nice (I have an 03 and am now wishing I had gotten an 06 since I'm doing everything to my 03 to make it that level hp/tq anyway...LOL).

Good luck Johnny!

turbo addict

That truck is definitely worth putting money into. I always kinda watch the prices on them and if anything they are going up in value around here. My cousin bought a really nice 93 4x4 3500 7 years ago for 10k, and he could probably sell it today for more then that, with a ton more miles. If your just wanting a tranny, or maybe a manual swap I have heard there is a guy either in portland, or hermiston (cant remember) who buys up all the cheaper 1gens in my area to part out. He has want adds all over CL.

turbo addict

The bad mileage could have been the Torque converter was giving signs the stator starting to slip
    i get the transmission rebuilt and new TC

turbo addict

Might be part of it BUT tons of black smoke I am sure is most of it.

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

My transmission exploded on me a few years back. I bought an old rust pile of a standard transmission truck, parked them beside each other in the driveway and slowly swapped the parts over. The G360 has been great these last few years. Ended up paying about $700 for that truck after I sold the rest of it for parts, too.

I always was upset with that 40% power-loss-to-keep-the-auto-together thing that Dodge did. Plus there's just something about rowing that old boat.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

turbo addict

Hope this next month when I do the trans to get a much better torque converter to help a little with the auto efficiency.

Hybrid booster

with my truck when I needed to pass emissions I turned it way down on the power screw and flipped the fuel pin around back wards. No power and 14 MPG. Then I put the fuel pin back in right and bottomed the power screw, back up over 25 MPG. Then I finally got 4" exhaust and the mileage dropped to 18-19 around town and 23 highway, it doesn't lag now.

The star wheel gives the truck fuel quicker and when you turn it down into the pump the truck gets smoky and eats fuel. I'd raise the star wheel to the top and make sure the fuel pin is facing the right direction. Then turn up the power pin. This gives the least pre fueling and the most injector pressure for best mileage.

My truck also eats up pumps, a piston pump is a great mod. Mine needs a compressor upgrade next as I'm surging it bad now.

On the trans I don't get it. My trans is original with 230K and the last 100K abused. I added a shift kit to it. Shredded my flex plate, posted that on TD. The took the converter to the local converter builder to get beefed up. Added the newer stronger flex plate and converter a few years ago now. Being non lock up it is tough to kill the early trans, the lock up 47RH and newer caves from the lock up converters. I also thought you got a core from Matt up here to rebuild? Doing the work yourself you can rebuild the trans and build a converter around $500. You need an inch lb 1/4" torque wrench and a stand up shop press for adjusting the bands and compressing the man drive OD clutch pack.

All of these trans require a 2 year power flush to stay going, too much gets to floating around in them.

turbo addict

Finally started on the truck project.
    Got the torque converter.
    Got a good used trans.
    Was going to rebuild it first but its good so just going to install and then rebuild mine.
    lock up? 1992 did not have lock up converters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TruckTQ.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	51552  

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

92 should be a lockup, 89 to mid 91-ish was open converter. Does the input shaft have splines all the way to the end (non lockup) or do the splines stop short of the end and it gets smooth (lockup).

turbo addict

Funny, because 4 people I talked to said none were lock up.
    I'll see when I pull it out.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Funny, because 4 people I talked to said none were lock up.
    I'll see when I pull it out.
    Derp on me:
    For the Cummins:
    1989-1991: A727 (aka 36RH) 3-speed. No overdrive, no lock-up.
    1991.5-1993: A518 (aka 46RH) 4-speed. Overdrive, no lock-up.
    Thats where I was getting and remembering those dates from. oops...

turbo addict

Confirmed! Thanks.

Hybrid booster

There is a lot to gain from going from a 46RH to a 47RH

The 94-95 tans is a complete bolt in and PATC has the pressure switch setup to operate lock up. With mild mods most get 100 WHP when the converter locks. Down side is you have to spend on a converter. Up side, lock up trans don't run nearly as hot pulling a load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast