Thread: Dodge Omni with SRT-4 Neon seats??

Garrett booster

Dodge Omni with SRT-4 Neon seats??

Came across this on an internet search:

http://hooniverse.com/2010/11/28/cra...ing-of-shelby/

Now this is several years old...but is this possible without modifications? The seller said it didn't...but I had never seen this before...

turbo addict

Re: Dodge Omni with SRT-4 Neon seats??

I don't understand your question, the very act of putting those seats in count as a "modification".

I'm sure he had to drill some holes in the seat rails, made some bracket, what else information are you looking for?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Mike Wah has SRT4 seats in his GLHS.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I don't understand your question, the very act of putting those seats in count as a "modification".

I'm sure he had to drill some holes in the seat rails, made some bracket, what else information are you looking for?
    My question was alluding to the fact of no modifications to the seats themselves for them to fit...just plug-n-play.

I'd like to know what exact modifications (if any) are required to mount those seats in an Omni.

boostaholic

turbo addict

The seat track in the front of the SRT seats are much more narrow than the floorpan of L-body. The rear track is close except that the elevation is way off. One side is off only like 1/4" while the other side is like 1-3/4". So you would need to extend the seat track or run some sort of spacers between the two. If you want to keep the same reinforced holes in L-body floorpan, the front mounting brackets need to be cut off the SRT seat track and relocated inboard.
    This has been done by several of us, but it is hardly a bolt in. I installed a set on Mark C. dad's solo II GLHT. Plan on at least 6-8 hours of labor to do it correctly. Here is a pic of some measurements I made when I did the install. This should give you an idea what is in store for you should you decide to do this install.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5366.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	48718  

Spend a day in a Neon SRT-4 seat before you decide this is what you want to do. I liked the seats in my 1st gen R/T much better, and ended up putting the OE seats from my SRT-4 in storage and replaced them with the optional airbag seats for normal driving.
    Also swapped 1st Gen R/T seats into my Horizon, and may do the same for my Rampage.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Agree
    When SDAC was in Chicago the trip from Cleveland was brutal

turbo addict

I have SRT4 viper style seats in my omni. They fit great for me but I'm only 5'9" and 165lbs. I have taken 4 hour trip with no problems. I essentially cut the feet off of srt4 track and omni track and then welded the omni feet onto the srt4 track. Not very scientific. I think the pass seat ended up an inch too far to the right lol. That keeps stupid passengers from putting their knees near my shifter though. You have to be careful with the height or else your knees will end up in the steering wheel. I had to lower it down half an inch because of that.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Spend a day in a Neon SRT-4 seat before you decide this is what you want to do. I liked the seats in my 1st gen R/T much better, and ended up putting the OE seats from my SRT-4 in storage and replaced them with the optional airbag seats for normal driving.
    Also swapped 1st Gen R/T seats into my Horizon, and may do the same for my Rampage.

I had an SRT-4 for two years, I remember how they fit me. I'm 6' 200lbs, so it wasn't that bad for me.

I just never found the appeal of them. And kids want as much money for them as you can buy real racing seats for, you know with slots for the harnesses and stuff.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I just never found the appeal of them. And kids want as much money for them as you can buy real racing seats for, you know with slots for the harnesses and stuff.
    Haven't sourced prices for them in a long time, I figured as cheap as those SRT-4's are selling used for...they've probably gone down considerably in the 9 years since I've owned one.

turbo addict

I paid $375 shipped for a front pair from LKQ. It cost me $40 to get the foam repaired on the bolster from a local shop

Quote Originally Posted by QwikEVO View Post
    Haven't sourced prices for them in a long time, I figured as cheap as those SRT-4's are selling used for...they've probably gone down considerably in the 9 years since I've owned one.

Perhaps you are correct. Especially since most are probably pretty worn by now.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

I picked up a set for $150 a few years back, so they aren't too expensive if you keep your eyes open. As thedon804 shows above, the bottoms of the SRT4 seats are so very different than most tds that it will require a little bit of fabrication to make them work. This is the reason i've never got the seats in my R/T, I cant weld.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Garrett booster

I've got plenty of fabrication friends here, so that won't be a problem. ; )