Thread: External WG sizing?

turbo addict

External WG sizing?

Im wanting to put a external WG on my turbo 2.0 neon while I have it all apart. Im going to a built bottom end, megasquirt, and 20g turbo. Shooting for over 300hp. Im wanting to go to a external WG, but am working on a budget. Most of my friends locally are running 38's on their 4cyl. A buddy of mine has a 60mm that I can get for next to nothing but I am afraid if it might be to big and not be able to regulate the boost very well. Will it work, or will I be regretting it down the road?

Thanks!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: External WG sizing?

I don't think having an oversize wastegate will be a problem. You'd start having issues with boost creep when they are too small.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

From Turbosmart:

Big Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate
    Big Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
    Small Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
    Small Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate

That's not to say a large wastegate won't work

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

The larger one might be a bit "touchy" in that a small movement of the valve will yield a bigger opening compared to a smaller unit, so if you can control its movement accurately, no problem.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

With a really big gate the control will be coarse compared to a smaller gate. If the placement is good a 38 should do the job just fine.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

60mm would be a fun thing to pick up. I would think a higher quality large one will also be more stable then a lower quality unit. Would your friend be offended if you traded that with someone else?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

No he probably wouldn't. But a few of my friends have had nothing but trouble lately with ebay gates. I have no desire to run one, and no ones gonna trade me a tial or equivalent for this one I dont think. When you say coarse do you mean a slight spike? I can live with a slight spike, be better then the creep I am afraid I am going to get using the internal WG.

turbo addict

Not really a spike. I used a progate 48mm on a p trim turbine and on the data logs the boost had a stepped look to it. The variation was about 1.5 lbs from high to low. Is the 60mm gate a brand name or a knockoff?

turbo addict

Its a knockoff, dont remember the brand. It was bought years ago when you could still get good products from china. My buddy bought it on the recommendation of a local tuner that had been using them with good results.

It would be going on my neon, its a 2.0. Turbo will be a mitsu 20g that has a 10.5 hotside. At first, I want to run low boost as I get the MS tuned I am going to crank it up. I wont have the drivetrain to max out the turbo, so probably around 15psi. Ive read the turbo I am using has spike issues once you open up the exhaust so I am wanting to ditch its internal gate and go to a external. I guess if I really had issues I could maybe use a "restrictor plate"?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I'm running a 46mm external on my 2.4 turbo. I'm using grainger valves to control boost and am running a max of 25 psi of boost (for now). I don't have any problems and really like the stability of the external over the internal.