Thread: Oil level in the pan while running

turbo addict

Oil level in the pan while running

This question has been asked many, many times. I personally remember Ed Peters saying that while the engine is running at full tilt that there is only about about 1 quart in the pan. I've even quoted this.

I would like to know if that is actually accurate. I feel bad that I've quoted a "fact" that I've not heard of being proven by anybody else.

I wonder if Warren Stramer or Ken (5digits), or anybody else for that matter have any real world experience with this? If I had a running engine I'd seriously consider putting a window in a pan to really find this out, but I don't.

I think this is a fairly important piece of information that a lot of people would like to know. So, can the information I remember from Mr. Peters be confirmed? I certainly would like to know, and I want to make sure the information that I've given is accurate.

turbo addict

Re: Oil level in the pan while running

Have somebody go check the dip stick while the engine is idling?

turbo addict

Due to windage this doesn't work well.

turbo addict

I had a clear plastic tube installed in an oil pan in my 428 Pontiac for this very reason. My oil level would drop less than 3 quarts at around 3000 RPM. Total capacity was 7.5 quarts. I really doubt that is as low as you are quoting Ed Peters. We had both 4 and 5 quart pans in our vehicles. The early 84-86 2.2 turbos used five quarts, while the newer supposedly improved design (sump pan) only had a 4 quart capacity. So with that theory, a four quart pan could leave you with virtually nothing at WOT. It would obviously be sucking air and oil at this point which would starve lash adjusters (and everything else). Ed Peters also correctly states to run pickup like 5/8" off the floor of pan. Combining the two and the oil pump would be sucking nothing but air at WOT! At a minimum, lash adjusters would be making all kinds of racket if that was the case. The only time I hear this is when guys are running autocross without some sort of windage tray.
    IMO, too many variables to make that statement. What rod side clearance your running, oil pump relief spring, what size oil restrictor for head, high/std. volume pump, vertical bearing clearance, etc.
    We all have either ran or heard of people that only add oil to their vehicles after oil CEL (idiot) light comes on or starts to flicker when taking corners. Experience tells me they are down to between 1-2 quarts left in pan when this happens, or down at least several quarts from capacity.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 01-30-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: tried to make my point more clear

turbo addict

Thank you for the real world experience lesson! I appreciate it quite a bit. It gives me an idea on how much fluid to use to test my baffle design.