Thread: 400 Horse, 88 pound, 3 cylinder Nissan

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

400 Horse, 88 pound, 3 cylinder Nissan

John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

boostaholic

Re: 400 Horse, 88 pound, 3 cylinder Nissan

you treed me,
    http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...-rc-powerplant

While American car companies are working hard at maximizing profits for the shareholders, it's nice to know others are working on problems. This engine has potential for anything, can't wait to see it at LeMons.

turbo addict

I need one in a Elio, stat!

How about swapping one into an Omni?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

If you look closely at the pics, I think you'll notice it's got several very unique design features.

1. From the looks of the water jacket in the head, I believe it has no head gasket, or at least an oil-only gasket.
    2. The head bolts are in the crankcase. Look at the end of the head. The headbolt bosses are not open at the top.

With no headgasket to worry about, boost is pretty much only limited by what the piston/rod/crank can take. Cool stuff...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I'm fairly certain Nissan is being sued for patent infringement because this is basically a copy of the Delta Wing car.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    If you look closely at the pics, I think you'll notice it's got several very unique design features.

1. From the looks of the water jacket in the head, I believe it has no head gasket, or at least an oil-only gasket.
    2. The head bolts are in the crankcase. Look at the end of the head. The headbolt bosses are not open at the top.

With no headgasket to worry about, boost is pretty much only limited by what the piston/rod/crank can take. Cool stuff...
    Sounds similar to the old Offenhauser engines and some old Mercury Marine outboard engines ...hmmmm....

turbo addict

all I can think is ... wicked motor for garden tractor raceing ..

or maybe a jet drive sea flea

Hybrid booster

Or on a motorcycle...

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Or on a motorcycle...
    Yes, that was my first thought but it would have to be de-tuned.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Yes, that was my first thought but it would have to be de-tuned.
    Why??

turbo addict

This is the technology that I like to see. Does look like a copy of the delta wing. I'd like to see this class go far. Another cool thing I have seen is an air actuated valve train by one of the super car makers.

turbo addict

You are thinking of Koeniggsegg. I saw the article that said that it is air actuated, but if you watch the videos that they have put out about it, it is described as being electric "solenoids". I think the confusion comes from that the F1 cars use Nitrogen filled "bags" for valve springs, so they are considered semi-pneumatic. The electrically controlled valve system was tried back in the early/mid '90's, but didn't get far due to technology limits at the time.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    You are thinking of Koeniggsegg. I saw the article that said that it is air actuated, but if you watch the videos that they have put out about it, it is described as being electric "solenoids". I think the confusion comes from that the F1 cars use Nitrogen filled "bags" for valve springs, so they are considered semi-pneumatic. The electrically controlled valve system was tried back in the early/mid '90's, but didn't get far due to technology limits at the time.

In the vids I watched they had it running on an old Saab and they claimed some huge gains in power and fuel efficiency by being able to do whatever they wanted with the profile of the cam basically and also said the only thing limiting an engines rpm would be the bottom end holding together. Awsome stuff

turbo addict

Yup, same car, same engine, and same video. This is a new video with a magazine editor in it (I think I got that right).