Thread: J body Lebaron convertable boot question

J body Lebaron convertable boot question

I just got a used boot for my 89 GTC. I'm having troubles figuring out what holds the middle up along the rear edge. It looks like I'm missing a piece or something according to the owners manual. Is there a bracket or something thats supposed attached to the chrome molding that runs along the rear of the top well?

Thanks,

Ben Huebner
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

Re: J body Lebaron convertable boot question

It's right on the rear seat. Shoud just clip to it. The very back side just flaps around in the wind a bit, but it's heavy so it's usually not a problem.

Garrett booster

I have an 88 Labaron and the rear of my boot has a lip that slides through a plastic piece just forward of the chrome trim. It runs nearly the length of the back side of the boot. Also two tabs are on the outside edges of the boot, they are to be tucked into this same piece of molding on the outer edges. I know...not explained very well...
    88 LeBaron convertible 2.5 T2 {garrett} w/555 T-U 3bar plus 40 cal mildly ported swirl w/back-cut valves 86 supra front mounted I/C 223whp@19psi 14.352 @ 99.25mph RETIRED '87 SC (GLHS CLONE) TII with stage II MP currently a/t '89 Voyager factory 2.5 turbo 5spd garrett, 3" from dp back '86 Chysler T&C TII conversion

I think Im missing the plastic piece that runs the length of the crome trim on the rear. I will have to look at a couple of convertables in the junk yard.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Talking Re: J body Lebaron convertable boot question

If I remember correctly: Ya hook the front lip then tug like hell to snap the rear in position.(or vice/versa)When it sagged I'd bump the top up button till it looked good. I'd bridge the topwell with a 2x6 when parading the prom queen around too

turbo addict

IIRC first you slide the front egde through the rear seat C-trim. Then there are two prongs that are supposed to slide in to the trim at the corners of the rear chrome trim along the back. After that you clip the two hold downs on each side that are on top of the b-pillars. I do know that there are two ways that these boots are held on. Some use chrome bunge clips in the back with a different kind of front holding mechanism. The other is this style I just oulined. I've never run in to the other kind of set-up to actually use it, but I know my '89 had it. I couldn't use the later boot I got for a '91-95. I had to go to the yard and get the propper trim peiced to work. Once I sis that it worked GREAT!