Thread: Made new fuel lines & bending tips

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Made new fuel lines & bending tips

I'm going to be running E85 in my SRT4 van and want to make sure I have enough fuel. I was having an issue with my return line being too small and causing my fuel pressure to flutter so I ran a 3/8" soft line temporarily to alleviate that. I made the pressure line out of 3/8" stainless steel and when I drop the tank to put in a bigger fuel pump (I think I'm going to go with the Deatschwerks DW300) that's when I'll make the return line out of 3/8" stainless steel also.

I found when bending the line to put the tool in the vise to free up one hand to hold the line you are trying to duplicate. When you are making a bend, always hold the line you're duplicating so the bend is down. I found it's a lot easier to duplicate the bend if I'm holding the line so the bend is down instead of to the side. I also used hose clamps to hold the line together temporarily while bending because after a few bends it was getting too long to hold them together.

I used my brake line flaring tool to make a bulge at the end.

boostaholic

Re: Made new fuel lines & bending tips

Nice! A local friend and myself just got done doing almost the same thing last night on a 92 Lebaron resto. Did 3/8" S/S feed line and 1/4" S/S return and all 3/16" brake lines with S/S gravel guard. I will have to post pics of ours too.

turbo addict

Nice tips!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, so that's what it's like to have something left of the old line when you need to run the new one. Thanks for the tips AJ. I really like the idea of putting the tool in the vise.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Looks really good A.J. I've bent up new lines for a Spirit R/T twice now, and I now it takes a lot of patience, skill, and experience to make them look that good. Especially when you have two lines (supply/return) that you want to follow each other back to the tank nicely. Well done.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I got the back half of the return line done today. I would have done the whole thing but I was short 6" of line. It's probably better that I do it in two sections since it's so long.

I had to reform the hold-downs. The original 5/16" X 2 + 3/16" wasn't going to work for 3/8" X 2 + 3/16".

Great job and lots of nice pics too...it's neat to see how clean the bottom of your van is
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]