Thread: Turbo Upgrade Options?

Hybrid booster

Arrow Turbo Upgrade Options?

Hey Guys,

I am considering a turbo upgrade in the future. I am currently running a ported mitsu at around 18 to 20psi. I saw the s50 large package on fwd performance but I am not sure if it would be too large. I am also looking at getting a stock garrett, and porting it.

What do you guys think? When would it spool, etc. My 89 van is a 5 speed 2.5, and I am using it mainly for drag racing.
    - Engine: custom 3" intake, 3" exhaust, big intercooler, fwdp stage 3 which will be changed to 5 once I get the turbo, otherwise stock.

-Jeff

turbo addict

Re: Turbo Upgrade Options?

What's your HP goal? I have a T04E 46 trim with .63 turbine housing for sale.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I wouldn't shy away from a hybrid turbo based on what you've written. I would think that with some tuning you should be able to hit whatever boost level you want by 35-3800RPM.

turbo addict

what head and intake manifold are you using with the turbo you want?

Hybrid booster

The head/ intake are currently stock. I'm looking to get into the mid 13's or better. Maybe 250 wheel hp? I plan on running 26" slicks.

turbo addict

I would stick with a Garrett with a 2.5 sv. Adjust from there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

if you keep the stock head I'd go for a turbo like tryingbe has a 46trim T3/T4. A buddy has a 5spd van with a garrett, ATP SV, 3" CAI, W/A IC with 3" exhaust and is overspinning it at 18psi so much so he just nuked the turbine wheel. He's going to put his Menegon head back on as soon as he get's it back and a big plenum intake with a GT30R.

turbo addict

s50 and s60, what is the difference?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Super50 is a T4 compressor size, Super60 is still a T3 compressor.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    s50 and s60, what is the difference?
    Turbonetics Super 60, made to be a TII Garrett replacement upgrade.

T04E 50 trim, from the T04E family, makes big power (300-500hp).

Super 50, Turbonetic's T04E 50 trim with a bigger exducer, supposedly help with faster spool and more power.

No picture.

Click Refresh map.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...58&map_sel2=79

Hybrid booster

Is the fitment on the s50 large package from fwd performance the same as a stock garrett?

I am leaning towards getting a big turbo now, and upgrade the head/intake,exhaust manifold when I blow a head gasket.

If it gets full boost on the 2.5 around 3500 rpm I'll be happy.

Edit: Also, replacing the turbo in the car. Is the best way to drop the k-frame, or do something with the motor mounts? Or any other method? I already took the mitsu out to port it, but it is a small turbo and I'm assuming it comes out and goes back in easier than a big turbo.

Thanks

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

A correct T04E compressor cover will require some modification to fit. Either an exhaust manifold designed with this in mind, like Turbos Unleashed offers, or a custom piece. Historically people have also got away with grinding away a corner of the cylinder head and/or welding 90 degree elbo's on their compressor outlets to get the big T04E compressor housing to clear with a stock type manifold.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

should be able to get the turbo in and out without removing the kframe. You'll have to cut the hose connection off the compressor housing and have a cast 90 welded on at minimum. I think with some careful fab you could get away with a 45 to have less of a direction change right out of the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    should be able to get the turbo in and out without removing the kframe. You'll have to cut the hose connection off the compressor housing and have a cast 90 welded on at minimum. I think with some careful fab you could get away with a 45 to have less of a direction change right out of the turbo.
    Agreed on all accounts. I could put any turbo in my omni with the head on and no big parts removed. If you plan carefully I've seen guys leave the head alone and weld a 45* bend onto the turbo with the cover clocked just right. One guy did a great job with a couple of 45s so that it came off the turbo and then pointed straight ahead as it went from the stock 2" at the cover to 2.5" where it would go to the IC. That was sweet looking.

Hybrid booster

Sounds like a good choice. I feel if I go for the hybrid I should install a ported head, intake, and exhaust mani.
    But the garrett I would just bolt on with the stock stuff.

I may look into getting a super 60 setup.

With a stock head and manifolds I would be very reluctant to run a hybrid turbo. A S60 would probably be great for that though.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    With a stock head and manifolds I would be very reluctant to run a hybrid turbo. A S60 would probably be great for that though.
    +1 on the s60. I ran a .60/.63 on my dd and I think it is a great turbo for a street car. I had it on a 2.5 and a 2.2. On the 2.5 I had creep issues with the stock wastegate. On the 2.2 no problems and builds boost pretty quickly.

turbo addict

He's got the intake, intercooler, an exhaust to meet his goal of 3500rpm spool up with a 46trim T3/T4 setup on his 2.5. That S60 on a 2.5 will hit full boost by 2500rpms or sooner. I'd be willing to bet a 50trim T3/T4 would be singing right along by 3500rpms. Though I would want to port the exhaust manny and run a 2 piece at minimum just to have a bit better response.

That's true. I would think that the S60 would have more area under the curve with the stock head and manifolds though.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's true. I would think that the S60 would have more area under the curve with the stock head and manifolds though.
    Exactly