Thread: Building my own Strut Brace

boostaholic

Building my own Strut Brace

Been doing a lot of reading on here and on other forums and I am looking to build my own strut brace for me R/T. From my research a welded steel design will give me the greatest benefit for the cost. I plan to make the mounting plates out of 3/16" steel plate and the connecting tube will be square rectangular tubing, 1" x 2" all welded. Here is what I quickly drew up at work today:

Does it help on your cars (1992 Daytona IROC R/T) to tie the brace to the firewall?
    What other designs have you guys built for your cars?
    Looking for what works and what does not work.
    Will this help me while auto-crossing next summer?

turbo addict

Re: Building my own Strut Brace

It always helps to triangulate it to the fire wall as well. FYI while it'll help in Auto X'ing it might move you up a class. If you haven't yet, a rear brace does wonders for the tona's.

boostaholic

I've heard the firewall is weak on these cars and it doesn't pay to tie into it.
    I have plenty of engine mods, i am going to get thrown in a class I have to chance in, just doing it for the fun. I've heard both ways on the rear brace, do you recommended it? I could build one once it warms up, got some designs in the work for a removable one.

turbo addict

The firewall has weak points. I haven't heard that tying into it doesn't pay though. Why does the firewall crack? Because the strut towers are pulling around on it as you take corners and hit bumps. If you make it one unit the firewall isn't going to flex as much. Right??? That's my thoughts on it anyway. Also might want to brace the front a-arm points to eachother.

As for the rear I do recommend it greatly. It helps exponentially more than the front one does. I have mine attached at the rear seat latches then triangulated into the rear seat bolts. It's removable but because it's right up against the rear seats it's never in the way unless I have to have something that requires the rear seats down. That being said I've never removed it. The car is night and day better at cornering, hitting bumps while cornering and the ride in general is worlds better, especially for any rear seat passengers. I can jack up a rear corner of the car, set a jack stand under that corner and open and close all the doors and hatch like the car was sitting flat on the ground. The rear seat latches are directly above the spring perches so all the force from the springs when you hit a bump is transmitted directly up to the brace.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    The firewall has weak points. I haven't heard that tying into it doesn't pay though. Why does the firewall crack? Because the strut towers are pulling around on it as you take corners and hit bumps. If you make it one unit the firewall isn't going to flex as much. Right??? That's my thoughts on it anyway. Also might want to brace the front a-arm points to eachother.

As for the rear I do recommend it greatly. It helps exponentially more than the front one does. I have mine attached at the rear seat latches then triangulated into the rear seat bolts. It's removable but because it's right up against the rear seats it's never in the way unless I have to have something that requires the rear seats down. That being said I've never removed it. The car is night and day better at cornering, hitting bumps while cornering and the ride in general is worlds better, especially for any rear seat passengers. I can jack up a rear corner of the car, set a jack stand under that corner and open and close all the doors and hatch like the car was sitting flat on the ground. The rear seat latches are directly above the spring perches so all the force from the springs when you hit a bump is transmitted directly up to the brace.
    Do you have a pic of that setup?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes, a pic please, pretty please?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

boostaholic

I would also greatly appreciate some pictures of this, this brace will go high on my list of projects if this is the case.

Also modifying my strut brace to tie it into the firewall now.

Great ideas!

turbo addict

sorry I built it so long ago that a 1 megapixel camera was a fortune to own so I don't have any digital pics of it. I also left it in the t-top car I built it in when I sold it except for the 2 triangulating pieces and have not yet built another for the hardtop car I purchased to replace it as it's not running. It was built from square steel and plate stock so it's not too hard to reproduce.

boostaholic

What other details can you remember. I will start mocking something up and drawing prints.
    What model and year car?
    Did you have to cut up the interior panels?
    Was it welded or bolted to the car, I assume the steel was welded to the plate stock?
    How was it attached near the seat latches and the rear seat bolts?
    I know this was a long time ago but any details you can remember will help, planning on fabbing this up for a Daytona hardtop.

You definitely sparked my interest here.

boostaholic

Finished fabrication and added a fresh coat of paint. Installed and ready to go.

Nice work, looks really clean. Did you build it in the 70s? Got any other pics you can scan in from your Polaroid camera?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

Took that in the driveway with my iPhone 5s, I'll take another tomorrow in the sun, does look vintage thou.

Yeah just being sarcastic. I mean it though, looks really good and if it is as good as it looks, more pics are definitely desired!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I was planning to do a new thread, but decided to resurect this one, to show my rear strut brace, on my '87 Daytona track car.
    Attachment 51589Attachment 51590Attachment 51591
    The brace mounts into the top shock mounts, and allows the rear seat to be up.
    I welded standoffs, on the inside, to make the mounting points flat and allow the interior plastic to be installed.
    I have not driven it yet, but think it will be plenty strong, and easily removable.

turbo addict

sorry but the attachments don't work

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace, Rear-1.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	51602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace, Rear-2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	51603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace, Rear-3.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	51604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace, Rear-1.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	51602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace, Rear-2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	51603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace, Rear-3.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	51604

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but I can't seem to post photos. I guess I'll have to learn how, then resubmit.

turbo addict

the attachments of photos are messed up right now. Not sure if the site owner is going to fix it. Your 2nd post at least allowed us to see the pics.

Hybrid booster

Those are his pics last three are repeats