Thread: dash removel, its cold! help!

Garrett booster

dash removel, its cold! help!

How do I remove the dash in my 85 omni? New to these cars and having a heck of a time getting this out. I got the gauges out and most of the wires unplugged glove box out, steering plastics off carpet out and tried removing the metal plate on top but cant? Its like 20 degrees here and im cold and want the dash out so I can begin rewiring the car and I don't get many days to work on this car so any help fast would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

I'll probably figure it out two minutes after I post this now!

Hybrid booster

Re: dash removel, its cold! help!

metal plate has 4 screws holding it down I believe. remove those and it comes off easy

Martin

Garrett booster

I only found 2. Found two bolts down low on the side that look like they need to come off, but ill look harder thanks

Two nuts one on either side, like 4-6 8mm screws up top under the cowl and two bolts under the steering wheel that have to be removed in order to slide the dash out. You'll probably run into an issue with the vents and the wiring going to the dash, so just disconnect the bulk connector from the firewall inside the car and that should help. It's not easy that's for sure, but as long as you don't pull the air control system (big black thing under the dash) you're good. Be sure to disconnect the vacuum lines and the hard wire vent arm lever thingy from the air control system before you do pull it though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Figured out the steering wheel part, found four bolts by the radio unplugged the bulk head, need to do the vent thing and vac lines, thanks for the help. Is there bolts under this plate I cant get out on top?

turbo addict

I'll echo Jon on this.

Two phillips screws, then pull the metal cowl. Four 8mm bolts up top and two 10 mm on either side. You'll have to remove the column bolts to drop it down out of the way and pull the dash with the wiring attached. I just did this twice Sunday.

Garrett booster

Thanks for the help guys, of course every time I wrote on here I would figure something out, except the vent line thing and air vac line things which broke at the plug spot. Ingore the comment about the bolts by the radio. I wasnt sure how to get that plate off on top after the screws were out, I pryed on it and it wouldnt budge and didnt want to brake anything so I thought I was missing something, finally i gave her a little hell and ta-da bolts! Pretty simple after you figure it out, stupid until then. Some interior pieces were cracked in the removal of the interior so I was trying to be cautious later on, hence taking forever to figure out the top plate