Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction rubber weather stripping and gaskets

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Reproduction rubber weather stripping and gaskets

At the hobby shows I see these guys selling molding kits that allow you to make silicone molds to reproduce parts. If we had a really good set to start with, and the right material to use, perhaps we could build a mold and make some.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

http://www.alumilite.com/
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    At the hobby shows I see these guys selling molding kits that allow you to make silicone molds to reproduce parts. If we had a really good set to start with, and the right material to use, perhaps we could build a mold and make some.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

http://www.alumilite.com/
    I don't think that's dreaming, that's thinking outside the box. Heck at the very least we could remake some pieces for our cars.

http://www.alumilite.com/Application...estoration.cfm
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Assuming we're talking about the "end pieces" to be used with bulk "universal" seals, I'd suggest a 3D scan followed by a 3D printed mold.

Said the guy with no real experience with said equipment...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Splicing door seals can be, and is done. As long as the seal is hollow (I think most if not all are), then a small piece of flexible tubing that fits snugly inside the seal will allow a good splice.

A cross section of the seal is really all that is needed for the design of the shape of the seal as they are extrusions mostly. I don't really know how they incorporate the metal in the U-channel that some of these seals have that grip the body seam, but I think that would be the most challenging thing besides possibly needing pre-formed corners. I really don't think having them completely pre-formed to the door opening is totally needed, just as long as it is flexible enough to make the contours without kinking.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    First off, why does your post almost always have two!? I want two!!!! haha
    Just have to hack your Nook color to act as a regular tablet, and then for whatever reason, it'll double post... It has always tried to do that, but the site used to regulate the time between posts, so only one would get through.

Mike

edit: I think this is a deja vu... Seems I've done this before!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I don't think that's dreaming, that's thinking outside the box. Heck at the very least we could remake some pieces for our cars.

http://www.alumilite.com/Application...estoration.cfm
    I wonder what kind of material could be to reproduce our black foam rubber gaskets. I'd almost still need to find at least one perfect unused or nearly unused original.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

I used to have custom seals made when I had my glass business. There is universal for ALMOST every application. Door seals could be made from universal stock. Precision had most of what I needed to make stuff. There were a few other companies I used. But to have stuff made in low volume is expensive.

turbo addict

A long time ago I bought some Chrysler 300 door seals that looked like they would fit the L bodies....but they are long since misplaced after three moves.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by clocktowersniper View Post
    I used to have custom seals made when I had my glass business. There is universal for ALMOST every application. Door seals could be made from universal stock. Precision had most of what I needed to make stuff. There were a few other companies I used. But to have stuff made in low volume is expensive.
    So what would be the best approach? Should we focus on getting the ends made and use something generic? Does the idea of using ends and mating up to a common gasket type make sense? Is it feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    A long time ago I bought some Chrysler 300 door seals that looked like they would fit the L bodies....but they are long since misplaced after three moves.
    What year 300, like the newer ones? Got a part number or year you got them for? I'd be willing to see if the local dealer would let me test them, although I'm sure they are different enough. It should be easy, but it isn't.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post

I'm pretty sure the readily available door seals from a Jeep ZJ will work on a 4-door Lbody if that is what you are looking for. Would just have to be shortened.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

The door to body seals are pretty easy to do, Same for trunk seals. Its the seal that is on the door itself that could be tough because they have some right angled corners that are form fil. sometimes those can be grafted on to a new gasket if the corners are in good enough shape.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the readily available door seals from a Jeep ZJ will work on a 4-door Lbody if that is what you are looking for. Would just have to be shortened.
    Just tried the zj seals

No bueno

the bulb is about 11/16", which fills the gap in the front barely, with a tiny amount of compression. On the back door I had massive daylight showing between the seal and the door frame.

Hmm sorry about that. Thought they would have worked out better than that.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Garrett booster

Buying a set of fox body mustang seals next, will report!

Garrett booster

Garrett booster

http://www.americanmuscle.com/door-w...t-7993-MusOnly

bought a pair of these seals $35 shipped, and installed on drivers side front and rear '89 Horizon. both had to be trimmed a couple feet. the seals fit great, seal tight, and even put some pressure on the doors. couldn't be happier and the price is right at $70 shipped for a whole 4-door-L. just ordered another pair for the pass side

Hybrid booster

Can we use this on the two door Lbody?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I don't see how. The 4-door cars, like the Fox Mustang, have a full frame door that seats against the body. The 2-door L-bodies however have no frame around the door glass, much like cars from the '70s and before.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Has anyone tried looking at 80's or 90's Camaro door weather stripping for the 2dr L-body? The door windows are similar to the chargers in how they seal against the weather stripping. I have no idea if it would work, just wanted to throw it out there.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

I used this stuff for my car and it worked good, stiff at first but now it shuts fine.

(edit) photos didn't post up, I give up. will look for a link to it.
    Last edited by fishcleaner; 01-14-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast