Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction rubber weather stripping and gaskets

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Reproduction rubber weather stripping and gaskets

This is more of a general question.

These guys that I see on TV that are restoring these one-of-30 vehicles, the Wayne Carini crowd. What do they do for door seals and rubber weatherstripping?

Are the antique vehicles so old that the stripping was not complex enough to require custom stuff? Or are they paying big bucks to have one-off pieces made?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Reproduction rubber weather stripping and gaskets

I think a lot of the manufactures used the same stuff on their cars. I know when I was looking for parts for my 1953 Plymouth, a lot of the weatherstripping was either "universal", or would fit cars from the 30's- the early 50's. There wasn't as much variation way back when. Fender welt was fender welt. If a door seal worked, everybody used it. Cars were much simpler, and so was the sealing technology.

I'm sure there were all kinds of exceptions to the rule, and the guys on TV a lot of times have unlimited budgets, so they can pretty much do what they want.

I'm thinking out loud because the door seals on my Rampage aren't horrible, but if they were available to replace, I would get a set.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I know they sell universal strip you can cut to length and install yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I asked one company years ago and they weren't interested and then I sent an email a couple years ago and they were more inclined to help or take the order. I'm sure we could get it done, just wish the Rampages and Chargers were the same, would help the quantity to be higher for the same part and reduce the overall price, if someone is willing to do it. I'm sure they would need a good set though and from what I remember, that set may not get returned I think from the molding process. I could be wrong about that though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I'm thinking out loud because the door seals on my Rampage aren't horrible, but if they were available to replace, I would get a set.
    And they are special. I'm pretty lucky that the ones on my Scamp are still in good shape. The beltline weatherstripping on the other hand.... But I found a reasonable replacement for those. As soon as I get to that point and get them done, I'll post some how to pictures with part numbers & instructions.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I've always thought that if we could learn the vocabulary /vernacular, we could search more effectively.

One look in the JC Whitney catalog shows us there are many that might work, but I've never had money to throw away on a guesses. I'd love it if those guys had a customer service center that we could send samples to so they could definitely match samples to stock.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I've always thought that if we could learn the vocabulary /vernacular, we could search more effectively.

One look in the JC Whitney catalog shows us there are many that might work, but I've never had money to throw away on a guesses. I'd love it if those guys had a customer service center that we could send samples to so they could definitely match samples to stock.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

Mike
    First off, why does your post almost always have two!? I want two!!!! haha

Second, I'm all for using whatever is available or will be, but I'd rather get some made. I think the stuff from Whitney is generic and I would prefer if a company would make a set.

If someone will follow up with these guys and see what they can do, I will commit to investing in getting some made for the 2 door L body, within reason. I don't have the time to follow up on this and try and work things out, but I will be more than willing to invest (financially) to getting some made. Not trying to hijack the thread for the 2-door cars, just want to show my interest in getting something done.

http://metromouldedmfg.com/index.htm
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    First off, why does your post almost always have two!? I want two!!!! haha

Second, I'm all for using whatever is available or will be, but I'd rather get some made. I think the stuff from Whitney is generic and I would prefer if a company would make a set.

If someone will follow up with these guys and see what they can do, I will commit to investing in getting some made for the 2 door L body, within reason. I don't have the time to follow up on this and try and work things out, but I will be more than willing to invest (financially) to getting some made. Not trying to hijack the thread for the 2-door cars, just want to show my interest in getting something done.

http://metromouldedmfg.com/index.htm

I talked with another company that said they would make window scrapers for us. $2500 for the mold, and a minimum order of 1000 pieces. Fairchild Industries is the name of that place. Very pleasant to talk to, but I can't lay out that kind of cash right now...

It would be nice if somebody could take this by the horns and make it work...

Ive bought seals for my Jeep from Fairchild. Pretty good stuff.
    Universal stuff will work for a 4 door Lbody if you find the right size and don't care too much that the interior side is black instead of body color. In fact I am pretty sure the gaskets I purchased for my Jeep ZJ would work on an Omni if you just cut it a bit shorter.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

Door seals (inner and outer), inner window scrapers (outer ones are available from Omnipotent), and window track felts for all of our cars would be nice to have. I personally vote for G-body...but I'm a little biased! LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I'm just doubly good I guess ... actually it has something to do with my tablet, it sends twice for some reason, the site used to prevent it by "requiring x number of seconds between posts", but that restriction seems to be gone, so I'm doubling down, except when I'm on a "real" computer.

And now you know "the rest of the story"

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just doubly good I guess ... actually it has something to do with my tablet, it sends twice for some reason, the site used to prevent it by "requiring x number of seconds between posts", but that restriction seems to be gone, so I'm doubling down, except when I'm on a "real" computer.

And now you know "the rest of the story"

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Door seals (inner and outer), inner window scrapers (outer ones are available from Omnipotent), and window track felts for all of our cars would be nice to have. I personally vote for G-body...but I'm a little biased! LOL
    Scrapers and felt guides, sure, but the door seals on the Daytonas in my experience don't seem to deteriorate nearly as bad as the Charger's door glass-to-roof seals, mostly because when the door is closed, it blocks the sun. My Daytona just turned 220K and seals just fine, whereas both my Charger and GLHS have holes forming in the roof seal. I can't remember the last time I powerwashed the GLHS, but my seats get sprayed when I wash the Charger.

I think it's all produced in China. I found 50 Chinese companies making weatherstrip. Minimum order was 1,000.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Scrapers and felt guides, sure, but the door seals on the Daytonas in my experience don't seem to deteriorate nearly as bad as the Charger's door glass-to-roof seals, mostly because when the door is closed, it blocks the sun. My Daytona just turned 220K and seals just fine, whereas both my Charger and GLHS have holes forming in the roof seal. I can't remember the last time I powerwashed the GLHS, but my seats get sprayed when I wash the Charger.
    The bottom of the door seals on Daytona's get beat up pretty bad where your feet swing over the door sill. That's the major issue there. I do agree with everything you said, though.

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    I think it's all produced in China. I found 50 Chinese companies making weatherstrip. Minimum order was 1,000.

As sad as this is to say, I really wouldn't care where they were made, as long as somebody was making them....

Unfortunately, in this niche market, 1000 pieces would be a 10 year supply. There aren't many places willing to hang that much cash out there that long...

Look at it realistically. I mean, there are quite a few build threads on here and the "other" site, but count the number of actual vehicle currently being worked on. There may be 20 Daytonas, 20 Chargers, 15 Omnis, and maybe a dozen L-body pickups & "other" TM's. Where is somebody going to sell 1000 pieces of each body style?

Unfortunately guys, the numbers are against us. I hope some place like Omni-potent is eventually able to supply all our needs. That's why we need to support the vendors we have.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    As sad as this is to say, I really wouldn't care where they were made, as long as somebody was making them....

Unfortunately, in this niche market, 1000 pieces would be a 10 year supply. There aren't many places willing to hang that much cash out there that long...

Look at it realistically. I mean, there are quite a few build threads on here and the "other" site, but count the number of actual vehicle currently being worked on. There may be 20 Daytonas, 20 Chargers, 15 Omnis, and maybe a dozen L-body pickups & "other" TM's. Where is somebody going to sell 1000 pieces of each body style?

Unfortunately guys, the numbers are against us. I hope some place like Omni-potent is eventually able to supply all our needs. That's why we need to support the vendors we have.

True... for a run of 1000 sets for the Lbody trucks, every owner of every remaining one would have to order two. lol
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I talked with another company that said they would make window scrapers for us. $2500 for the mold, and a minimum order of 1000 pieces. Fairchild Industries is the name of that place. Very pleasant to talk to, but I can't lay out that kind of cash right now...

It would be nice if somebody could take this by the horns and make it work...
    What they SHOULD do is make the ends for us that allows mating or marrying up with a generic strip that would fit our windows and then a corner that is similar. That way we could get the Rampage and Charger guys at the same time to increase the count. Does that make sense? Reproduce the ends and the corner and allow THAT piece to fit into a standard weather strip, assuming that is possible. The lower door seals should be the same I would think. Aren't the doors the same size, just where the glass hits the pillars?

Ive bought seals for my Jeep from Fairchild. Pretty good stuff.
    Universal stuff will work for a 4 door Lbody if you find the right size and don't care too much that the interior side is black instead of body color. In fact I am pretty sure the gaskets I purchased for my Jeep ZJ would work on an Omni if you just cut it a bit shorter.
    Your comment is where I'm getting my idea. May not be feasible, but if it could work, we could have a higher count of participants in a buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Get thee G-body behind me SATAN!!!

True... for a run of 1000 sets for the Lbody trucks, every owner of every remaining one would have to order two. lol
    Well I know for sure I'd be down for at LEAST 6 sets given that I have 3 Chargers. Only 997 to go!

Again, I'm up to getting this going as long as it helps. My expectation would be to get that money back somehow. Heck, people pay big bucks for things that just aren't commonly made all the time. I want to keep my car for a while and I know that at the least I need A good set and plan to keep my car long enough to go through two sets. In the long run, if there are no other options, the only ones are to either scrap the car and move on or pay for what you want.

Hybrid booster

That would be great! I have 4 I need them for.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

So in the catalog I grabbed off a table at work, they have countless weatherstrip styles. I wonder if there are similar items that will function the same way.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast