Thread: P body tach issues

turbo addict

P body tach issues

Trying to get my 88 shadow cluster working. Has worked intermittently since I got the car. The car has 66k unmolested miles on her. I reflows all the solder joints and every joint on the board on the top of the cluster all to no avail. Can anyone tell me if I can test with a multimeter if I'm getting the correct signal from the connectors that attach to the cluster. I need to check continuity and find all the printouts for the smec and such to check that. Anyone have a 88 body cluster they wanna sell? Haha. Thanks everyone.

Re: P body tach issues

Do you need the diagrams for the cluster? 89 ok or can someone verify it's the same? Let me know!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I'd like To verify that 88/89 are the same. I think I have a diagram for 89 but if you have It and could post It that would be great. My main question is how to test this thing without just throwing another cluster in

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to be doing a 5 speed swap so I'd like the tach. Have a working tach out of a 92 or 93 shadow so I could possibly re wire that to fit and then change the speed distance sensor to

My tach bumps around all the time, I haven't tried to track it down. I know for the 87 GLHS the grey/blue wire is the tach, I'm sure it's the same for all the cars. I would check that wire out and see if the signal is consistently sending data.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Another question is when changing the odometer to match your mileage while swapping a cluster how without tearing the thing apart does one change the numbers on a cluster without a speedo cable?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    My tach bumps around all the time, I haven't tried to track it down. I know for the 87 GLHS the grey/blue wire is the tach, I'm sure it's the same for all the cars. I would check that wire out and see if the signal is consistently sending data.

What should the data be? 0 to 5 volts or something like that?
    !

Hybrid booster

on the 91 up gauges, you take the speed gauge apart and remove the mile rollers, on the end there is a gear, you need a small electric motor to spin the gear to add miles, or turn it forever by hand. it only goes up so if your new gauge is high miles its stuck like that

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    on the 91 up gauges, you take the speed gauge apart and remove the mile rollers, on the end there is a gear, you need a small electric motor to spin the gear to add miles, or turn it forever by hand. it only goes up so if your new gauge is high miles its stuck like that

Will it roll over once it gets to 999999 or stop there? And i couldn't get the back board off and the needle on the speedo off either. Don't wanna break it

Go grab one from a yard and tinker with it. Just grab a crappy one so it doesn't matter if you break it and see how to take it off. I'm pretty sure the needles are just pushed on there and will come up or off if you do it carefully.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Go grab one from a yard and tinker with it. Just grab a crappy one so it doesn't matter if you break it and see how to take it off. I'm pretty sure the needles are just pushed on there and will come up or off if you do it carefully.
    The 88 cluster the needle comes right off. The 93 I was prying on it with a screwdriver no luck

As long as the needles all look the same, attempt the same effort with another gauge and see if they come off. Just thinking if you don't need the water temp gauge or you can break it, pry and pry and see if it comes off and if it breaks, you can then see how it should come off. MAYBE they glued them on or something, but I've always seen them to just be pressed on. The way I've gotten mine off before, I pinch the needle around where it mounts and use the tips of my fingers as a press against the face of the gauge. I'd be surprised if the needle is on any other way than pressed on. Probably just being stubborn. :-\

Hybrid booster

should go back to zero but it would take awhile, took about 20min to add 120,000 to my gauge
    i have a few that don't work around i can take apart and get pics, needle should pry off

turbo addict

I'm thinking once I re wire to run the 93 cluster I'm gonna hook the speed distance sensor to a drill and spin it that way instead of breaking it. Unless I can find another one