Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masi thermostat box GROUP BUY

turbo addict

Masi thermostat box GROUP BUY

This is for the Masi Thermostat Box machined by acannell

For the R&D discussion of this new product see here:

This thermostat box for the Masi engine will feature:

-CNC machined out of billet 6061-T6 aluminum
    -compatible with stock oring, thermostat, thermostat housing, bleed valve,and bolts
    -mounts in stock location with no modifications required to anything
    -same heater nipple diameter as stock
    -same internal bore diameters as stock
    -deletion of blind small nipple next to heater nipple
    -shape will be similar to stock

I'm asking $145 shipped to USA or Canada.

The plan for the group buy is as follows:

-Get at least 10 people to verbally (on the forum) "commit" to buying one. This may take weeks or months. During this time the technical discussion can continue and the features or specific changes can be requested.

-Once at least 10 people have committed, I'll need to receive a 50% down payment from all of them. Hopefully that only takes a few days.

-Then I will finish the design, make a prototype, send it to someone in the forum to verify fitment (I dont have a Masi engine).

-If the design needs to be tweaked for fitment, I'll do that, then I'll machine all the ordered thermostat boxes and ship them out within 4 weeks, and thats when the remaining 50% would be due.

The models pictured below are based on measurements I made of a stock masi tstat housing. I think they are 90% correct. The final model and finished part WILL look somewhat different for machinability reasons and if any other changes are made in the design thread, but overall it will basically be a stock replacement that looks fairly stock.

Also pictured is something I made for the 2.2/2.5 community, which only took 72 hours from project start until machined working prototype, as an example of my work.

So if you would like to purchase one of these, just say so in this thread, and I'll keep a running list in this thread. Please only commit if you actually plan on putting the 50% down when the time comes and the rest when I ship them.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Current list is:

1. iTurbo
    2. iTurbo

turbo addict

Re: Masi thermostat box GROUP BUY

Asa,
    You or Jeremy or someone should post this on AACA and TC yahoo forums for more exposure. That is where the TC enthusiasts hang out. I'll give it a couple days and if no one posts I'll post a link to get them here or TD forum.
    Todd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I did post a thread on the AACA TC forum about the new thermostat housing, with a link to the group buy on TD.com.

http://forums.aaca.org/f144/16v-ther...ng-365322.html

Not sure about the TC Yahoo forum though. I'm not a member there yet.

turbo addict

Just wanted to add that I'm on this list, too...if this is incentive for anybody to jump on seeing more names on the list....

Hybrid booster

Hmmmm. I have two housings. Put me down for a half of one. LOL. Love to see things like this happen

Really hoping you 16v guys get in on this. Maybe you have a Masi 16v project you're working on. Or maybe you have an all original Chrysler TC by Maserati with the 16v engine. Perhaps you are thinking of getting in on the Masi 16v thing because of the mad potential this engine has. Or just maybe you're like me and have a 16v head or two that didn't even come with a thermostat housing. Maybe your thermostat housing is experiencing corrosion issues or is just plain broke. Maybe you just really think billet aluminum CNC parts are just plain cool

Now is the time to get in on this Group Buy! They might not ever be available again, unless another GB comes up which is highly unlikely. Consider for a moment, the Group Buy that Todd helped put together for the Masi 16v adjustable cam sprockets...there hasn't been another one since and there probably never will be. I missed out on that GB unfortunately, and probably a few other things. Thankfully I was able to get in on the thermostat outlet piece that lengel did while they were available.

If this Group Buy is successful, it's possible other products for the Masi 16v may be available in the future. Who knows for sure, but support from this crowd can only help!

turbo addict

I'd buy one if I needed one for sure.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Oh, you NEED one! Trust me! If not, well, I'll drive out there and make sure you do!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Oh, you NEED one! Trust me! If not, well, I'll drive out there and make sure you do!
    Send Guido over to check on Jay! One "accident" away from needing one (lol). That is why I have two NOS windshields sitting in my basement for 4dr L-bodies. Don't need one at the moment, but one stone throw away from needing one. Lots of my buddies here in MN have 4 dr L-bodies, and they will be cryin when they find out even aftermarket windshields are becoming very tough to find.
    Todd

turbo addict

Someone can buy me one, I'm currently having a difficult time scrounging enough money together to get this project into a running state let alone buying spare parts.

turbo addict

Someone can buy me one, I'm currently having a difficult time scrounging enough money together to get this project into a running state let alone buying spare parts.
    Me too. I'm doing it little by little. As I can afford parts to make the build even better, I get them. I'm still fabbing stuff up for it, so the bottom end still isn't sealed up, so it gives me the opportunity to do this.

turbo addict

I got a PM from Larry Carlson (AZOrion) that he wants 2 of these. Unless something bad happens I think this puts us at 10! I'll need to contact Acannell so he can directly contact Larry, but I figured I'd update the group.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I got a PM from Larry Carlson (AZOrion) that he wants 2 of these. Unless something bad happens I think this puts us at 10! I'll need to contact Acannell so he can directly contact Larry, but I figured I'd update the group.
    im on it..i've PM'd him and im waiting to hear back.

i still havent heard back from sctc on AACA, so we might still be short three.

turbo addict

looks like AZOrion is onboard for two!

So if sctc confirms, then we are on. But its been more than a week so I think maybe he wont, although he seemed pretty clear in the thread that he wanted three.

So we are still waiting for three more from sctc or someone(s)

update

1. iTurbo
    2. iTurbo
    3. Reaper1
    4. 4-lbodies
    5. Argosy1430Z
    6. AZOrion
    7. AZOrion
    8. sctc (PENDING from AACA)
    9. sctc (PENDING from AACA)
    10. sctc (PENDING from AACA)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rofly1 View Post
    i would be interested in one thx roger
    awesome!

okay im taking sctc off the list for now..i think he hasnt logged in in a few weeks and might actually want to join in but i dont have any way to confirm this so..we need two more!

Heres the latest list! I havent heard back from sctc confirming he wants three, so we are still looking for 3 more to make 10..then its on!

1. iTurbo
    2. iTurbo
    3. Reaper1
    4. 4-lbodies
    5. Argosy1430Z
    6. AZOrion
    7. AZOrion
    8. rofly1

turbo addict

the requirement for 10 people has been met! and then some!

1. iTurbo
    2. iTurbo
    3. Reaper1
    4. 4-lbodies
    5. Argosy1430Z
    6. AZOrion
    7. AZOrion
    8. rofly1
    9. sctc
    10. sctc
    11. sctc

standby list
    12. 'Lil_omni

AND

the prototype has been machined!!

wow..that was a TON of work

it took me 5 days, about 12 hours a day, to get the CAM toolpath designed and the first prototype machined.

if I include the time it took to draw up the original model in solidworks, its about 7 days total I think.

thats more than twice as long as it took me to do the reverse cooling mod for the 2.x engine...this should have been both easier and similar in complexity but it wasnt..there were alot of 3 axis toolpaths and I broke some end mills from stupid mistakes. also I had to alter the design and experiment with two completely different 3 axis finishing strategies.

so, some important technical info:

ive deleted the large heater hose connection nipple. instead, it will be a 1" NPT threaded hole. this will allow people to have a choice of what they put there. a 1" stainless NPT fitting is less than $10 and should fit the stock hose.

the bleeder port is a large rectangular boss on the top, which I will tap to fit the stock bleeder valve. I should not that iTurbo's bleeder valve broke off when i tried to unscrew it by hand (sorrry!!), so if these rot away perhaps a different bleeder valve would be a good idea, and I can thread the hole to whatever size would be appropriate (preferably not NPT)

the prototype has two different finishes. the "bottom" with the smooth fillets is the side I will be doing for the production pieces. the fillets are smooth, and the main body surfaces have a 10 thou ridged surface..i think it gives it a nice industrial look! the last picture is the finish that the production units will have.

other than the above its basically the same as the stock one.

so now this prototype needs to have all the threading done (screw holes, 1" NPT) and then get sent to a forum member for fitment testing, since I dont have a masi engine

the tester should:

-have a masi engine with all the surrounding hardware (hood, manifold, whatever else goes in the immediate vicinity of the tstat box, including hoses and all stock hardware to bolt the housing to the head and the housing to the tstat)

-have a fresh oring or at least not a rock hard oring, for the head connection

-a good way to take lots of pictures

-preferably a pair of cheap dial calipers or at least a steel rule to measure distances, since i will be depending on those measurements to alter the design if needed

-time to do this..i.e. you have a spare hour on any day within the next week or so

-ill probably put the prototype up for auction or for sale once fitment testing is done, assuming it fits. so id ask whoever is doing the testing to drop it in the mail if it sells. i can email you a prepaid shipping label and you can tape it to the box it came in, and put it in your mailbox with the flag up. that easy!

If you are on the group buy list please chime in right now with your thoughts!! Once I start machining the production batch I dont want to be tweaking the design so speak now please!!

Very nice! No problem at all with the bleeder fitting breaking. I'm very appreciative that you've come this far with it!! I like the idea of a 1" NPT threaded nipple to give people the choice of heater hose size connections. Seriously quick on making a prototype here, I wasn't expecting something for quite a while and it's just been days!

I wonder who would be up for the testing/fitment? I wish I was, but I'm just not that far yet. I have a complete engine on a stand, but nothing in the car and running at this point.

GREAT WORK!!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Very nice! No problem at all with the bleeder fitting breaking. I'm very appreciative that you've come this far with it!! I like the idea of a 1" NPT threaded nipple to give people the choice of heater hose size connections. Seriously quick on making a prototype here, I wasn't expecting something for quite a while and it's just been days!

I wonder who would be up for the testing/fitment? I wish I was, but I'm just not that far yet. I have a complete engine on a stand, but nothing in the car and running at this point.

GREAT WORK!!!
    thanks!

im not sure if anyone will be willing to take the tstat housing apart/off on a running engine, so you may be the best one yet..if it doesnt hit the intake then it should be pretty clear that the oring is sealing, and that the hoses will fit, so that might be good enough (i.e. engine on a stand)

turbo addict

I think it looks pretty darn good! I also like having the threaded heater hose. It makes it a lot easier to fit a standard hose as the stock Masi hose that goes on there is a funky tapered thing.

I'm looking VERY forward to seeing the end product and using it on my project!

I've recieved the prototype part and have done some test fitting. First I installed it onto a bare head and it fits great! Slides right down over the studs and the 'odd' rhombus shape of the O-ring'd flange jives with the cylinder head nicely.

However, tonight I tried to install it onto a complete engine and could not install it due to clearance issues with the intake manifold. It just wouldn't fit down over the studs before hitting the manifold. I think this problem can be easily corrected though, and that is what prototype parts and test-fitting is for after all. We are getting close!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00010.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	48910

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast