Thread: 11" brake manual conversion question

turbo addict

11" brake manual conversion question

Yes, I've tried looking this up. I've found basically nothing. Everyone I've found that does a manual brake conversion is either in an L-body and/or using the 10.25" brakes because they drag race and are trying to loose weight.

I've been trying to do some math to see if aftermarket racing type master cylinders or entire pedal assemblies can be used with the stock 11" brake system. So far it's been a lot of measuring and figuring, but no real conclusions as I haven't taken the calipers apart (and really don't want to).

My best guess at the moment is that due to the stock pedal ratio (3.3 confirmed by physically measuring), the pressure required for locking the brakes (this is a requirement because if you can't lock them, you don't have enough brakes), and the volume of fluid required to actuate the stock single-piston floating calipers just don't play nicely with a manual brake conversion.

If anybody out there has done this, or knows of somebody that has done this successfully, I'd REALLY like to know. I would love to get that gigantic brake booster out of the way!

Hybrid booster

Re: 11" brake manual conversion question

Talk to allardtom on the other site, if you cant get your answers here. He converted his brakes on both his hemi daytonas to manual. For his new one i believe he used a viper mbc and wilwood discs. I think he kept a stock system in his blue one until he said he needed more brake.

turbo addict

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

I'm still open for others to chime in as well!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What are your concerns with this? The volume of fluid needed vs. the pressure needed to actuate the pedal?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    What are your concerns with this? The volume of fluid needed vs. the pressure needed to actuate the pedal?
    Yes, exactly. Tom, the guy with the RWD Hemi Daytona's, used a 2010 Challenger M/C, but with Willwood fixed calipers. Floating calipers take more volume to actuate, even more than multi piston fixed calipers. When the pads are new it's not going to be quite as bad, but I don't want to find out I have no brakes when they are worn down a bit.