Thread: T1 to T2 conversion question I have not seen asked

Garrett booster

T1 to T2 conversion question I have not seen asked

In the conversion threads I always see the reason given for the need to update the electronics is the number of wires on the IAC. Why not mod the IAC or adapt the old TB to the new T2 intake. I've see it done in other makes for various reasons so seems like a possibility to me here. I admit its not like I have the pieces in front of me to look as I write this. So has this been considered? Basically a hardware only swap?

I have an 84 Daytona but right now my engine mod plans are pretty simple, I'm just curious.

turbo addict

Re: T1 to T2 conversion question I have not seen asked

Someone here has or had a throttle body with the old IAC modified to fit in the newer throttle body. It would work but some argue that the TI calibration may not work right with the TII setup.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone here has or had a throttle body with the old IAC modified to fit in the newer throttle body. It would work but some argue that the TI calibration may not work right with the TII setup.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Not 100% sure but I thought the newer IAC was designed much better to control idle. Also the T1 TB was smaller in diameter. Might as well add the wire for both of the benefits.

turbo addict

cause it's easier to just re-wire for the new AIS, and you can actually get them at the parts store.

Hybrid booster

Yes the old iac is a pain. For any car 85+, going to t2 87 electronics is the easiest way to go. You can add two wires abd run a 2-BAR glhs cal, or add two wires and swap a few aroubd at the connector and have an 87 cal.The only people that really benefit from the early iac adapter are the 84 turbo car owners. Beyond swapping in a different car harness, a t2 swap is near impossible.And yes, two injectors fire more fuel than the other two on a log setup but there are workarounds.

Garrett booster

Is there actually an early iac adapter out there?
    either way you guys all pretty much answered the question, just wanted to know if there was some reason that made it impossible.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Shayne is trying to make an old IAC fit a T2 setup, its a royal PITA, just rewire and be done with it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

What is making it so difficult?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG_SRT4 View Post
    In the conversion threads I always see the reason given for the need to update the electronics is the number of wires on the IAC. Why not mod the IAC or adapt the old TB to the new T2 intake. I've see it done in other makes for various reasons so seems like a possibility to me here. I admit its not like I have the pieces in front of me to look as I write this. So has this been considered? Basically a hardware only swap?

I have an 84 Daytona but right now my engine mod plans are pretty simple, I'm just curious.

The very first T-I log car I helped a friend intercool back around 1997 we ground out the IAC to accept the older unit and it worked properly.

After that I didn't bother with the IAC and just set the base idle with the adjustment screw. That worked fine unless it was really cold and I would have to feather the gas for the first few seconds.

About a year ago someone on Turbo Dodge was offering IAC adaptors but I can't find a link.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    The very first T-I log car I helped a friend intercool back around 1997 we ground out the IAC to accept the older unit and it worked properly.

After that I didn't bother with the IAC and just set the base idle with the adjustment screw. That worked fine unless it was really cold and I would have to feather the gas for the first few seconds.

About a year ago someone on Turbo Dodge was offering IAC adaptors but I can't find a link.

Thanks
    Randy
    Good info thanks! Dunno how far I will ever get mod wise but I've wondered about the possibility for a few weeks now.

Hybrid booster

Don't be intimidated by the wiring work. It's honestly easier to repin the coonectors at the logic module and add the wires you need to than it is to do the grinding and hacking.

Depending on the year of your car, converting to the 87 TII style logic module opens up a lot of tuning options too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    That worked fine unless it was really cold and I would have to feather the gas for the first few seconds.
    Thanks
    Randy
    If you have the ability to tune the ECU or can tell the tuner that tunes your ECU if you bump the cold timing at idle under 100 degrees engine temp up 2-4 degrees you won't have to hold your foot on the throttle if you don't have an AIS. I disable the AIS on all my 5spd cars. I don't like a fast cold idle, I also don't like to be pushed down the parking lot at 10mph when in gear if I don't want to be. Also when you snap the throttle shut on a shift the rpms drop nice and fast so you're matching revs better on the shift.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

The early idle speed motors were unreliable as hell, I'm sure the aftermarket ones are worse compared to the factory units.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

You guys have to remember, he owns an 84. A bastard child. Tuning will be near impossible (if you can figure out the 84 cal you will make money!) And doing a simple TII wiring swap is anything but.Yes I have seen people mod an iac from the eary log to the blow through intake. The only people that benefit are 84 owners so they dont have to convert everything over, which requires a complete harness swap or megasquirt.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG_SRT4 View Post
    What is making it so difficult?
    The T2 software won't correctly run the old IAC solenoid. Its only setup for the AIS stepper motor (4 wire).

If its that much if a problem for you to mod the wiring, then just don't run the IAC or AIS at all....

EDIT: Oh, its an 84... Not much you can do other than delete it...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Oh well I guess if its okay to just delete it that saves the hassle of whipping up an adapter. No idea if I will ever get that involved with this car.