Thread: A555 Intermediate Shaft Bearing Check

A555 Intermediate Shaft Bearing Check

I have the trans for my 89 CSX apart because the input shaft bearings were noisy. They weren't destroyed or even damaged looking but there was .020" end play on the input shaft so I'm replacing the bearings, races, and seal. The intermediate shaft front and rear bearing feel good as far as I can tell. They spin freely with no odd noises and very little side to side play if I twist on the rear bearing. Should I be planning on replacing this bearing or do you guys think it is ok? The bearing is only 30 bucks but it's a lot more messing around to get it on and off. The car has about 100,000 miles on it. The synchros look good and it shifted fine other than the input shaft noise when the clutch was out in neutral.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: A555 Intermediate Shaft Bearing Check

The 555 bearing is different than the 525/520 front bearing. I believe the 555 piece has been NS1 for the longest time now and there is no exact replacement currently available. I plan on running the good condition stock bearing in the trans that I'm currently rebuilding.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The 555-520 use/used the same front (wider, 12 roller element koyo bearing). The 525/465/460 used the torrington 13 roller element narrower bearing that is now the only option for a new bearing.

boostaholic

How does the shaft look? I would make sure there is no real imperfections in that. I would run the stock bearing if it passes the visual inspection. If you need I have the Miller tool for the 555 bearing removal you could "burrow". Are you gonna throw a moly plate in it for insurance?

Shaft looks good, don't see any oddities and the bearing looks / feels good. I think I'm going to order up a moly trans plate since I have it apart. I probably won't be pushing much past stock power but I'd rather make sure. I can usually get the bearing tool from a friend so that's not an issue if I want to change it but I'm going to leave well enough alone. This car will probably get 1000 miles max on it a year once I get done with it so it may even be overkill on the moly plate. My shop should be getting started in April/May and then I can get some things moved around and make room in the garage for a complete restore on the CSX.