Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

turbo addict

Re: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Automotive Nip/Tuck!

Hybrid booster

With me wielding the cutter its more like a botched hemorrhoid surgery lol. NOW we are PAST the point of no return.

turbo addict

Nah...nothing a welder can't fix!

Why do I see a hint of a Lancia in that picture? It kinda looks like a rally car in mid-air!

Hybrid booster

That's what I thought too, I can put the panel back in later if I need to. Here is a pic of the unit mounted up. I am going to add an active drop down air pick up after I get the fans wired up and the system charged. I also plan on adding a ground effect spoiler to mold the unit into the rear body. [IMG][/IMG]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Seems like it ought to have a nozzle to direct thrust!, might pick up a MPH or two!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Might even help my traction problem off the line lol!

Garrett booster

You my friend are a lunatic in the best possible way!

Awesome work and I look forward to your updates

Hybrid booster

Condenser unit is pretty much done. I have plans to get in on the car in the next week or so. Video might be a little loud at the end so watch your sound volume!

Hybrid booster

A little traction action that just arrived. [IMG][/IMG]

Hybrid booster

Switched back to working on the vct system since some more parts came in for it. Being as I had pulled the condenser and radiator out for the rear condenser conversion I had all kinds of room to work on the vct system.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] --------------- First I tried to work the solenoid off of engine oil pressure. That worked fine except the small cylinder leaked oil. I'm guessing it was because the shaft was vibrating some. I put a valve and tee onto the oil pressure sending unit tree. [IMG][/IMG] ----------- I then drilled and tapped a fitting into the oil return passage for the head to bleed oil back into the engine when the solenoid closed. [IMG] [/IMG] ----------- As I said, I got it all hooked up and running but having a small oil leak was not going to cut it. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]------- I also redesigned the actuator bracket. I made it stronger and lowered the profile of it so it could not hit the hood as it was close before. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That new bracket looks really good.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Thanks! It is much stronger now. I made it from a Dodge truck bumper brace. It says "Made in Canada" right on it so its gotta be tuff lol. I have revamped the system to use air since the cylinder seeps oil. I built a small compressor and tank system to operate it with. So many things have come up this spring that were more important than getting the hot rod back on the road but I am gaining, its just been slow going.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

this is one of the most awesome projects ever!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

I see you decided to run the solenoid off of air instead of oil pressure. I was going to say, be careful hanging that much stuff off of the oil distribution block on the front of the engine. It has been said in in the past that they can break off due to vibration, especially with extra weight hanging off of them.

Hybrid booster

Back when I owned this car the first time I had the oil adapter break off at the block. The 84 and 85 models had an 1/8 pipe fitting going into the block. Chrysler fixed that in 86 by stepping up to a 1/4 inch pipe fitting I think. I still didn't trust it though to hold the extra weight and vibration of the solenoid so I added a brace over to the steel water line. You can see it in the picture below. But its not a problem anymore since I've changed back over to air actuation. I will post more pics as soon as I get it all hooked up. I did it on the cheap (like most things I do) with parts I had laying around and a 13 dollar compressor from ebay. So far this time it looks like it will work. [IMG][/IMG]

Hybrid booster

Finally back to working on the Omni. Had to make an adapter to connect the copper lines from the rear condenser to the hoses on the a/c compressor. I used an old H-valve and cut it in half. I drilled out the holes and threaded them to 3/8 pipe fittings then I filed the fittings flat to the face. I used a hole saw and a spacer to cut some grooves to hold O-rings. I then silver soldered that adapter to the copper lines and bolted it back in the original area where the factory condenser was.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Hybrid booster

I'm still jumping back and forth between the two big projects. The last
    few days I've been working on the vct system. Since I had problems with oil leaking on the actuator I have switched over
    to pneumatic controls. I decided to go cheap (as I always do) and use what I had or could get at a low price. I used my
    old 5lb nitrous bottle for the air tank. I bought an 85 to 105 psi switch and a 13 dollar compressor to supply the air. I
    used an old transmission band for the mount. Next I will run the hose to the front of the car and hook it to the solenoid.
    I also have a wiring harness that needs run from the front to the rear to power the pump.

Hybrid booster

Ran the wiring harness under the left side of the car to the rear and the extra nitrous line that I
    will be using to get air from the compressor to the solenoid that actuates the vct system. I added
    about 5 extra wires in the harness from the engine compartment to the spare tire well. This way I
    will have them in the future if needed. I took some pics of the underside of the car so you can get
    an idea of all the extra stuff that's ran under there. The two copper lines are for the rear mounted
    condenser of course. To the right of the copper lines is the nitrous line that's wrapped in
    convoluted tubing from last year along with the wiring for the bottle shut off valve. If I had been
    thinking ahead I would have added some extra wires for future projects, but I didn't, so I took care
    of it this time when I ran the harness down the left side of the car. One of the 12 gauge wires in
    the new harness will power the 4 fans on the rear. Another 12 gauge wire will power three 12 volt
    power outlets in the hatch for the air compressor, bottle heater etc. I added a pressure switch near
    the condensers and a relay above them. This will control the ground side of the fans. Originally the
    radiator fan ran all the time the a/c was on. Now it will also turn off when the high side goes below
    240 psi. Should save some wear and tear on the fans and cut my battery draw when I'm moving at a good
    speed. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel and hope to be driving it again soon.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

So you're bringing this to SDAC then, correct?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

LOL! Its 700 miles one way. The car might make it but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I am however much closer to getting back on the road for the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast