Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Hybrid booster

Re: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Starting to get some stuff gathered up for to move the a/c condenser to the rear of the car. I bought two new Chrysler minivan auxiliary a/c condensers. These come on 96 to 98 vans that had rear air. They sit right in front of the full sized condensers to add extra cooling for these two unit vans. They are parallel flow units and measure 5x30 inches. Two together have 300 square inches of cooling area. The original Omni condenser had about 260 sq. in. Also parallel flow units are supposed to be 25 to 33 percent more efficient at the same size. I believe I can bolt both units together and get them tucked up under the back of the car. I also got some of the hoses and fittings from a salvaged minivan to hook up to the new condensers. Probably going to run some copper line from the front to the rear to keep costs down. The condensers are only 19.95 with free shipping on ebay so you can't hardly beat that even with used units. I also have some wild plans for a speed activated scoop that can drop down for increased airflow when needed.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by rgl10; 02-27-2014 at 10:34 PM.

turbo addict

STOP IT!!! You are giving me WAY too many ideas!! Next thing I know I'll be building some crazy Gatebil car with the engine all canted off in some strange direction to make room for a preposterously large turbo, a crazy rear mounted Hewland 6-speed sequential box, the radiator and A/C stuff in the back with a huge scoops where the quarter windows were to feed them, a full aero package that looks like Kight Rider's Pursuit Mode had sex with a porcupine Transformer, and body kit wide enough that the car actually takes up 2 full parking spaces! LMAO!!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

After you responded to my first inquiry, I talked to my AC shop about a parallel flow condenser for my van. They have a universal 16"X18" condenser that I can use but it's only about a 1/2" thick and when I told them about my potential three heat loads (front & rear evaporators & a plate heat exchanger) they suggested stacking them up like you plan on doing. They say they do that on limos and on some Porsches. On the Porsches they put them underneath. You might look into that to see how they do it for some ideas.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    STOP IT!!! You are giving me WAY too many ideas!! Next thing I know I'll be building some crazy Gatebil car with the engine all canted off in some strange direction to make room for a preposterously large turbo, a crazy rear mounted Hewland 6-speed sequential box, the radiator and A/C stuff in the back with a huge scoops where the quarter windows were to feed them, a full aero package that looks like Kight Rider's Pursuit Mode had sex with a porcupine Transformer, and body kit wide enough that the car actually takes up 2 full parking spaces! LMAO!!!
    That's some funny stuff right there!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    After you responded to my first inquiry, I talked to my AC shop about a parallel flow condenser for my van. They have a universal 16"X18" condenser that I can use but it's only about a 1/2" thick and when I told them about my potential three heat loads (front & rear evaporators & a plate heat exchanger) they suggested stacking them up like you plan on doing. They say they do that on limos and on some Porsches. On the Porsches they put them underneath. You might look into that to see how they do it for some ideas.
    I will check into that. I have not been able to find any examples of people relocating condensers to the rear of the vehicle but I didn't search for Porsches or limos. Thanks for the info!

Hybrid booster

I decided to put some new springs and shocks on the back of the Omni this spring. I use Charger shocks since they are shorter. This will lower the back of the car about and inch and a quarter from stock 4 door L body shocks. I already had these on my car so it won't change anything for me but hopefully have a better ride. I measured the spring mount location to the bottom mount so if someone wants to compare theirs they can. Here are all the parts I gathered up to install. Some of these parts are no longer available or are at least hard to find. The lower spring mount is one of these. I just ordered washers that had a 40mm hole in the center and 72mm diameter, works perfectly. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Some of these parts are no longer available or are at least hard to find.
    Like... the spring? What is it?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on the back of my Omni GLH that I bought long ago on eBay. Unfortunately they are no longer made. Car sits just right with them though. I don't know if these KYB shocks were 2-door or 4-door, so I'd like to know what your measurement was for the bottom spring seat.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Like... the spring? What is it?
    The spring is a variable rate Moog CC707. They are on sale now at RockAuto for 24.99 a set and they only have 4 sets left.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on the back of my Omni GLH that I bought long ago on eBay. Unfortunately they are no longer made. Car sits just right with them though. I don't know if these KYB shocks were 2-door or 4-door, so I'd like to know what your measurement was for the bottom spring seat.
    The two door shock is pictured at the bottom. It is about 5.75 inches from the spring seat mount to the center of the bottom shock bolt hole. If I remember correctly the original 4 door shocks were closer to 6.5 inches. I think the Charger shocks lower the Omni about 1.25 inches at the rear fender well.

Hybrid booster

The last few days I've started working on the mount panel for the a/c condenser relocation. Its going to take a fairly big hole in the rear valance panel for it to fit but it will be under the bumper so I can always replace the sheet metal if the project doesn't work out like I hope. I've got to get some bushings that will fit but I used a piece of hose cut into small sections to space the two units apart for now. The cooling fans will be added when the finally get here and I still think I will put a scoop on it that will drop down when the vehicle is at speed to give the fans a rest. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by rgl10; 03-11-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Hybrid booster

Finally got the four fans in that will cool the condensers. With a total of 6200 cfm I thought it would be good to know how much thrust the fans put out (you know every little bit helps) but the mathematical equations were too tough for me lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]

turbo addict

Did you want to find out thrust or velocity? Thrust is a force. Velocity is a speed. Thrust can be dependent on speed.

Hybrid booster

I was just kidding about the fans pushing my car with the thrust they put out. I told the guys at work it would help my traction problem since fan thrust did not rely on traction from the wheels. LOL!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

What diameter are those fans?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

7 inch with 1550 cfm each. Hopefully won't have any high side pressure problems this year plus the engine compartment should be cooler too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    I was just kidding about the fans pushing my car with the thrust they put out. I told the guys at work it would help my traction problem since fan thrust did not rely on traction from the wheels. LOL!
    LOL I thought you were trying to figure out the fans' output vs what the vehicle speed would have to be to replicate it if the condensers were mounted up front.

Hybrid booster

That would be even more complicated LOL! I'm certain it will have enough flow especially if I add a scoop underneath.

turbo addict

I'm not sure I'd suggest putting a "scoop" under the rear of the car. It will increase drag and could possibly increase lift in the rear...which is not good for high speed stability. Maybe a large duct. It would be super cool to have a flapper door that would be actuated by a motor that would only open when the A/C is on. Under WOT the A/C is turned off and that would close the door. I don't know how this idea would be controlled easily, but at highway speed the door could be partially open just enough to reduce the strain on the fans to pull air (they shouldn't have too much issue moving air at higher speeds due to the low pressure area behind the car).

Anyway...enough brainstorming using crazy engineering thinking...common sense has to take over again at some point! LOL

Hybrid booster

Almost to the point of no return..............

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast