Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Hybrid booster

Re: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Welded up all the connections on the down pipe and thought I would check it for leaks with our smoke machine at the shop. Seems I might need to go over it again lol.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Lol! Eh, who cares. Get it 'close enough' and run it. Post turbo leaks don't have the pulsation that makes exhaust leaks so noticeable on 'normal' cars. It will probably just be a slight hiss or just make the normal exhaust sound a bit louder.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Can you interchange rack parts from other Saginaw units to get a different steering ratio?

Hybrid booster

As long as its for an L body it will work as far as I know. Mine is the 14 to 1 fast ratio. The other one is the standard 18 to 1.

turbo addict

I was thinking more along the lines that this is a Saginaw unit, which I would think are mostly the same inside. So, if you know that a certain car from a different manufacturer has a certain steering ratio you like, or parts....can you use them in our racks...like making a Frankenstein?

Also, is the amount of assist determined in the rack or in the pump?

Hybrid booster

Every other Saginaw rack for various manufactures I've seen are different enough that you cannot interchange parts but I've really not seen that many apart so it might be possible. It would need to have the same length rack and the pinion valve would need to fit the housing and seal on all four lands, be the same angle, etc. The odds of that are slim for other car lines. The rack determines the amount of assist by the pinion valve design. Pumps are pretty much just that, a 2000 plus psi fluid pump.

Hybrid booster

Finally got the downpipe finished. I'm hoping I can get the Omni back on the road before the end of June just a little behind schedule as always.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Kind of a variation on this same theme for the Rampage RT eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage downpipe 3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	461.6 KB 
ID:	54967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage downpipe 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	346.3 KB 
ID:	54968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5033.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	379.1 KB 
ID:	54969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5032.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	412.7 KB 
ID:	54970  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Yes it is, I hope it wasn't patented lol. I get a lot of good ideas on here like yours and I'm not bashful about using them.

Hybrid booster

I checked every place I could to buy a set of new dampers for my rebuilt rack. I could not find any. In my research I found that many Saginaw racks use the same bumpers as did Dodge. GM used them in saturns, grand ams and cavaliers just to name a few. We were junking a cavalier at the shop so I pulled the boots off it and found a perfect set to use.

Hybrid booster

Went ahead and installed the bumpers and inner tierod ends. Its important to note that you can damage the rack by pounding the locks down on the inner rod ends if you don't support the rack from the other side. I used a small adapter to hold the underside of the inner tierod end while I staked the joint. I also used some red Loctite just in case.

Hybrid booster

Ok the filler episodes about rack rebuilding have come to an end. Now back to the most important thing in any project build - making horsepower!

Having an intake manifold directly above a red hot turbo exhaust housing is not the best idea but its what we have to live with running these original turbo fours.

I decided to make a heat shield to at least deflect some of the heat from the turbo away from the intake.

The T4 compressor takes up a lot more room than the original turbo did. Since the new exhaust manifold moves the turbo to the left the original drain back tube will not work so the manifold comes with a pre-bent s pipe, hose and a flange. You can cut the pipe to fit your installation and weld the flange on when you are done.

I read somewhere that the brace was not absolutely necessary as the manifold was much stronger than the factory one but it could be used if you wanted to by moving it to the left hole in the transmission bell housing support bracket. That's what I did but it took a little grinding to clear the drain back tube and a spacer on the bottom to make if fit correctly.

To get an idea of where the turbo ends up you can see the inlet now sits just to the left of where the throttle cable comes through the firewall.

The homemade down pipe bolted up fairly good. You can also see that there is about three quarters of an inch between the compressor housing and the firewall.

With this manifold there is plenty of clearance for a large radius down pipe. Mine could have been even bigger.

Nice! Cant wait to hear impressions.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Having an intake manifold directly above a red hot turbo exhaust housing is not the best idea but its what we have to live with running these original turbo fours

You know, there are some original turbo fours with manifolds on *opposite* sides of the head You're just making power the hard way

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Turbocharger fitment from the top. Much better alignment to the water to air intercooler that I run.

Hybrid booster

Finishing putting on the exhaust system. Added a 12 inch collector and used a throttle body from a gm v8 fly by wire for the cutout. A band saw removed all the electronics and brackets from the tb and then I drove it up into the 4 inch collector. Pictures tell the rest of the story.

]

Neat. Is it going to be cable-actuated?

Hybrid booster

Yes, I have it hooked up to the same cable I used with the old unit. The little lever beside the shifter works it.

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    Yes, I have it hooked up to the same cable I used with the old unit. The little lever beside the shifter works it.

haha awesome!! You need to get that piece remade in a nice metal finish or something. Looks like it was meant to be there!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

How well do those throttle bodies actually seal up? I'd think they would leak like crazy.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.