Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Big enough? ...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Barbie called. She said she wants her Coke back. Lol

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I've seen those mini coke cans before...

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I just assumed he bought a 4" flex to go with the new discharge housing he is going to build.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I'm pretty sure that is the case...we are just giving him crap...my reasoning is because I'm slightly jelly! LOL

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

It didn't look that big in the picture when I ordered it lol. I thought I would need 3.5 inches for the 3 inch elbow from the turbine and the 1.5 from the wastegate. It seemed that 4.5 inches of piping going into a 3 inch flex would be a restriction but after seeing this 3.5 inch flex I would say a 3 would be fine.

Still going to use it, though? You can always cone back down to 3" under the middle of the car. As the gases cool they will become more dense anyway. I think WRC cars are full of exhausts that start big and then get smaller.

Why put the wastegate flow back in at all? Noise concerns? Wastegate dump is only loud when the wastegate is open, and if you run a high boost level like 18+ then the only time the wastegate will be open is when you're really trying to haul ---. I generally dont mind making noise as long as i'm actually accelerating hard enough to merit it. Now if you had a 5psi boost level until WOT then yeah you might be listening to the wastegate flow pretty dang often.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

While leaving the wastegate dump open is an option, if you go that route you're going to want to at least relocate the opening BEHIND the driver. I had mine dump out right behind the firewall/above the k-member and it was very annoying. Not that it opened up too often because I have my low boost setting to 15 psi but I had to relocate it to just in front of the rear tire. Now it's tolerable. The muffler I put on the wastgate dump pipe does nothing to quite it down so at some point I'll probably take it off.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ust&highlight=

I will have to give it some thought. I like the car being quiet for normal driving but as you say it will only get loud when I'm really getting on it. I'm going to go ahead and weld up the elbows to the swingvalve flange first and see how it sets with the new manifold in the car. I think I should have plenty of room regardless of which way I go.

A picture of the race between me and the Camaro. He wanted the left lane after the first run since most cars were launching straighter on it than the right side. Didn't make any difference for me of course but it did cause his car to be in focus for the pic lol.

[IMG][/IMG]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Its really not that loud, its more that people either like or do not like the sound. There is no annoying "resonance" or other annoying things that bother you about normal loud exhaust problems. I have run with 5-6 psi settings and that was tolerable for me but once I put in a fake wastegate spring (meant for semi truck brakes) that gave almost zero psi boost, and that was annoying. Mostly because the sound was weak and I was not trying to go fast so it just made the car sound "broken"

When a screamer pipe opens up....you are racing :P
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Back on the swing valve housing. I bolted the flange I cut off a 2 1/4 sw housing to the .63 turbine housing. I scribed the flapper contact area to see how much I could port the wastegate hole. I also noticed I need to grind a little off the insides of the flange as it hangs over the turbine outlet in two places.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    Back on the swing valve housing. I bolted the flange I cut off a 2 1/4 sw housing to the .63 turbine housing. I scribed the flapper contact area to see how much I could port the wastegate hole. I also noticed I need to grind a little off the insides of the flange as it hangs over the turbine outlet in two places.

Be very careful, port slowly, and check (assembled) often. I ported my .63 housing (when I had it on my van) and I took off more than I should have and my puck would hang up occasionally. I then had to angle my port so it wouldn't happen. Before you start, with it assembled, work it to see where it contacts first and don't port there.

I just trimmed it some in the fat area. I left about an eighth inch all the way around so seat on. Thanks for the warning! I probably would have gotten carried away. Back on the swing valve I started off with a 2.75 id stainless pipe. I cut it to fit down inside the wg flange right through the middle to divide the wastegate from the turbine. The sides were cut to sit on top the the flange and at the bottom it also sits down to the turbine housing to seal off that bolt that is normally inside the swing valve housing. Since my design will be welded there will be no way to put that bolt in after the divorced wastegate is done. Here are my first pictures of the pipe welded into place. As you can see on both sides the swing valve flange is in to far even after I grinded on it some. My next plan will be to weld up the outside to thicken it in these areas and then grind some more out. Also the hole looks square, not the best for swirling gasses I know. So I will also weld up the corners and grind them back rounder overall. I will restraighten the pipe at the top to weld on the 3 inch elbow. Also I noticed how the waste gate puck opens the hole dead against the side of the flange. When I weld my little pipe to this section I'm going to grind out some of that part of the flange to let the exhaust out a little smoother.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I finally got the turbine outlet adapter part roughed in. It tapers from the 2.25 turbine outlet to a size that will fit into my 3 inch downpipe. Now I will start on the wastegate dump side.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks awesome!

I wish it were 'easy' to make a 90 degree turn that increased in diameter from 2.25" to 3" throughout the turn. I think the only 'easyish' way to do it mass production style would be to stamp two halves and weld them together.

I did just see a really neat thing the other day where a guy cut two sheets of metal, welded them together all around the outsides, put a port on it and blew it up with a pressure washer to make a pulse jet housing. I had never seen or even thought of that before, it was pretty damn cool!

turbo addict

I wish it were 'easy' to make a 90 degree turn that increased in diameter from 2.25" to 3" throughout the turn. I think the only 'easyish' way to do it mass production style would be to stamp two halves and weld them together.
    im thinking an expansion chamber off of a 2 stroke motorcycle of some kind, thats exactly how they are done and the pipes can be had for cheap or free...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Looks awesome!

I did just see a really neat thing the other day where a guy cut two sheets of metal, welded them together all around the outsides, put a port on it and blew it up with a pressure washer to make a pulse jet housing. I had never seen or even thought of that before, it was pretty damn cool!
    Sounds like poor-man's hydroforming.

The variable cam timing system on my car has worked well enough that I consider it a success. This winter as I upgrade the exhaust manifold and turbo I will do some cosmetic work on the vct. I suffered a few minor setbacks mostly from experimenting but that's half the fun. Originally I thought I would use air to power the actuator then I moved to oil control but with the parts I had it just was not going to work so back to air I went. I'm glad I did as there is no mess to deal with, its much faster and is a hundred times less likely to damage the engine if something fails. Its built from a bunch of common items or stuff you can get off ebay. With what I know now I could build it in one long day. I'm getting ready to park the car for the winter but I wanted a video of it in action before I did that so here it is. Too much wind noise I know but the cameras are cheap so if you listen closely you might even be able to hear the difference in the engine when the cam retards at higher rpms.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Very cool You ever get any dyno pulls wit this set up? It would surely be interesting to see the curve where the timing changes

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast