Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 85 GLH Turbo experimental testbed build

That's a heck of a MPH for the 1/8th IMO.

turbo addict

Agreed. Told you that LS strokers don't do well N/A. He would have been better off leaving it be and throwing other power adders at it. Good job man. Good to hear that seems like all of your budgeted hard work paid off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That gearing isnt making you any faster, but that sort of makes it all the more impressive! 94-98 in the 1/8th is a pretty damn good neighborhood to be somewhere in.

What was the boost level and nitrous shot again?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I set the boost down to 14 but it was creeping to 18 with the 75hp shot of nitrous.

turbo addict

Congrats! How surprised was he?

What made you turn the boost back that far? I guess you were confident, because you say you've seen 26 through all 3 gears and now you're running only a slightly larger shot but 8psi less boost. As it was he would have passed you as you admit. Still, good job!

Are you planning to put this thing on slicks and try the dragstrip anytime soon?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Congrats! How surprised was he?
    I’ve been telling him for the past year that if he saw the Omni’s tail lights in an eighth mile drag race I was going to be hard to beat. He found out I was telling him the truth. He is an easy going guy so he took it well. He’s planning on making the Camaro faster this winter so we will race again next spring. In the quarter I would not stand a chance so he still has the faster car. Guess I will have to get busy and do some upgrades myself this winter.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    What made you turn the boost back that far? I guess you were confident, because you say you've seen 26 through all 3 gears and now you're running only a slightly larger shot but 8psi less boost. As it was he would have passed you as you admit. Still, good job!

Are you planning to put this thing on slicks and try the dragstrip anytime soon?
    I was 150 miles from home and my brother could not make it so I was on my own. Also the power of the motor does not go up as much as one would expect after 20 psi of boost but the back pressure sure does. I'm blaming it on the exhaust manifold and turbine housing and swing valve. Anyhow after I won the first race I was happy enough and just wanted to get back home in one piece. The nearest dragstrip is about the same distance away but we are planning on going in the spring so we can get some actual numbers. Also I wil try to get to the dyno which is 140 miles away like everything else lol and see what it puts down after the drive train is completed. The engine now has over 9000 miles on it and the vct system over 3000 with no major breakage. According to most charts 95 mph in the eighth for my car figures out to be about 360 flywheel hp so I'm guessing I'm 300 plus at the wheels with the nitrous on. Considering its a stock 120,000 mile motor with new rings and rod bearings I'd say I'm pretty fortunate so far.

Im extremely confident you can run the setup harder without breaking it just because of the knowledge/skills you've already demonstrated in building the thing. But, i understand not wanting to pay a 140mile tow bill!

I am not surprised about the diminishing returns at higher boost numbers on the stock turbo. I still feel it is more compressor related than turbine related although i expect the modified discharge housing you are going to build will show gains. Keep in mind the backpressure on the turbine side is reflective of how much energy the turbine has to convert into shaft speed+torque to make the compressor hit your boost pressure target. A more efficient compressor will lessen those demands.

I know you love data (and that is awesome!) so here's another idea. If you want to divorce the restriction of the exhaust manifold/turbine housing from the effects of the wastegate (and thus your boost target and your compressor side) on backpressure, why not take some before and after readings with the wastegate puck hanging wide open? The one problem i see there is that the pressure in the manifold will be so much lower that you might need a gauge with a lower pressure range just to have good resolution.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    I’ve been telling him for the past year that if he saw the Omni’s tail lights in an eighth mile drag race I was going to be hard to beat. He found out I was telling him the truth. He is an easy going guy so he took it well. He’s planning on making the Camaro faster this winter so we will race again next spring. In the quarter I would not stand a chance so he still has the faster car. Guess I will have to get busy and do some upgrades myself this winter.
    This doesn't make sense to me. In all the years I've raced these cars, No car that I beat to the 1/8th mile Ever caught me down the back stretch. Is there something different about the way you have it set up? Why do you think it will die up top?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

The Camaro was already pulling on him hard and drawing even by the time they reached the 1/8th. I think it's safe to say that the Camaro is a faster car that has some kind of problem getting off the line or through first gear. Could just be the driver!

turbo addict

its not that his car will die, its that the camaro was pulling hard. i think 18 psi the whole track would b better, unless he was spraying the entire time netting 18 psi anyway?

both cars really need better tires... but worked out better for the omni...

sounds like the omni does leave pretty soft with the low stall on the tc, and could use a little more boost down low, maybe a 2 step boost builder?

at what point did you spray the nitrous????

Hybrid booster

My car definitely does not have the top end his does. The 2.60 final drive does not help especially when you get close to 100 mph. I feel sure the exhaust side of the system is some of the problem too. Also my whole engine is pretty much stock except for some mild porting to the intake and cylinder head. Back cut valves or oversized ones, better porting, aftermarket intake manifold, bigger turbo, bigger cam, or any combination of these parts would surely make a difference to the top end of my power band. Also a day of dyno tuning would surely add a decent amount of power. I built this thing mostly to prove to the guys I work with a near stock Mopar 4 cylinder with addons (mostly homemade ones) could run with the more modern stuff and I built the whole car to this point for less than he has in his shortblock lol. Of course I'm not done, probably never truly will be as you guys keep giving me ideas......

Here is a video of the second race which he won. Its easy to see the difference once he gets hooked up.

Mitsu booster

I can't remember, is your car a 2.2?

Hybrid booster

1993 2.5 from a flex fuel Spirit. I only changed the rods and pistons from an 89 2.5 turbo and used an efi roller cam.

Of course I'm not done, probably never truly will be as you guys keep giving me ideas......
    Hey, at least they are good ones!

As far as the 2.6:1 gearing, what made you do that? Do you run a lockup torque converter? I dont think the 2.6 gearing is a great idea for anyone UNLESS they are actually using a lockup converter and going for highway mpg. It definitely doesnt make cars faster! Having said that i would definitely do it to one of my cars.

Hybrid booster

I just changed them for the trip. Running 70+ kept the engine over 3300 rpm all the time with the stock gears. With the 2.6's it was 2600 at 70. My convertor is a medium-low stall unit. Not the best for drag racing but its great for a daily driver. I'm sure I could make the car a lot faster with lower gears and a higher stall convertor but for now its still my way to work every day except in the winter.

Tighter than stock converter makes sense. I think a stock converter and 2.6 gears would just have you making a bunch of heat at cruise rpm and not getting much better gas mileage in the process. Is it a stock converter for a tbi or v6 or did you have one modified?

Props to you for having this as your main driver.

Hybrid booster

I had one built. It started as a low stall 3.0 convertor. They bent the fins and tacked welded them to the housing then they replaced the main thrust washer with a Torrington needle bearing. It stalls about 3000 max under 14 psi boost. Normally though I have the two step set at 2600 which is 4 psi boost. Under no boost the convertor will only stall about 2200 rpm which is good for gas mileage and keeps the trans fluid cooler.

Hybrid booster

I got a flex joint for my divorced wastegate. Maybe I went a little overboard.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast