Thread: E85 tune made from 91 octane tune, how to.

turbo addict

E85 tune made from 91 octane tune, how to.

The below are the 6 tables I changed to make my 91 octane tune into a rough E85 tune. I bet I can still add more timing to add more power!

Dark Blue = gas tune
    Light blue = Current e85 tune
    Ignore the green tune

First three is fuel tables, last three is timing tables.

RPM efficiency table

Part throttle fuel

WOT fuel

Timing advance thru the RPM

Timing advance vs MAP, part throttle

Timing advance vs MAP, WOT
    Last edited by tryingbe; 12-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.

turbo addict

Re: E85 tune made from 91 octane tune, how to.

Cool. How did you scale the injector size? Did you just reduce the actual size by 30-40%?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

actually, i wouldnt adjust the fuel tables for gas to e85 conversion. especially not the pumping efficiency table. that table is to adjust for airflow across the RPM curve.

id scale the cal for 30% more fuel. (or actually whatever the vehicle needs based on the concentration of ethanol in the fuel).

thats the correct way to do it. it adjusts all the tables for all operating conditions... not just running fuel.

you may have to make small changes to the fuel stuff after rescaling, but rescaling is the best place to start.

the timing changes are good though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    actually, i wouldnt adjust the fuel tables for gas to e85 conversion. especially not the pumping efficiency table. that table is to adjust for airflow across the RPM curve.

id scale the cal for 30% more fuel. (or actually whatever the vehicle needs based on the concentration of ethanol in the fuel).

thats the correct way to do it. it adjusts all the tables for all operating conditions... not just running fuel.

you may have to make small changes to the fuel stuff after rescaling, but rescaling is the best place to start.

the timing changes are good though.

Brian
    I've used e85 with MS and I used the injector size to scale the fuel deliveryod 40% less that the flow rate for gasoling was what I used. I am not familiar with tuning the stock ECU. Is adjusting the injector size the way to scale the stock ECU or is there another way that would be preferred?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I've used e85 with MS and I used the injector size to scale the fuel deliveryod 40% less that the flow rate for gasoling was what I used. I am not familiar with tuning the stock ECU. Is adjusting the injector size the way to scale the stock ECU or is there another way that would be preferred?
    you adjusted the injector size 40% lower to increase the pulsewidth 40% more. the MS software then scales the appropriate fuel tables to match the injector size.

you would do the same thing for our ECU's.

the MPTune software has an injector size scaling function that scales the appropriate fuel tables.

you select it, you change the injector size to be one that is 30-40% smaller and the software scales all the tables that need to be scaled.

make sense?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    you adjusted the injector size 40% lower to increase the pulsewidth 40% more. the MS software then scales the appropriate fuel tables to match the injector size.

you would do the same thing for our ECU's.

the MPTune software has an injector size scaling function that scales the appropriate fuel tables.

you select it, you change the injector size to be one that is 30-40% smaller and the software scales all the tables that need to be scaled.

make sense?

Brian
    So say I'm running 96 pph injectors, I would scale the cal for 68 pph injectors (-30%) to 58 pph injectors (-40%) for E85 instead of 96 pph injectors like I did for gasoline?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

If you're using MPTune, you can just just setup the AFR lines for E85, then set the AFR for ~9.7 P/T vacuum and ~7.0 everywhere else.

Then I scale all the injector tables up by 40% (like Brian mentioned); then I go back and match the 3 main fuel tables to the AFR lines; and finally add a little fuel to the cold temperature portion of the cold start table (StartFuelFromTemp) and the A, B, C tables in cold temps. Ethanol doesn't like to evaporate so well especially in the cold.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    If you're using MPTune, you can just just setup the AFR lines for E85, then set the AFR for ~9.7 P/T vacuum and ~7.0 everywhere else.

Then I scale all the injector tables up by 40% (like Brian mentioned); then I go back and match the 3 main fuel tables to the AFR lines; and finally add a little fuel to the cold temperature portion of the cold start table (StartFuelFromTemp) and the A, B, C tables in cold temps. Ethanol doesn't like to evaporate so well especially in the cold.
    So you are able to use a wideband input and scale it for e85 on the display?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    So you are able to use a wideband input and scale it for e85 on the display?
    The AFR lines don't use a WB input. They simply show the calculated fuel lines for the given fuel, AR, air temp, etc. It's just used as a guide to 'draw' the 3 main fuel tables.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I just scaled it for stock 33# injectors, when using +40's. Worked good.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD