Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: exposing masi knowledge

turbo addict

Re: exposing masi knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    it's different then the 8v. Believe Todd states it's a .093" hole I have one and I have to make one for my motors.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelzip View Post
    edit: found it down in the hole. I will make sure its open as I don't believe it was ever taken out at the machine shop. Seams scary that tiny pin hole provides the oil to keep the cams from wiping out. Gotta make damn sure a piece of debris doesn't plug it.
    Yeah I read somewhere (FSM? or parts manual) .091 to .093 for Masi. That was what mine was that I pulled from my motor. Pat Melendy's has been measured at .084. Definitely smaller than 8V.
    Todd

turbo addict

The head studs I have for mine are 5.040" in length and are 7/16" on one end and must be 11mm on the other. I don't have a PN for the entire kit because it's not in the box, but it is in its original sealed bag. Sounds like what you guys are looking at.

Hybrid booster

My factory restrictor is .073....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

My yellow Masi TC had lazy oil pressure after full warm up, I did the 'top end' 5-6 years ago but didn't want to do rod bearings or bottom end work so I pulled the factory restrictor(didn't think to measure it) and put in a homemade brass plug drilled to .065. Pressure is better now and no issues with starving the top end. I have RDI's double springs and OS Rev Valves. been 6-8K miles now and no cam flaking or flattening or whatever. The 70PPH cal has a 7500 RPM limit and it has seen it many many times.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Well that makes me feel better as my combo in head parts is similar. I was thinking I'd have to pull it out and enlarge it as the springs probably create a lot of additional pressure and friction on the top end.

turbo addict

So...I already knew about the different restrictor, so what is the consensus? Leave it stock, make it bigger, make a custom one...?

Hybrid booster

Survey says .065-.093 works. I think I'll be happy leaving mine in the middle at .073 where it came from the factory.

Hybrid booster

GLHNSLHT2, I pulled another restrictor from my factory horizon block and tig welded it shut with silicon bronze. I will open it up to your specs and send it to you for no charge if you wish. Hows that for deal! Just PM me.

Hybrid booster

I have another question, my turbo is not water cooled so I pluged the water feed banjo on the head. Would this effect the way the coolant travels through the head? Maybe bleeding the coolant out that end is similar to the modification they make on 8 valve motors. I'm wondering if I should just connect that line to the back of the block instead? On another note, I have the 202-4702 studs in hand and they look perfect for our motors. They are the better undercut studs from ARP. I should get my head gasket here soon to install them so I will update on how the nuts and washers fit as I don't have my head in hand at the moment.

turbo addict

While water cooling does have a certain degree of effectivity for cooling turbos while the engine is running, the largest benefit is gained when the engine is turned off after being run. The water cooling works off of convection pulling cooler water from the block through the turbo then returning it back to the head.

Without doing some data recording, it's hard to say whether the turbo coolant return being blocked off on the head will be detrimental, but my gut feeling is "no".

BTW, how's the valve cover gasket project coming along?

Hybrid booster

I asked to have a .020 bead put on the perimeter with a laser on the mold but it was too difficult and would require starting over with the mold. They were to add .030 to the perimeter for compression and forgot the cam cap humps for some reason so they are fixing that. I looked at 5 samples a few weeks ago and should get the corrected one soon. Once I agree to this coming version I will have the lot made up. Its taking a lot longer than I was quoted....

turbo addict

Yeah, development and testing usually takes longer than expected, even when snags are accounted for. I'm not trying to rush anything, just was wondering how it was coming along.

Are you going to test one on a running engine to make sure that it performs as it should on an operating engine that goes through thermal cycles and vibration?

Hybrid booster

I can't make any more changes without starting over on the mold which is a ton of money. I'm already at the point of worrying I won't get my money back. So I think they are just going to be how they are which I'm happy with. I will test the next sample with measuring devices and may send one out to someone thats willing to bolt it on but I won't have a running motor for another 3 months or so myself. There is .030 compression height which is 15% compression, that is what they suggested even though I started with the original idea of .040. The cover will bolt down metal to metal and the rubber will expand width wise about 15% to the full trough. The new rubber is way more advanced than what they were using 25 years ago so it should provide better compression retention and degrading life. It would be great to make some test them make changes, over and over, but this is already more of a favor when the price is under 10 grand. I'm sure they will be more than adequate. I am a plumber by trade ya know, I tell liquid what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by joelzip View Post
    I can't make any more changes without starting over on the mold which is a ton of money. I'm already at the point of worrying I won't get my money back. So I think they are just going to be how they are which I'm happy with. I will test the next sample with measuring devices and may send one out to someone thats willing to bolt it on but I won't have a running motor for another 3 months or so myself. There is .030 compression height which is 15% compression, that is what they suggested even though I started with the original idea of .040. The cover will bolt down metal to metal and the rubber will expand width wise about 15% to the full trough. The new rubber is way more advanced than what they were using 25 years ago so it should provide better compression retention and degrading life. It would be great to make some test them make changes, over and over, but this is already more of a favor when the price is under 10 grand. I'm sure they will be more than adequate. I am a plumber by trade ya know, I tell liquid what to do!
    I have a running (leaking from the VC) Masi TC I'd be willing to test on. I drove the yellow(leaking) Masi to Spring Fling with the GF driving the white one, when a drop of oil hits the Ex manifold, it's like a mini smokescreen for a few seconds underhood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140405_081810.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	49692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140405_074110.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	550.4 KB 
ID:	49693  
    Last edited by 2.216VTurbo; 04-18-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added pics

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Hybrid booster

I will let you know when I get my hands on the second sample and send it out.

Hybrid booster

Head stud washers are indeed too large in diameter to fit into the head, I used the factory washers.

Hybrid booster

Need advice!, what to torque cam cap nuts to? I will add this to the sticky when I get an answer. Thanks.

13inch lbs sounds familiar but better check it with the manual. Because of those wave washers it's lighter than you might have thought...

turbo addict

If I remember, I'll check my manual tonight as well if it isn't posted up already.

Hybrid booster

I'm still in need of the torque specs when someone has a chance to check.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast