Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: exposing masi knowledge

Hybrid booster

Re: exposing masi knowledge

Im working on the seals now, here is the site http://fme-cat.com/PartSpecification...Cat=OIL%20SEAL I need to separate my timing gear off the cam and measure the shaft diameter, housing diameter and seal thickness to get a cross reference. Here is another good thing for us though, I just got off the phone with magnecore and was told they sell a bunch of spark plug wires for our motor and he knew all about the 16v head its even listed on their site different from the lotus head. Here are the part numbers just search magnecore + part number of choice on google to see the pricing is about $125 for the largest 8.5mm red wire set and even less for the smaller ones. part numbers as follows 7mm black 47410, 8mm blue 40410, 8.5mm red 45410.

Hybrid booster

Alrighty, factory I think cam seals that were in it are Koyo brand part number hrsa 40 52 6xrt and my own measurements indicate that the shaft od is 40.10 mm, housing id is 51.97 mm and the thickness of the seal is 6mm so the part number makes sense now, you can see the press fit between the part number and actual sealing thicknesses.

Here she is, http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-det...l#.Ur3bWvt0nIY

National oil seal 710308, Correct clockwise spiral lip, 40mm shaft, 52mm housing, 6mm width and what do you know its a camshaft seal for Geo, Isuzu and lotus...

$3.49 free shipping on ebay now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    While I certainly appreciate the information that the 8V cam seals don't work, because this an information :SHARING: thread, could somebody please post the correct part, part number, or alternatives?

How much for a t-stat housing? How much for cam gears? I was going to eventually make both myself because I figured there were none left.
    Cam seal skf 15801. CR40x52x7 HMsa7 R crosses to Honda, Toyota, and others. Didn't think this was so difficult to figure out. Hardly top secret. Look at CR part # there is your dimensions.
    Had part #'s on wires like ten years ago (lol).
    As far as prices on timing gears and thermostat covers, PM me if interested. We can do this off-line. Larry Carlson @ TCparts.com probably has some too.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Just trying to get some info out that not everyone knows. People are continuing to purchase 4 spark plugs for $35, $143 for a timing belt, and $200 for wires or at least I was going to

turbo addict

Thanks for the info on the cam seals! I was mistaken on what would work, so I never did the research. Thank you both!

Yeah, the plug wires have been around for a while. I would like to have the HEI ends on mine so I can use my modified cap. For now I'll deal with the old MOPAR "tine" set-up. Eventually I want to go coil-near-plug using the GM LS2 truck coils. That's WAY in the future, though.

Hybrid booster

I just sent a check out for a $55 timing belt, I will post what I get and after I confirm its correct I will share where to get them. Craziest thing about it is that it was made in 2013 by goodyear.....

Another piece, don't know if this is common knowledge or not but the tensioner bearing can be replaced without changing the entire unit SKF Bearing number: 6205 2ZJEM
    Last edited by joelzip; 12-27-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Garrett booster

Wait... so how much does a Masi head flow compared to a SBC again?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by daver View Post
    Wait... so how much does a Masi head flow compared to a SBC again?
    That depends... Are you talkin air speed velocity of unladen African or European SBC?
    Idontknowthat

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joelzip View Post
    Just trying to get some info out that not everyone knows. People are continuing to purchase 4 spark plugs for $35, $143 for a timing belt, and $200 for wires or at least I was going to
    Like I said, it's so easy now with threads like this, even a caveman could do it I remember when there were only 6 timing belts left in the country at different dealerships, I thought I was gonna have to run those 6 till they came apart. I'm still shocked Goodyear decided to repop them. They *must* fit something else. Rumor has it an early 90's 1.8l Ford diesel application is one tooth shorter and would work with a different/modified tensioner. I mean *if* someone decided to run a NA/high CR milled block/head motor...

Good thread BTW Joel as long as the haters stay out of it

The adj cam gears were expensive but I do have an extra set NIB I would sell at cost plus shipping if you need them for your build.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

This thread just turned awesome!

Alan or others do you have a part # for the timing belt? Peeved as I bought 2 at $100 a piece.

Hybrid booster

I jumped into this turbo dodge thing just this summer and hit the ground running. I'm really not sure what I would do with the adjustable timing gears as I don't fully understand how the adjustments work or how to set them yet. That may be a future move after I get my feet a little more wet. With 6 months experience and a full on custom masi build in front of me I am really lost in the dust, that's why I wanted to open this thread. I know some of you have been working on these things for over 10 years but to me its new. I am only 29 years old but most of my experience is with carbureted turbo chevy motors. This is what I'm most knowledgeable on. I have a twin turbo malibu and single turbo 1936 auburn speedster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1125.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	463.1 KB 
ID:	48209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1262.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	493.0 KB 
ID:	48211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 004.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	48212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00649.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	48213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00650.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	48214  

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    This thread just turned awesome!
    Alan or others do you have a part # for the timing belt? Peeved as I bought 2 at $100 a piece.

I will post what I get as soon as it comes in the mail which may be a while cause I just sent a check out for it today, I don't have the part number in front of me and I don't want to get too hyped until I have it in my hands. What would be helpful is if someone could post the specs of a correct one, like the number of teeth and length as I don't have an assembled motor to try this belt on once I get it.

Joel, reading through this thread it seems you are a different person today than when we first spoke. When you and I first spoke you said you were planning to build a Masi motor with a HP goal of around 400hp and you were going to install it in a Shelby Lancer. You proudly proclaimed you "already had several other super fast cars"....if I recall one of them is over 1,000hp? So if that is indeed the case, you are not new to performance builds. You said your plans for this build would be for "a mild street car with some decent power, but nothing over the top". You asked what it would cost to rebuild your cylinder head and I sent you a quote with or without porting, with or without replacing the stock valvetrain components, etc.. You made no mention of wanting to have the head or manifolds flow tested. You are certainly welcome to flow test the intake and cylinder head at any place you see fit. I would imagine with the kind of experience you claim to have with performance builds, surely you would have flow tested the head in stock form so you could flow it again after the porting and polishing (on the same bench) so you could see the real world gains realized. With the Cosworth designed Maserati head you do NOT want to "hog it out" a bunch. I've ported scores of these heads (I think it's safe to say more than anyone I've ever heard of since I started modifying these engines in 1994). There are places where it's beneficial to remove more material and other areas where you want to be more conservative with the grinder. It's very easy to hit a coolant jacket on these heads...I know because I've done it. I ran 11.40 @ 128mph in December of 1999 at my local track with my Charger with Masi motor (5spd transmission, no Nitrous, time slip to prove it and Steve Calder was there that evening). By today's standards that seems slow. In 1999 that was moving. That head was not "hogged out" either. It was carefully ported where needed to increase flow at multiple lift points (not just peak lift). Remember, your head spends a helluva lot more time at all the lift points leading up to max lift than it does at max lift. Additionally, it doesn't matter what a head flows at .500" of lift if it never even *sees* that lift point. (read: stock camshaft profile). Since I can see you've been doing a bunch of research, you probably already know the max lift of a Masi head is no where near that high. When you were here I kept nothing "secret". I showed you everything I have, including my own GLHS which has hundreds if not thousands of hours of R&D time into it. I took off the valve cover and showed you the cams, the cam sprockets, how I had Vance & Hines relieve the bucket bores, told you the specs on my cams (all of which I paid for....and if you knew how much I paid, based on what I've been reading of your expectations you'd have had a heart attack). I did much of the work myself but I also paid a considerable sum to Pat in California and Todd in Minnesota for their help with the build. Pat, Todd, and even perhaps Alan know how much money I've put into the car...and it sits today, still not running with the FAST system awaiting my install. Other people asking for my help with their builds as well as my own other project cars keep me from finishing it. The head on my car has countless hours of time into it. I have flow numbers from two different benches. I'm not sure where you got the LS9 quote from (if I said it, either I misspoke or you misheard), but what I recall is Pat and Ed telling me the final product (Masi head) outflowed his best Corvette head (at that time). I'm not a Corvette guy, but I want to say it was an LS5? I would have to ask Ed as he's the person who said it. I was referred to Ed by Pat Melendy in California. Pat can certainly speak to Ed's expertise and knowledge when it comes to cylinder head flow on his Superflow flow bench, I believe it's an SF-1020. Perhaps Alan can too? You'd have to ask Alan. I'm not interested in posting or discussing my flow numbers in an open forum. If you want to have your head flow tested and post your results that's certainly your prerogative. The exhaust manifold I modified for you had a tiny pinhole about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. It was miniscule. Nonetheless, as you know, I apologized and gave you several options. Send back for full refund, send back and I'll fix it no charge, etc.. You chose to send it back, which I'm glad you did. I have since taken it to my TIG guy (the only guy I know that can weld cast) and he fixed it, and it looks perfect. Now I have several people emailing me asking me if I'll sell it to them, as they can see by the photos how nice it is (and it's a done, "ready to bolt-on and go" piece, ready to make some good power). The reason for the tool steel block was to reinforce the flange, but again I find myself feeling like I have to "explain" myself to you. If you wish to discuss further you can email me offline.

turbo addict

Rick, I will step up and say that it's possible I'm the one that misheard or misunderstood which Chevy head was compared to the Masi. I thought I heard "a mildly ported LS9". It could totally be possible that it was actually "LS5". I apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused. I feel really bad if I lead anyone astray.

turbo addict

Ok well I take back whatever I said about ls9. I am a big time into the ls chevy engines. Most of you know that I also own a silverado SS. I know a lot about different chevy configurations. When it came out LS9 I was like no way. "LT5" now makes a little more sense. Btw here is my Silverado SS lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388239433071.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	48215  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

"The reason for the tool steel block was to reinforce the flange, but again I find myself feeling like I have to "explain" myself to you. If you wish to discuss further you can email me offline"

No explanation needed, I wanted to post of some pictures of your work and products and ask what everyone thought. Tried to keep it as factual as possible with pictures. If you feel you need to defend or explain yourself over them that's fine, just wanted to post what was offered at RDI Performance.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

@85boost, I get that you want to defend your favorite Chevy platform-heck I get like that when someone uninitiated bashes my TC Maseratis This *is*a Masi knowledge thread so let's add to that, stay constructive, or stay out alright?

@ Rick(16vGLHS), all of us familiar with your pioneering work with the 16V Masi powerplants know that you are a stand up guy, know your stuff ,and that you have put COUNTLESS hours into promoting a platform that possibly without you may not have ever recieved attention to their performance potential. You're the guy that introduced them to me, and a few years later I introduced them to Pat M,and Todd N. heck, he's from Minnesota-who knows where the Great White North crowd even get's their electricity much less their information from You still on dial up Todd? (luv ya tho buddy)

@ Joel, for the most part, I like the direction of this thread, I'm certainly gleaning a few part numbers and ideas I would not have gotten on my own as I'm not the research-every-obscure-page-of-the-internet guy(@Reaper) It's is fairly easy to have an engine build snowball during the course of buying parts and even easier to get buyer's remorse after spending the rent money on them-we've all done it IMO, that exhaust manifold is a nice piece of work, yeah, it should have been inspected a bit closer before shipping but Rick is busy raising a family and this car thing is a hobby for him,not his primary source of revenue that puts food on the kids table. If I understand what you have posted, he stood behind the work and it's no longer an issue. And yeah, I textd him asking how much he wanted for it because I know the fix would be simple and the build on my Red TC Masi would have just snowballed from 'Top end only, big valve, ported head,stock frame IHI turbo' into a 'big turbo, now it needs custom pistons/rods too' build if I had that piece. I'm glad he told me it was gonna cost me double what you paid because I have to pay rent in a few days So lets keep the information sharing in this thread flowing,it's a good thing for these silly little motors a few of us love

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    @85boost, I get that you want to defend your favorite Chevy platform-heck I get like that when someone uninitiated bashes my TC Maseratis This *is*a Masi knowledge thread so let's add to that, stay constructive, or stay out alright?

@ Rick(16vGLHS), all of us familiar with your pioneering work with the 16V Masi powerplants know that you are a stand up guy, know your stuff ,and that you have put COUNTLESS hours into promoting a platform that possibly without you may not have ever recieved attention to their performance potential. You're the guy that introduced them to me, and a few years later I introduced them to Pat M,and Todd N. heck, he's from Minnesota-who knows where the Great White North crowd even get's their electricity much less their information from You still on dial up Todd? (luv ya tho buddy)

@ Joel, for the most part, I like the direction of this thread, I'm certainly gleaning a few part numbers and ideas I would not have gotten on my own as I'm not the research-every-obscure-page-of-the-internet guy(@Reaper) It's is fairly easy to have an engine build snowball during the course of buying parts and even easier to get buyer's remorse after spending the rent money on them-we've all done it IMO, that exhaust manifold is a nice piece of work, yeah, it should have been inspected a bit closer before shipping but Rick is busy raising a family and this car thing is a hobby for him,not his primary source of revenue that puts food on the kids table. If I understand what you have posted, he stood behind the work and it's no longer an issue. And yeah, I textd him asking how much he wanted for it because I know the fix would be simple and the build on my Red TC Masi would have just snowballed from 'Top end only, big valve, ported head,stock frame IHI turbo' into a 'big turbo, now it needs custom pistons/rods too' build if I had that piece. I'm glad he told me it was gonna cost me double what you paid because I have to pay rent in a few days So lets keep the information sharing in this thread flowing,it's a good thing for these silly little motors a few of us love
    I don't have to defend LS engines. There "power and numbers" prove enough time and time again. I was not merely defending them either. Just waving the BS flag. Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    That is not a $1000 port & polish job imo.... $100 maybe. Sorry your going thru this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    What are "checks"?

I wanted to clear up some things. I regards to these post, they are not from ME(Carroll)but are from my username. I won't get into the details of who else has my login and for what purpose but someone else does have my login on a couple different computers. I have changed my password so I will be the only one using my username from now on.

I joke around on here with the guys that I'm close with but, I would never post something like this on an open forum about anyones body of work. Futhermore, I have never posted in any thread that had anything to do with a Masi motor! I have 0 experience with the Masi head and have no clue what the ports look like pre or post porting. Knowing how rare these heads are and how rare performance modifications to them are, I think it would be safe to say that very few people(if any)on this forum could look at a few pictures and give an accurate assessment of the port work.

What I can vouch for is the integrity of Rick. Rick helped me out tremendously when it came to my TIII head with not only parts but also information/tips. Rick is passionate about these cars/engines and doesn't BS when it comes to them. And he for sure doesn't need to cheat anyone for $1000 as both he and Alan are Millionaires. If Rick said he "poured his heart and soul into" your head - then he did.

Hopefully this thread gets back on the right track. If your looking to build a great Masi motor then you can benefit from a few of the guys on here....Especially Rick. You definitely don't want to be in need of a part and be on S*it list of the guys that have all the Masi parts lol.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Cam seal skf 15801. CR40x52x7 HMsa7 R crosses to Honda, Toyota, and others. Didn't think this was so difficult to figure out. Hardly top secret. Look at CR part # there is your dimensions.
    Had part #'s on wires like ten years ago (lol).
    As far as prices on timing gears and thermostat covers, PM me if interested. We can do this off-line. Larry Carlson @ TCparts.com probably has some too.
    Todd
    Todd, sent ya a PM yesterday. Just dotting my t's and crossing my eyes! LOL

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast