Thread: L body shift linkage adj help

Hybrid booster

L body shift linkage adj help

I installed the shift linkage kit from Great Lakes Hot Rod and am having issues getting it adjusted right. Basically when I shift into reverse, push down left/up, the trans goes into first. I can then shift down into second while still having the shifter "pushed down" if that makes sense? Anyway it feels like 3rd is where 1st should be 4th is where second should be, 5th feels normal though with no gear under it. Some help would be appreciated.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: L body shift linkage adj help

I installed one and made a video. Did you lock the trans into neutral while adjusting everything?

Hybrid booster

Thanks for posting that video! No I didn't lock the trans in nuetral, but after watching that I think I have a good idea on what to do. Now I just need to find a little time lol. Ill keep updated with what I find.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Sweet. I'm glad the video helped someone.

Hybrid booster

I don't know why I've been dreading getting the shift linkage figured out. I guess I just felt completely ignorant to how it all works and was trying to put it off. Anyway, I just spent about 1.5 hours in the garage and got it all figured out. There really isn't much to it. I ended up having to remove the rearmost linkage rod and adjust it so it was about .5 inches longer. I then put the transmission in reverse manually, and put the shifter where reverse should be. I then connected the rod/clamp right below the shifter and it appears that I have all gears. Reverse and first are a little hard to get into so I think I need to do a little more fine tuning, but it's very close now! It's too cold to spend anymore time out there, but I did back the car out and put it in my wife's spot as a little surprise for when she gets home lol!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Typically if the thread the quick connects all the way down on the crossover rods, they should be the same length as the originals were.
    You have to lock the trans in neutral, or you'll be chasing your tail trying to make adjustments.
    Once locked in neutral, from the bottom of the car, look at the shifter. It has a plastic tab the rides against the reverse lockout bracket. The center of this tab should line up with the small hole in the bottom of the reverse lockout when the shifter is in it's correct neutral position. The tab should also be as close to touching the reverse lockout bracket as possible.
    Once you have the proper shifter position for neutral, tighten the locking clamp on the main shift rod.

After this, you should be hitting all gears.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for that tip, I'll check it out when I do some more fine-tuning on it.