4- SUM-220141 PTFE -6 STR STEEL FITTING
    2- SUM-220144 PTFE -6 45 STEEL FITTING
    4- SUM-220147 PTFE -6 90 STEEL FITTING
    2- SUM-220985 PTFE HOSE -6AN X 20' ROLL
    2- SUM-G1881 3/8" INSULATED CLAMP 10PK

turbo addict

Re: Another AN fitting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I retrofitted a Spirit R/T with 3/8" hard lines and -6AN throughout. Both supply and return lines.

On the fuel tank sending unit, I had a local radiator shop retrofit it with 3/8" tube in/out. From there, I used the Earl's tube adapters to convert the bare 3/8" tube to -6AN male for the supply and return. I tore out all the original fuel hoses and used Summit -6AN braided stainless steel hose to replace all of the factory rubber hoses and quick-disconnect fittings. For the hard line, I took out all the factory stuff and replaced it with Summit aluminum 3/8" tube all the way up the engine bay. I then went from the new 3/8" aluminum tube to -6AN SS braided hose to an adapter on the FWD Performance fuel rail and another adapter on the Accufab fuel pressure regulator.

I think I'm going to do the same thing you talked about. I will braze 3/8 tubing over the 5/16 and then the weld or braze on fittings onto the 3/8 line. Should work great just gotta figure out what braze rod to use. On the fuel rail I plan on getting the fitting welded onto the end of it going straight in. Should be a clean instal if that all pans out.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Get more clamps, hose sags quite a bit so you'll want to support it every 8-10", otherwise you'll likely have small "loops" hanging under the car.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Get more clamps, hose sags quite a bit so you'll want to support it every 8-10", otherwise you'll likely have small "loops" hanging under the car.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

How will going -6AN on the return line effect the fuel pressure? Does it even matter going -6AN over -4AN return?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punish'nRice View Post
    How will going -6AN on the return line effect the fuel pressure? Does it even matter going -6AN over -4AN return?
    Supposedly it's the way to go. I've never had a problem with a 1/4" return.

Quote Originally Posted by Punish'nRice View Post
    The size of the return line only matters if the line is too small to return the volume of fuel back to the tank that is not consumed by the motor, which could cause pressure issues.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

For the 1/4" line I used a steel compression Yor-Loc compression to NPT fitting and then a steel adapter from 1/4 NPT to AN-6.

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Mike
    Already ordered and shipped. Wonder where else I can get these things. McMaster Carr would prolly be a good place. Thanks for the tip tho. Hopefully I have enough places to attach the lines to since I can't just go threw the floor pan you know .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    For the 1/4" line I used a steel compression Yor-Loc compression to NPT fitting and then a steel adapter from 1/4 NPT to AN-6.

-Rich
    I plan on either welding or brazing 3/8 over top of the existing lines coming out of the sendin units and then welding the weld AN fittings to them. We will see I guess tho. Hope I don't melt the senders and such since they are close.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Zip ties work fine too, if you have something to lash the two parts together... file under "crude, but effective".

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Zip ties work fine too, if you have something to lash the two parts together... file under "crude, but effective".

Mike
    Haha true. I'll make something work

turbo addict

Hose and fittings showed up. Ordered more clamps from McMaster Carr. Even a few that hold two hoses at the same time they also have an app for the iPad now that I'm in love with. I got my tank pulled and have the sending unit and pump pulled. Deciding weather I should weld or braze these things. Will the sending unit for the fuel gauge be damaged by mig or tig? Also where can I buy a new fuel sock for this thing? Once I start I'll make sure to do a write up.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

The radiator shop that converted my sending unit to AN brazed the steel 3/8" tubes into it, and then I used compression fittings to convert the bare hard tube to 6AN Worked great.

I hope you are not planning to use aluminum hard tube. When I did, the aluminum corroded under the hold down clamps due to galvanic corrosion. It got so bad after five years that it started spraying fuel under the car! The rubber lined hold-down clamps were steel cadmium coated if I remember right. It did not get along with the aluminum at all because it was only under the clamps that the aluminum line corroded. Go with steel or cunifer (copper/nickel alloy) hard tube if you do, just a heads up.

turbo addict

The radiator shop that converted my sending unit to AN brazed the steel 3/8" tubes into it, and then I used compression fittings to convert the bare hard tube to 6AN Worked great.

I hope you are not planning to use aluminum hard tube. When I did, the aluminum corroded under the hold down clamps due to galvanic corrosion. It got so bad after five years that it started spraying fuel under the car! The rubber lined hold-down clamps were steel cadmium coated if I remember right. It did not get along with the aluminum at all because it was only under the clamps that the aluminum line corroded. Go with steel or cunifer (copper/nickel alloy) hard tube if you do, just a heads up.
    No I bought braided ptfe hose and they are steel fittings that ill be brazing to the tank. No compression.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    No I bought braided ptfe hose and they are steel fittings that ill be brazing to the tank. No compression.
    Even better! Although the compression fittings I used never leaked in the five years and 40k + miles of pizza delivery I later put the car through. I wouldn't have done it with an airplane...but it was just a car so..

PTFE hose is great, but the bend radius isn't very good. I hope it works for you.

turbo addict

The braze fittings should be done tomorrow and then I can get to work on running the lines. In the meantime I am building a catch can for my 1st gen srt swap out of a oil/air separator from horrible freight. Should work but time will tell. Gotta make a bracket to attach the thing then buy some hose and then test.

- - - Updated - - -

Even better! Although the compression fittings I used never leaked in the five years and 40k + miles of pizza delivery I later put the car through. I wouldn't have done it with an airplane...but it was just a car so..

PTFE hose is great, but the bend radius isn't very good. I hope it works for you.
    Everyone keeps saying about the bend radius being large and honestly I was expecting worse when I got the stuff. Shouldn't be to bad.

turbo addict

Got these clamps from McMaster Carr they seem like they will work great and hold two hoses in one clamp. They are pretty nifty and would keep the lines pretty clean looking

turbo addict

Progress

turbo addict

Can you describe a bit at what we're looking at in the pics? Why does 1 tank plug have 1 tube coming out of it and the other have 2 tubes but with only 1 tube with an AN fitting?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Can you describe a bit at what we're looking at in the pics? Why does 1 tank plug have 1 tube coming out of it and the other have 2 tubes but with only 1 tube with an AN fitting?
    The one with two lines with only 1 AN fitting is the fuel level sender. I'm unsure why it has two tubes honestly. The tube with the AN fitting gets hooked up to a hose that is attached to a type of basin that the fuel pump sits in. Seems like it would help starvation but I'm not sure honestly. The other tube holds the sending unit and float but has a plastic deal on the end of it to not let it vibrate against the bottom of the tank.

the other one with the tube attached to it is where the fuel pump attaches. It was pop riveted onto it and since I knew it was going to get hot brazing I took it off. I'll take more pictures when I get it all together. It's for a p-body and way different than any L-body stuff I have messed with. Kinda seems over complicated to me but o well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast