Thread: Dash out of new dodge dart

Mitsu booster

Dash out of new dodge dart

I was thinking about getting a dash ordered out of a New dodge dart, and putting it into my 1989 Dodge Daytona. Anyone have any ideas on how this would be possible?

turbo addict

Re: Dash out of new dodge dart

Even after extensive modifications to make it bolt up( windshield has different curve, width, steering column, ect) the way all the electronics are set up, using them in something else would be impossible. Everything is done by CAN-IHS bus. The radio is a box under the passenger glove compartment, the touch screen is called the integrated center stack and works through the radio to control the HVAC. The cluster is yet another module which gets all its info from the PCM over the bus though a central gateway. The central gateway is the body control module(which controls everything else like wipers and headlights). In all seriousness you would have better luck rebuilding the Daytona dash using fiberglass around the factory stuff to look like a dart. You could even get creative using android tablets for the radio display and cluster.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm with Ian. I would do a custom carbon fiber piece etc. before I tried to put another dash into the car like that.

Mitsu booster

Let me rephrase what I'm trying to say. I just want to take the Gauges out and put them in, my Daytona is digital, so it should just be a matter of making the new display fit into the old dash. Which if i am correct will be a lot easier than what i said before, and I apologize for the confusion.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    Let me rephrase what I'm trying to say. I just want to take the Gauges out and put them in, my Daytona is digital, so it should just be a matter of making the new display fit into the old dash. Which if i am correct will be a lot easier than what i said before, and I apologize for the confusion.
    I would think that what you intend would be the hardest part of the dash swap. Technology has evolved a tad over the last quarter century.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

most likely the dart gauges have some type of computer that controls them and would be very difficult to get working properly

Mitsu booster

I know this guy and he is not talking about installing the the complete dart dash assembly, he means the complete gauge cluster and modifying his existing factory 89 Shelby Daytona dash assembly for the dart gauges to fit.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I'm not one to poo poo anyone's ambitions, but I will say it sounds an awful lot like installing fuel injection into a model T.

That said, anything is possible with enough time effort and money!

If you're just wanting to retrofit gauges, you'll need to find out how the gauges you want to transplant work,that is what kind of signal do they need to function properly, and how to properly feed them that signal.

It really does sound like it would be easier if you were only going back a generation, or even to an OBDII car, as they would be closer in technology, perhaps you could program an Andrino to act as a translator?

Mike
    Last edited by zin; 12-20-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

The dart cluster is a module. There aren't inputs like a normal cluster has like water temp, oil pressure, ect. The Dart cluster uses computer bus lines to communicate with the PCM to display parameters read by the PCM. The dart cluster is more advanced than all of the electronics in your car combined lol.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.