Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

boostaholic

Re: Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I know what your saying, still doesn't matter. You won't get any better vacuum no matter what angle it comes off the pipe. Exhaust evacs have the connector come off on an angle facing the engine bay because they know that the connection will come from the motor. If they put it at a 90 degree angle it would take more hose(and look stupid)or use of another angle fitting to make it fit good. Understand?

Edit: let's start a "go fund me" for a new intake filter for you.
    What's wrong with the air filter on my car?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    What's wrong with the air filter on my car?
    Its not 18" long
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

I have finally got a handle on this PCV system. I will post details of my set-up later. I am using a modified stock set up with an added valve cover vent that all goes to a sealed catch can that is piped into the intake piping. 1000+ mile and countless pulls and very little oil in the catch can.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So the puff from high vacuum deccel is gone then?? Would love it if the Rampage RT would stop doing that

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Could be valve guides, engine vacuum pulling down pooled oil that is not draining back to block fast enough. Leak down would eliminate rings.

Always best to draw any crankcase vacuum from the crankcase itself, not from the head/valve cover. A draw point at the crankcase tends to draw oil down from the valve cover while a take off point for crankcase evacuation on the valve cover tends to pull or hold oil in the head, hindering drain down.

Problem of course with crankcase draw point is to find a take off point for the evac that is clear of the windage oil splash of just about everywhere down there. Maybe find a spot for a large diameter vertical pipe to slow velocity and allow suspended oil to precipitate.

A Bernoulli effect "gulp valve" is very effective at using the exhaust flow to create a vacuum but down side for you Alan is that a catch can might fill up and then any oil that is suspended in the vacuumed air might make smoke in the exhaust.

A mechanical or electric vacuum pump would not necessarily fix that that problem since they too could suffer a filled up catch can which typically would be routed back to the intake manifold . . . . but need not be. The vacuumed air can go to atmosphere.
    Last edited by johnl; 08-26-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I have spent extensive time and energy building a very complete breather box/catch can and I still get the puff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140407_194204.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	56092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140330_174535.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	484.9 KB 
ID:	56093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140407_190723 (1).jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	497.4 KB 
ID:	56094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140407_190704.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	56095  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Finally took some pictures the other night.
    So what I have going on here is a relatively simple set-up, in all of my testing I found that a majority of the stock PCV system is well thought out and works well. What I have done is connect both my valve covers with a hose using the fittings already there, not the cleanest solution, but with my mods already completed it worked. Next I added a hole to the oil cap, this pulls the air from the highest point and minimizes the potential for oil entering the vent system. The vent line from the oil cap leads to a baffled catch can. On the other end I am utilizing the line coming from the block going to the stock breather/separator block, then into the stock elbow and a stock PCV valve leads back to the intake manifold. The other side of the factory tee leads to hose that leads to the baffled catch can. Both the block vent and the oil cap line terminate in the same catch can. On the top of the catch can there is a 1" elbow that goes directly into the air intake for the turbo. All the other lines are 5/8" silicone hose.
    So in a nutshell it is now a sealed system that under vacuum, draws air into the intake manifold, but once in boost the air intake is under vacuum. So both the block fitting and the oil cap line are under vacuum, this is the best way to set up a turbo car, IMO all turbo cars should utilize a sealed PCV system, the turbo is an excellent source of vacuum and will produce more power because it is drawing air out of the engine and removing any resistance to the piston traveling in the cylinder, this also helps to seal the rings better.

Last edited by DoubleD; 09-10-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Seems like a pretty cool setup, although I cant quite tell what's going on in the 3rd pic.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

boostaholic

The third pic is my catch can, the two smaller hoses on the bottom go to the stock PCV system and the oil cap hose. The larger hose on top goes directly into the air intake pipe before the turbo,

Hybrid booster

Cool setup.

What purpose does the hose that connects your valve covers serve?

Check out my Homepage

boostaholic

Changed the oil in the car last night, drained the catch can and this is all that came out. I'm going to say that my system is working really well, finally figured that out properly.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    What purpose does the hose that connects your valve covers serve?
    The purpose of the hose is to allow pressure that is building in the rear valve cover to vent into the front cover, then the front cover is attached to the rest of the PCV system to allow any pressure in either valve cover to be released, Also the fittings in the VC were originally used to vent the covers, but I found out the holes are too low and allowed oil to pool in the lines and essentially drain right into the catch can. If I were to re-do this at this time, I would have the fitting and hose connecting the two valve covers under the valley cover, but I made the best with what I already had.

The purpose of the hose is to allow pressure that is building in the rear valve cover to vent into the front cover, then the front cover is attached to the rest of the PCV system to allow any pressure in either valve cover to be released, Also the fittings in the VC were originally used to vent the covers, but I found out the holes are too low and allowed oil to pool in the lines and essentially drain right into the catch can. If I were to re-do this at this time, I would have the fitting and hose connecting the two valve covers under the valley cover, but I made the best with what I already had.
    Thanks for the explanation. I am determined to drag my R/T out of storage and into the garage this winter and get back on the road for next spring. A catch can and pvc setup are high on the list of things to do. Are you saying you would have done it similar to Alan's setup? Do you have any sort of baffles inside the valve covers that cover the fittings?

Check out my Homepage

boostaholic

Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

What I would do, if I did it over is put put the vent fittings on the same side, but I would put them up as high as I could, up in the corner. I have seen many cars done this way and my friend recently set his up this way. You still need baffles inside. I got this idea from a very well respected TIII guy who has built plenty of these drive trains.
    Here's my baffles.

What I would do, if I did it over is put put the vent fittings on the same side, but I would put them up as high as I could, up in the corner. I have seen many cars done this way and my friend recently set his up this way. You still need baffles inside. I got this idea from a very well respected TIII guy who has built plenty of these drive trains.
    Here's my baffles.

Is there anything behind the baffles?

Check out my Homepage

boostaholic

I sectioned up some of those metal pan scrubber pads and squeezed them in there. None of this really helped to separate the oil and air, had to change to the existing way.
    On a second note, I am not getting any smoke or puffs from the exhaust after idling or performing a hot start.

Hybrid booster

Looks like a well thought out set up.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Looks like a well thought out set up.
    I have spent a few years and have had numerous different layouts and system designs, biggest thing I learned was the stock PCV layout is decent, but it needed added venting capacity and the valve covers need to also be vented. I've poured tons of resources and research into the system and I am happy to finally be able to check this one off my list finally.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I think the stock setup is fine for about 99% of people. Stephane was the first to do the venting of the valve covers in his 8 second TIII Charger race car. Pat was running 10's & 11's for years with no VC vents. I feel like now it's just done for extra security/coolness factor. Mine was one of the first TIII street cars that had vented both VC, I know Rick D. vented his before me but he just vented 1. When I put mine in I just did it for the reasons I just mentioned. I had never had any issues with the stock set-up and I never popped a dipstick, etc.

I don't have any kind of baffling in mine, just the fitting.....I've never filled up my catch can. I don't know that anyone has ever truly researched how much pressure is building up in the VC's during heavy load(i.e putting a pressure tap in the VC's and measuring)? If someone did, I would love to see the results! Only then would I be able to justify the NEED of my vented VC's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast