Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

Hmm Alan, I had to Google the 4532586 part number and it came back as Super 60 fuel injectors. You must have been busy that day.

Neat valve cover vent setup. It must conceal under the valley cover nicely. What is the part in the first picture in post #20?

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Anyone run to the exhaust? Buddy does that and it works great he said. Something about the pull of the exhaust in addition to no can to have to drain too.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Hmm Alan, I had to Google the 4532586 part number and it came back as Super 60 fuel injectors. You must have been busy that day.

Neat valve cover vent setup. It must conceal under the valley cover nicely. What is the part in the first picture in post #20?
    Kinda pathetic but I honestly couldn't remember if I had 52's or 70 PPH injectors on the motor. been a few years and lotsa projects in between. so I wrote down the part number and well, you know the rest. The S 60's were at their limit at 15PSI, 70's now

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Pretty much the same as mine Double, why the switch to the Supra valve, is it a better unit than the factory TIII PCV Valve?
    I have read great things about the Supra valve, for one the OEM one from the Toyota dealer is all metal, they are also known to hold a lot of pressure back, you wont see an issue with the PCV leaking pressure into the motor.

boostaholic

I have been running my planned system for a couple of weeks now and I have not found enough oil in my catch can to show up on the sight hose. I also have not had the dipstick pop out yet. So far this system is working very very well.

Wish I could make the same claim I drained about 6 Oz out after 8 dragstrip passes and about 100 miles of street driving at MATS last month. I get some huffing out the tank breather at idle I can feel, wondering if I have a ring or two on the new (like 500 miles) motor not seating

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Wish I could make the same claim I drained about 6 Oz out after 8 dragstrip passes and about 100 miles of street driving at MATS last month. I get some huffing out the tank breather at idle I can feel, wondering if I have a ring or two on the new (like 500 miles) motor not seating
    I think your issue is design related....The problem I see is that your vent holes run parallel to the car. When you accelerate, the forces push the splashing oil in the front VC to the back cover(it sit lower which compounds the problem)and then out the back into the catch can. Thats why the vents should be perpendicular to the G-forces.

May not be bad during normal driving, but at the strip its gonna push oil hard
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I think your issue is design related....The problem I see is that your vent holes run parallel to the car. When you accelerate, the forces push the splashing oil in the front VC to the back cover(it sit lower which compounds the problem)and then out the back into the catch can. Thats why the vents should be perpendicular to the G-forces.

May not be bad during normal driving, but at the strip its gonna push oil hard
    Hmm, I added a welded in splash shield to the rear VC that's larger than the opening and sits about 1/4" off the back wall. It keeps the splash out but I suppose if oil is puddled as high as the opening it would flow out. Openings are at the top of the covers tho.

After a long high vac decel(down a hill maybe) on throttle tip in I get a puff. After a long high RPM run(longer than 20-30 seconds) without boost it also puffs.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have had a local shop modifiy several sets of TIII valve covers with 8AN ports near the top of the valve covers on the top edge to try to mitigate the problem. I'm hoping to use the free'est flowing hoses without many bends and the the hoses going upwards toward the ATP Turbo tank to try to help as much as possible. Will be testing this setup soon.

Test car has new rings on original pistons ('91 Spirit R/T). Doesn't seems to have blowby issues at all. But the stock PCV setup does seem to be "not cutting it". Right now the 8AN ports on the valve cover are simply capped, and the car isn't driven much. It does have an 'eBay' catch can where the PCV vent hose used to connect to the stock airbox and it seems fine so far despite running 20 psi boost @ WOT with a 50-trim T3/T4. We just have more testing to do..

Hmm, I added a welded in splash shield to the rear VC that's larger than the opening and sits about 1/4" off the back wall. It keeps the splash out but I suppose if oil is puddled as high as the opening it would flow out. Openings are at the top of the covers tho.

After a long high vac decel(down a hill maybe) on throttle tip in I get a puff. After a long high RPM run(longer than 20-30 seconds) without boost it also puffs.
    hmmm, might be your rings.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

If its sucking oil vapor and not straight oil from a lack of drainage then sadface for the motor. Do a leakdown and compression test before freaking out more. How do the 4 spark plugs compare to the leakdown and compression check numbers?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Mitsu booster

Is there anyway of installing a catch can and eliminate that black pcv box but leave the valve covers alone? Anyone have pics?

Hybrid booster

This was posted within another thread.
    Although it requires valve cover mod's, it can be concealed and completed in a manner that's rather inconspicuous without the use of a catch can.

Given the rear valve cover angle when referring to its top surface, cutting two parallel 1/8"x2.0" slits in the cover and welding on an external box is extremely effective.
    Adding nipples within the valley area, between each valve cover, can be concealed below the valley cover and will equalize the front and rear valve train banks.
    Finally, the new external box should have a 5/8" - 3/4" nipple and should be run to a modified turbo oil return tube with the same sized nipple "T" provision.
    This will balance the system pressure, between head and block, while eliminating the need for a 'catch-can'.

boostaholic

Been critically thinking on this and trying many things, here is my current set up:

Fittings in the intake:

Also hooked my extra boost/vac gauge to the oil dipstick to check for pressure/ vacuum:

Not showing any oil in the intake after some spirited driving and maintaining an almost stock Pcv set up with a hose equalizing the pressure between the halves of the head and also adding pressure relief to the valve covers.
    Going to move my gauge around and see what type of readings are elsewhere in the system.

boostaholic

This is working and now I want to add a 1" fitting on my intake to go to the catch can. Should I put my fitting straight into the intake, or should I have a 90 degree fitting in the intake to force the air to flow in the direction of air to the turbo. Which way will produce more vacuum?

Doesn't matter if it's a 90, 120, 180... Use whichever is visually appealing to your eyes.

boostaholic

You can kinda see in the above picture of my test pipe, I took a plastic 90 degree barb fitting and placed it inside the piping so the outlet was facing the the turbo. Will this give me more vacuum or will having the fitting perpendicular to the air flow not impeding the 3" intake airflow give me the same or more vacuum? I see a lot of pcv barbs welded onto intakes and it seems all they usually do is just weld a fitting right to the pipe, but I see when the exhaust evacuation is used, they have a slant cut fitting installed into the exhaust to help scavenge, I'm curious if any of this a applicable on the intake side.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    You can kinda see in the above picture of my test pipe, I took a plastic 90 degree barb fitting and placed it inside the piping so the outlet was facing the the turbo. Will this give me more vacuum or will having the fitting perpendicular to the air flow not impeding the 3" intake airflow give me the same or more vacuum? I see a lot of pcv barbs welded onto intakes and it seems all they usually do is just weld a fitting right to the pipe, but I see when the exhaust evacuation is used, they have a slant cut fitting installed into the exhaust to help scavenge, I'm curious if any of this a applicable on the intake side.
    So long as there is air flowing past it you'll be using the same principle.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I know what your saying, still doesn't matter. You won't get any better vacuum no matter what angle it comes off the pipe. Exhaust evacs have the connector come off on an angle facing the engine bay because they know that the connection will come from the motor. If they put it at a 90 degree angle it would take more hose(and look stupid)or use of another angle fitting to make it fit good. Understand?

Edit: let's start a "go fund me" for a new intake filter for you.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I know what your saying, still doesn't matter. You won't get any better vacuum no matter what angle it comes off the pipe. Exhaust evacs have the connector come off on an angle facing the engine bay because they know that the connection will come from the motor. If they put it at a 90 degree angle it would take more hose(and look stupid)or use of another angle fitting to make it fit good. Understand?

Edit: let's start a "go fund me" for a new intake filter for you.
    And they cut the fitting inside the exhaust pipe accordingly so that it's parallel to the flow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast