Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_reliant_bay_fuel.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	56408
    Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I feel like now it's just done for extra security/coolness factor.
    I was one of the first people to do it on the Reliant back in 2001. I found at the power level the car was at the stock returns were not enough.

After fabricating a 3/4" flowpath from the SOHC valve cover to where a block off plate would be oil in the catch tank dropped off to almost nothing, a teaspoon in a single seaon. TIII has the same returns, the oil has to work pretty hard to get back to the pan with the pistons churning up the airspace in the crankcase.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

boostaholic

Been doing some research into this system yet again and I think I have discovered another improvement to the system to limit filling the catch can as quickly. I recommend reading this article:
    http://mewagner.com/?p=1221
    After reading this article I will be adding a baffle in front of the oil fill cap, right now I have a direct line of sight between the vent in my oil cap and the valve train. Adding this baffle in front of the oil fill opening should help remedy this issue. I am not sure how much room I will have between the top of the valve cover and the oscillating rockers, but there should be room for a baffle.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Been doing some research into this system yet again and I think I have discovered another improvement to the system to limit filling the catch can as quickly. I recommend reading this article:
    http://mewagner.com/?p=1221
    After reading this article I will be adding a baffle in front of the oil fill cap, right now I have a direct line of sight between the vent in my oil cap and the valve train. Adding this baffle in front of the oil fill opening should help remedy this issue. I am not sure how much room I will have between the top of the valve cover and the oscillating rockers, but there should be room for a baffle.
    I think if you look through the oil fill hole in the valve cover you will see that there isn't alot of space between the rocker arms and the inside of the valve cover. I was getting alot of oil blowing through a valve cover breather I had as a filler cap, and I thought about building a baffle to try and help cut down on the oil being blown through the valve cover breather. But just by peeking through the oil fill hole I pretty much gave up the idea and just went back to a stock filler cap.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Anyone have info on how this version worked?...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/at...1&d=1485729431

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Anyone have info on how this version worked?...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/at...1&d=1485729431

Mike
    I appears to be a preproduction or prototype TIII. The PCV rubber T looks like the old 'log' T1/Masi part. Really not that different than stock TIII from what I can see. The production TIII used a separator box and I can only imagine it worked better.

I know the TIII PCV leaves a little to be desired, but so far the stock system seems to work OK on my builds. I tend to err on the tight side of ring gaps though.

boostaholic

Pulled the Valve Covers off this past weekend, there is no room to baffle the valve covers, the rockers come very close to the covers already. So then my next place to improve is the oil cap itself. I already have a billet aluminum oil cap, which means I can modify it. Here is my two pronged approach:

Option 1: Fab up a cover for the bottom of the oil cap, drill holes in the plate for venting, then fill the cavity with some steel wool and bolt the lower plate on.
    Option 2: Fab up a couple of baffles that overlap with a gap between them, glue one baffle halfway up the oil fill cap, then bolt the other baffle on the bottom of the cap, this way oil does not have a direct path to the exit, hopefully this will slow down the oil from entering the PCV system.

Alternative: I found this slick oil cap for the Honda's that should thread right on and has built in baffling, I will only try this if the first 2 ideas won't work. I don't mind fabbing some parts and experimenting.

https://www.vmsracing.com/products/b...nt=28443916109

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Maybe you can update with good pics of the setup once you do. And upload them to the site, so they don't get lost (stupid Photobucket )
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

Crankcase Evacuation Systems for TIII's

Removed the baffles from my valve covers, discovered they were not doing anything for me except obstructing flow between the two covers.
    I will try and collect all of my old photos or just take new ones of the current setup that handles it 90% of the time.

Hybrid booster

So what were the final setups that worked? I've viewed multiple threads and it seems everone has something different.

I'm running a Holset and it's blowing oil like mad under boost. Head is getting pulled this next week to replace all the stem seals and address a few other issues.

I did like the vent idea from the oil cap and I plan on the valve covers being modified to an an10 or an12 fittings and running it to a dual breather catchcan. Question is, would the line from the oilcap be overkill if I already had both the valve covers routed?

turbo addict

boostaholic

Finally got around to drawing this up. Here is my design, up to date for crankcase evacuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234