Thread: Help please! Drivability issue.

Hybrid booster

Help please! Drivability issue.

I have an '87 GLHS with a s60 system on it, has been running great the past 2 weeks since I put a supposedly good smec on it, with the exception of not wanting to idle till it warms up. The power loss light randomly coming on and going off till it warms up. Today on the way home, it started missing and stumbling under 2k. Above 2k it runs great. Tried retrieving codes, power loss light will not flash the codes to get any idea of what is wrong. Any suggestions on the problem or why it won't flash the codes, maybe I'm overlooking something here. In the past 2 months I've done a complete tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, new hep, speed sensor, temp sensors, ics, tps.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Help please! Drivability issue.

Does the power loss light work? Do you have another computer you could throw in there to see if it solves the problem?

Hybrid booster

Yes, the power loss light will come on for a few minutes then goes off for a few minutes then back on for a few, till it gets warmed up. Don't have another good smec, took one out that was bad for sure about 2 weeks ago and put this one in, been running good till yesterday on the way home from work.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Sounds kinda similar to the problems I was having with my '87 CSX. Most of the problems I was having were due to having the wrong logic module installed. Can you take the case apart on the SMEC and see if there is a number on the program chip? That would tell you if it's really S60 or a stock SBEC.

Hybrid booster

Never tried to open one, I will say that the one I put in it had the same mopar performance part number on the outside that was on the one that was in the car when I got it. I'll have to try that wednesday when I'm off. What number should be on the chip inside?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

They are pretty easy to open up and see the chip. You will need a smallish torx screwdriver. I had to verify my chip number through Shelgame. Should be a three digit number written or printed on a sticker.

Hybrid booster

I'll open it up and take a look, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    They are pretty easy to open up and see the chip. You will need a smallish torx screwdriver. I had to verify my chip number through Shelgame. Should be a three digit number written or printed on a sticker.
    I forget which digits they are, but the code on the chip should match part of the PN on the case sticker.

Hybrid booster

Ok! I figured it out, still don't know why it effected the running the way it did, and why it didn't start acting up right away, but I installed my vacuum boost guage the day before, I disconnected it and it runs good.

Hybrid booster

Ok, moving on to the next problem, my wife's '85 Shelby Charger has heavy blue smoke only when you accelerate, vacuum drops to under about 5" heading toward boost. Is this a turbo issue? It started out only smoking when you take a left turn, within a week, now anytime above about the 5" vacuum mark.

How do you have the PCV setup installed? Stock, still present, something "custom"?

Hybrid booster

Currently just a small breather filter on it, not connected to the intake. Had it hooked to the intake like stock, took it off to see if it was sucking oil through the
    pcv system, still smokes real bad on acceleration.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Turbo's drain? ...

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Turbo's drain? ...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Well, oil drain is clear, went ahead after seeing drain was clear and swapped in a good turbo, so far so good from what I can see in the dark with a flashlight. I'll see in the daylight. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hybrid booster

Well, I thought I had the wife's SC fixed, wrong answer, but after getting my vac/boost guage in, driving mine then hers, I finally figured out what I have to do to fix both remaining problems. I need to convert it to a blow through system.