Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 NYer HVAC problem

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

87 NYer HVAC problem

My wife has been complaining that our NYer doesn't put out any heat when it's cold outside. I checked it out the other night and it was like the system had cut off flow to the core, or had the blend door set to cold. I tried to check it out, but everything seemed OK and after turning on and off the HVAC controls a time or two the heat did kick on and blew nice and hot.

Any ideas? She thinks it doesn't work when the temp is 10* or less for some reason.

turbo addict

Re: 87 NYer HVAC problem

I agree, it would either be blend door or bypass door almost for sure. Maybe bypass the bypass for the winter? Sounds like maybe bypass control is not functioning for some reason at low temps. You could check that by feeling heater hoses in and out of core next time it acts up. For the winter your gonna want coolant going through heater core all the time anyway, so what do you have to lose? That would be a cheap fix.
    My 85 NY'er has been running great even in the -15° weather we just had. At that temp it does make a couple new noises for a minute or two that it doesn't normally make. No love for the NY'er she's relegated to sitting outside for the winter. My wife even commented on how well it's heater performance is compared to her car.
    Todd

I'll probably just remove the bypass all together. That will eliminate it from the equation and I don't have AC in the car anyway so it won't harm too much in the summer.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'll probably just remove the bypass all together. That will eliminate it from the equation and I don't have AC in the car anyway so it won't harm too much in the summer.
    i suggest not leaving the bypass out in the summer.

in my old aries, i had to pull the heater hose off of the core and loop it right back into the engine cause there was always a little heat oozing into the cabin and baking my legs to death in the summer.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Wow you have a GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wife~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No a/c in the summer! No heat in the winter. Do you throw her in the back of the pickup with your hunting dog and drive 150 miles to the hunting area? Does she lick your face when you finally get there like the dog does?
    I have Summer TC and a Winter TC for my princess!

Back to the subject. It could be a vac hose that is just barely leaking. Not enough for the heater controls to malfunction when they are warm. When it doesn't work see if it is defaulting to defrost?

I even have sheepskin covers on the winter TC to keep her tushy warm!

Almost forgot to mention there is a new Toto toilet sitting in the living room to install after Xmas. I guess you could say that the Princess is getting a new throne? It has the slowly lowering seat too.
    Last edited by looneytuner; 12-15-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do know that I've got it pretty good.

For younger guys there is a young? lady on TC that needs help with a TM problem. Elecktrakat. Save her from Firestone!
    I think she has to be a winner too. Maybe she can help your wife?

Cordes, does the dashboard rumble or squeek when you change setting in the cold? Old rubber vacuum diaphragms are notoriously stiff in cold weather. I believe the "blend doors " have a spring loaded relief trap on them too that doesn't seat well when cold. Check unner the dash for "wire/linkage" entanglements also. VACUUM servos really suck. As a control source.
    My van sounds like cell block B at Alcatraz first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Cordes, does the dashboard rumble or squeek when you change setting in the cold? Old rubber vacuum diaphragms are notoriously stiff in cold weather. I believe the "blend doors " have a spring loaded relief trap on them too that doesn't seat well when cold. Check unner the dash for "wire/linkage" entanglements also. VACUUM servos really suck. As a control source.
    My van sounds like cell block B at Alcatraz first thing in the morning.
    No noises at all. I don't know why it would go from blowing hot to cold if the controls haven't been adjusted, but they do. I'm not to familiar with exactly how the HVAC stuff works though. I generally have them all on defrost only due to not being hooked up to vac.

Check the vac check valve(black pill bottle) in the vac line stuck to the brake booster fitting. blow thru it both ways. reinstall it with suction toward brake booster.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Check the vac check valve(black pill bottle) in the vac line stuck to the brake booster fitting. blow thru it both ways. reinstall it with suction toward brake booster.
    Thanks, I'll double check that.

turbo addict

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes-climate.html

maybe yours has diagnostic abilities.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes-climate.html

maybe yours has diagnostic abilities.
    Thanks for that link. I thought there was something like that for the old cars. I'll certainly give it a try.

If you turn the heater control all the way up to I think 85 does it blow out heat then? The little aspirator fans and their sensors go bad from time to time and then the system doesn't know what the temperature is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    If you turn the heater control all the way up to I think 85 does it blow out heat then? The little aspirator fans and their sensors go bad from time to time and then the system doesn't know what the temperature is.
    No. That was one of the first things I tried.

My bet is then the blend door actuator is dying.

I hit the last three buttons on there today and it appeared to do some sort of test. It then flashed 04 at me until I hit another button at which point it set itself back to 75*. I can't find anything in that link except for newer stuff. Does anyone have ideas on this?

Hybrid booster

87 service manual says it is related to blend door actuator, wiring feed to blend door or control computer.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    87 service manual says it is related to blend door actuator, wiring feed to blend door or control computer.
    That would make a lot of sense due to the fact that it's not blowing hot. I can't believe that the thing goes from hot to cold etc. Is it a vacuum controlled blend door on these things? That's the only thing that would make sense to me. Other wise I can't see it not getting hot when it's cold outside. I need to find the blend door lever on it and wire it open to full hot.

Hybrid booster

I will look at my service book to confirm but I want to say it's probably like the blend door in my 89 GTC conv. It's an electrical motor with a gear drive and a tps like sensor that tells the module it's position. I had to pull my dash to replace my blend door cause the plastic broke where the motor attaches to the top blend door. The mode position is vac operated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast