Thread: 2.2 carbureted turbo project

Mitsu booster

2.2 carbureted turbo project

First off, i don't have alot of money but love HP's. I have a Plymouth Sundance Base 2.2 carbureted and i want to turbo it to make it a little faster and get better MPG's. Has anybody taken the turbo parts off of a new yorker or shadow ect. turbo and put it on anything carbureted before. I was thinking about just bolting everything on and drilling out the jets in the carb to richin it up. Please let me know if this has been attempted and or done and lasted.

Hybrid booster

Re: 2.2 carbureted turbo project

Imo, the carb can be made turbo, but this ends up killing any gas savings. You have to tune the carb to run the correct fuel mix at wot (full boost). The problem is that fuel delivery on a carb is relativelt linear. Fuel delivery on a fuel injected car can be modified infinitely based on your calibration skills (to a degree). There was a dc supercharger kit that was a bolt on mod you could buy (8-1000 bucks now) but the most people saw power wise was around 140 hp. Which is the same power levels as a stock T1 log car, found in the first gen turbo cars.To keep mpg up and have more pep, i would suggest a mild TI or TII setup. It would require some work, but with a stock boost level, I know most still get anywhere from 25-35 mpg on these setups.Good luck!

turbo addict

One of my sponsors and I was thinking of doing this to Matchbox too....using a small turbo, maybe 5 psi of boost...or more depending on the egts I get, suck through set up with the Weber version of our mechanical linkage carb. I have an old Direct Connection jetting kit, but much larger secondary jets are found in the carbs that were on the old 1.7 VW powered cars!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Are you sure your Sundance has a carb, I think they all were fuel injected, TBI. You will be ahead much $$$ and time buying a turbo car to start with.

Thanks
    Randy
    Last edited by GLHS60; 12-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

yea, never heard of a carbed sundance by then they where all tbi, if you can fine the same year turbo shadow of sundance in the junkyard that would be your best bet to convert yours , youll need the engine harness out of it and all the sensors and computer, this will plug right into ypur existing dash harness and then all you need is the turbo engine and fuel pump

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Are you sure your Sundance has a carb, I think they all were fuel injected, TBI. You will be ahead much $$$ and time buying a turbo car to start with.

Thanks
    Randy

Thanks
    Randy
    +1, the P-body never came with a carb. By 87, the only carbs were on L-body's and first year Dakota's with the 2.2. Even those were gone in 88.

Mitsu booster

I know it hard to believe but my car is carbureted, i was also surprised. But you saying that it not worth my money to turbo the carbureted motor but to just get a turbo motor any do a swap.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

I've done a few turbo swaps and it's not worth the work unless you are building something like a Rampage that never had a turbo engine available. Not bashing your idea as it is certainly doable but you will need so many parts and so much time you might as well buy a donor vehicle to get all the things needed. Next and best step is to buy an Omni, Shadow, Daytona, Spirit, Minivan etc. that is already turbocharged. I think there is a guy on here "MILKCARTON"?? from Colorado Springs who probably knows of something for sale. I think he even has a Turbo Shadow/Sundance.

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Gotta agree, its a lot of work and tuning will be tough. Drilling jets isn't a good idea as going from lean to pig rich can be as a little as a few 1000th drilled out of the jet.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info