Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crank turns intermediate shaft and cam don't

Hybrid booster

Crank turns intermediate shaft and cam don't

87 Daytona Pacifica, t2 swap, SMEC, a520 5 spd trans out of 89 na Daytona. Ok so the other day I pick up my bro for work. Leaving his house steam comes up from the from drivers side of the hood while at a light. I shut it off and pop the hood and find that the hose from radiator to the overflow tank disconnected from the tank. I put it back on pull over for a few to let it cool down. 5 mins to the highway then 10 mins down it then a loud BOOM. Smoke from the engine bay. Heard something afterwards that to me sounded like some type of knock, my bro said it sounded like we were dragging something. I shut it off and coast to the side of the road there's oil coming from somewhere. Thought the drain plug came off but it was still there. Seemed like there was oil on the rear passenger side of the engine between the head & block. Fast forward.. I get it towed home and check it out. There's oil all back there so I don't know where it leaked from. Funny thing is, I checked the oil as soon as this happened and it barely registered on the dipstick. When I checked it today it was only about half a quart low...Topped off the oil. Here are my observations: tried to start it once and there was a loud backfire out of the exhaust. After that tried again. The starter spins, the alternator water pump etc on that belt spin. The crank spins but the cam and intermediate shaft don't. When the crank spins it doesn't catch the timing belt if you understand what I'm staying. Want to get it fixed sometime this upcoming week but if it's drastic is going to have to wait 2.5 months until tax time because this are a lil right at the moment. Not really sure where to start. Any input is always appreciated.

Re: Crank turns intermediate shaft and cam don't

Sounds like your timing belt is gone. Do you have a timing belt cover on your motor? If so, pull it off and check it out.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

I have the top cover (I keep it on but un-bolted incase I have to check timing in the fly). I pulled it off and that's when I realized the cam want turning.

Hybrid booster

It's still in one piece

Check the belt to see if it's missing teeth. If the crank is turning and nothing else is, the belt is missing teeth. It doesn't have to be visible and you'll have to time the car again, so I'd pull the belt and check it. You're more than likely missing some teeth at the crank position where it is now.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Lol, went outside to check it because it's actually 12 degrees warmer at 10:30 at night then it will be all day tomorrow. Saw a big --- loose dog and had to grab my Chihuahua and "run"in the house lol

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

Belt is now trash. Given the way the car broke down & it's current state is it possible the belt is the cause of the breakdown, or is it a result of it?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    Lol, went outside to check it because it's actually 12 degrees warmer at 10:30 at night then it will be all day tomorrow. Saw a big --- loose dog and had to grab my Chihuahua and "run"in the house lol
    My Samoyed (spitz breed) best buddy is my neighbors black Chihuahua. My dogs lives to hunt squirrels, rodents, racoon, etc. It took my dog at least 2 months to figure out that wasn't a black squirrel on the end of that leash. This was when it was just a 2 lb puppy. Now they are like two peas in a pod.
    Yeah, your timing belt is shot. Fix that first. Hopefully no other issues. Try to get a fresh one if possible. I had a timing belt lose 2/3rds of it teeth coming back from a SDAC event. It had maybe 5k miles on it. Perhaps a lot less. I think it was new old stock (lol). Had roadside repair done in a couple hours and was back on the way home.
    Todd

turbo addict

Sounds to me like its the cause, Belt stripped throwing timing off which caused backfire and pieces of the belt caught the crank/cam/intermediate shaft seal and caused the leak.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    Belt is now trash. Given the way the car broke down & it's current state is it possible the belt is the cause of the breakdown, or is it a result of it?
    Probably just lost the belt. Just make sure your camshaft pulley isn't loose (lol). That would mean the cam is snapped in two under the valve cover. Seen that before.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

They stop selling beer out here at 12 so I went to the store to get a 12 pack to celebrate incase I get it fixed tomorrow. Autozone has them for 9 bucks, but they're not in stock so I'm going to look online for a store that has it in stock..

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Sounds to me like its the cause, Belt stripped throwing timing off which caused backfire and pieces of the belt caught the crank/cam/intermediate shaft seal and caused the leak.
    does that mean I should expect it to leak if I get it started?

Hybrid booster

There's a gates power grip belt at O'Reillys in stock. Is that good enough?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'd run a Gates belt before I'd run a Goodyear, but that just me. Never been a big fan of anything Goodyear...

turbo addict

Change the tensioner while you're at it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I run Gates everything on all my cars. Heck, the GLHS will even be getting a Gates water pump . . . someday.

Hybrid booster

Cool, going to get the belt on in a lil if it stops raining, and may just time it tomorrow if the weather gets worse. Gonna hold off on the tensioner. Come tax time I'm going to get another TM, most likely a convertible, to be a DD and this one will be getting parked for a build.

Hybrid booster

Update: tried to time it and the intermediate shaft wouldn't turn. A lil force and it would turn but wouldn't fully rotate. Bearing surfaces look/feel fine. Suspecting its the oil pump but I'm pretty broke right now and at just over $100 between pump, oil pan gasket, and oil I may just hold off for a month or 2 until money gets a little better. Missing work Friday, paying the tow truck, and buying my wife's car combined with Christmas has me super strapped at the moment. Unless someone has a BRAND NEW NIB oil pump on the shelf that want to sell me super cheap, I'm just going to drive my wife's car for the time being still have to figure out what's leaking also x2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast