Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of running E85 in a log TI

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Re: Thinking of running E85 in a log TI

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    you do NOT need to run stainless anything with E85. people keep assuming ethanol has the same corrosive properties as methanol, it definitely does not. the inside of the gas tank was just as clean and corrosion free 8 months after switching over to E85 as it was before the first fill up. same with the fuel lines. the "black goo" is what you get if you don't swap out the rubber lines for alcohol compatible rubber hose, which you should do first before running E85. had a friend who was running E85 in his supercharged mustang, he had the goo problem even though he had switched out all the rubber fuel lines. turns out he forgot about the in tank hose that connects the fuel pump to the steel line of the hanger assembly. if you thoroughly clean the fuel system before hand you don't need to change the fuel filter nearly as often.
    8 months is not a very long time. He was running it for about two years when it developed problems. Another friend of mine works in Ford's R&D engine lab, and he absolutely hates E85. Says they have had problems after long term use, and still have to constantly change out filters. These are engines on engine dynos, so its a very controlled environment. He said they made awesome power, but if you don't keep up on it, or run it straight for years, then it can definitely be a hassle later on.

The point is, you really should to build a fuel system to handle it. Much like you would with any other alcohol-based fuel. And for some its not worth the extra time/money.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

turbo addict

I ran a mustang on the stuff and here is what I found regarding corrosion. I used a combination of methanol safe pushlok hose with aluminum fittings and stainless feed/return lines. I ran the car for 2 years at the track with very little street use. It then sat in my garage that has heat/ac for another year. When I parted the car out I didn't see any degradation of the push lok hose or fittings. However there was a large amount of water in the fuel that was left in the tank. If you store your car for extended periods of time I would drain all of the fuel out of the car to keep the moisture from getting in.

turbo addict

Converted my CSX to E85 yesterday. I am able to adjust fuel and timing via MPtuner and monitor knocks with flash enable and OTC 4000E.

Other than the Walbro in there that might give me problem, I have 3/8 stainless steel braided lines to the rail, E85 rubber lines 1/4 return, stock 1/4 return lines and a BIG fuel filter (PO set the lines like that and put a wire mesh purple filter in, and I took that wire mesh filter out and added the big fuel filter).

We shall see what happens.

turbo addict

What thread type is on the Bosch filter? I don't think you'll have any problems.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Awesome, can't wait to hear about how it works out for you tryingbe.

Good move on the filter..I used to have one like that from ATP Turbo (wire mesh, -6AN in/out). The micron rating was not that great iirc. I would definitely feel better about using the filter you used.

turbo addict

Filled it with E85, Added fuel, added timing.

Result?

21 mpg
    Wheel spins at 2nd gear when boost starts coming in
    Lot more power at mid and hp end, at the same boost level as before.

Should have done it sooner.

Here's my how to

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ne-tune-how-to
    Last edited by tryingbe; 12-24-2013 at 10:07 PM.

turbo addict

I lost a fuel pump after the Junkyard sat for 3 years. Its win win win for pushing stock parts hard under boost.

As Adam points out, that turbo is maxed out at what he is running it at and it seems to not make a difference that there is an intercooler installed. That car is trapping right where intercooled 16g cars that are maxed out trap.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 12-25-2013 at 03:08 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    What thread type is on the Bosch filter? I don't think you'll have any problems.
    M14 x 1.5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12