Thread: A413 Lockup Converter and Input Shaft same as A604 Lockup Converter and Input Shaft?

Hybrid booster

Question A413 Lockup Converter and Input Shaft same as A604 Lockup Converter and Input Shaft?

The torque converter on the a604 has a wider flywheel pattern than a413.
    Last edited by pauly_no_van; 12-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: A413 Lockup Converter and Input Shaft same as A604 Lockup Converter and Input Sha

Is there a question here, or just a statement of fact?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Re: A413 Lockup Converter and Input Shaft same as A604 Lockup Converter and Input Sha

LOL I should have this thread deleted. I went and dug out the a604 i have to see if I could use the tc and input shaft with an a413, but the a413 flexplate wont bolt to the a604 converter. :/

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Didn't someone here have a "hybrid" made? Or am I thinking of the 904?... Seems like someone took the converter "guts" from one put in the shell of the 413 and was able to use the other input shaft...

What was the motivation to use the 604 parts?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

To clarify, the 604 came with BOTH the 3-spd size converter, and a bigger converter. The 3spd lockup converter will go on the 604 if you have the flexplate pattern to match. The only exceptions were a couple of the earliest 604 years which used a different input shaft spline count than the lockup 3spd.

I would ASSUME the compatible input shaft would swap right into one of those 604s.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

My motivation to use these 604 parts I have is scarcity/cheapest way out.

I have called the yards around here, the last one that was under decent ownership has been bought out by corporate scum and prices are much higher now.
    The other yards that I stopped visiting a while ago say they don't carry late 80's early 90's fwd mopars anymore... :O

Easiest lockup converter to find for an older lockup 413 is the dodge neon converter. Or any 2.0L/auto converter from the 604 cars because the tiny motors got the smaller diameter 413-size converter. After 97 or 98 or something like that they did away with the offset bolt on the flexplate pattern so you have to slot one of the holes a bit. Not a big deal.

Hybrid booster

So, an a604 input shaft is same as an a413 lockup input shaft?
    How about the transfer gears and differential?
    This information is becoming increasingly important as these vehicles are growing scarce very quickly.
    At least around here anyway..
    On a related note..
    Maybe there should be a thread or blog which identifies transmission parts and part numbers as common parts across different models from say 1986 to 1999? Mr. Donovan was off to a good start but how about more info like this thread?
    Last edited by pauly_no_van; 12-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.

I don't think there's really anything that interchanges between a lockup 413 and a 604 other than some of the torque converters. The input shafts probably arent the same either because the input drums they spline into are completely different.