Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HID Lights, Illegal?

turbo addict

Re: HID Lights, Illegal?

There's all kinds of interesting information regarding HID's out there. In my Daytona I'm currently using the Hella E-code conversion buckets with relayed bulbs. With new bulbs this combo thew as much light down on the road as a new BMW with HID's.

Having said this: I've used an HID conversion for my motorcycle (when I had it) with good success. I didn't change the housing, just put the kit in and re-aimed it. HUGE difference, even over a premium H4 bulb.

There are a few issues with HID conversions. #1 is people that don't re-aim them. We ALL know how much that sucks. If they are re-aimed they aren't nearly as bad and you get a good amount of the benefit of HID's. #2 is giving people the choice of all these d@mn colors!! WTF!? SERIOUSLY!? WHY does somebody need purple, pink, or green headlights!? I swear if I were a cop and I saw that crap, the person would be getting a fix-it ticket, and it would have to be towed to get it home. It's dangerous...period. Using the correct "heat" range of bulb is paramount in getting the most out of an HID conversion. Anything more than about 6K and you're p*ssing in the wind and p*ssing people off. I personally try to stay on the white/yellow side of the "heat" range. #3 is ill fitting bulbs. It is true that the housings made for HID's are "special". This is only because they put the focal point of the reflector where it needs to be to get the maximum efficiency out of the light being emitted. This is true for ANY housing and as long as the point of origin for the light source is where it needs to be for the reflector (or projector), then it doesn't matter what kind of bulb it is. Here's the catch: a lot of the aftermarket kits don't put the bulb in the right place and screw everything all up! This is where it pays to buy a quality kit (among other things). Kits that do high and low beams are also tricky. I found this out with my motorcycle. Aftermarket kits achieve high/low beams with a single HID bulb either by physically moving the bulb, or moving a shield around the bulb. On my bike, when the bulb was in "low-beam" it tended to rattle because it wasn't sucked into its housing (its position for hi-beam). This only caused a problem while idling and the whole bike shook anyway...no biggie. On a car, this would be annoying. The way the OEM's achieve hi/low beam HID lighting is with a "bi-xenon" housing. Basically its a regular projector housing with a "shield" that moves inside to allow the light to be focused for both selections from the same housing and bulb with the bulb never moving. The only other way to achieve high-beams (and this was the way it was done for many years, and still is) is to use a separate housing for a halogen bulb.

I've personally never had an issue with the cut-off of true projector beams or E-spec housings. They give off far more light on the road where I want it than DOT housings and the high beams are amazing. The ONLY time I've ever had an issue is on really dark roads where I'm trying to read street signs that have no reflective stuff on them. E-code lights are meant to work with their standard signs which are FAR more reflective than most of ours. Other than that....I love them!

What's the point of a brighter bulb if you're just going to aim the light into the ground to not piss off other drivers? Why would manufacturers use projectors if they could get away with just aiming the headlights down more and not spend the money to manufacturer a projector setup?

turbo addict

DOT housings aim quite a bit of their light, let's just say "not on the ground". So, having a brighter bulb and aiming them down a bit will result in better immediate vision. It will affect your high-beams, though. Still, there is plenty of light that will be aimed out and up.

Projectors are lighter, take up less room, and if designed correctly can also be used with HID's. This reduces part count, which is a huge thing in the auto business. Also, most auto manufacturers source their projectors from companies like Bosch.

I still won't do it and encourage others not to do it. HIDs in a halogen housing really are quite blinding/distracting, but people who do it don't seem to care as long as they can see.

Show me a light output pattern of your "properly adjusted" HIDs in a halogen housing.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

E-codes aren't bad with HID's. DOT housings are a disaster. Projectors are the best retrofits, but technically, they're all illegal.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

this thread is retarded ,try bet you like them, if you dont get hi beamed then great ,if you do take them out or aim them better .ive never had accident and have got stopped for my lights being to bright by any one ,cops or other drivers,and here in jersey certain parts cops are aholes

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    this thread is retarded ,try bet you like them, if you dont get hi beamed then great ,if you do take them out or aim them better .ive never had accident and have got stopped for my lights being to bright by any one ,cops or other drivers,and here in jersey certain parts cops are aholes
    Why is it that people who use such grammar are always the ones calling others retarded? Was that post some sort of IQ test? I only had to read one "sentence" twice to gauge your meaning.

Well, that settles it, one guy from NJ hasn't been flashed or pulled over, do what ever you want, who cares about being civil to your fellow driver, yours and their safety, or laws? /s
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict

^what this guy said...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

No my grammar is Fine and have no problem with it so before you sit there and assume that I have an issue with it , you need to relax instead of running you mouth ..this is what happens when you still use a blackberry . .all im trying to say is that if you dont like them , dont want to aim them right , take them out you . Should have no problem if done right .the whole point to this thread is that the the op wants to upgrade his lighting to brighter ---- , right .im not. Really worried about the lights in there eyes. Cause theirs are in mine , what for a few seconds ?but guess my post got everyones panties in a bunch and this one prob will to .

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

No my grammar is Fine and have no problem with it so before you sit there and assume that I have an issue with it , you need to relax instead of running you mouth ..this is what happens when you still use a blackberry . .all im trying to say is that if you dont like them , dont want to aim them right , take them out you . Should have no problem if done right .the whole point to this thread is that the the op wants to upgrade his lighting to brighter ---- , right .im not. Really worried about the lights in there eyes. Cause theirs are in mine , what for a few seconds ?but guess my post got everyones panties in a bunch and this one prob will to .
    That is the worst phone in the history of man. Don't ever buy one of them again. It apparently eliminates one's ability to destinguish between there, and their. It also cuts the second "o" off of too. With a second glance, I notice there is no apostrophe on them either, yet the space bar is working some serious over time. What a strange device.

Hybrid booster

Ya well I dropped my s4 and it stopped working so im using it till my new one comes in .it has got to be the worst phone ever , took me like 10 min to load the website .I also have fat Fingers so that dont help .anyway lets get back to the topic .

Hybrid booster

There is no "aim them right" when putting HIDs in halogen reflector housings. It CAN'T BE DONE as the reflectors are not designed to properly reflect the HID bulb output no matter how much you crank on the headlight adjustment screws. You can NOT argue that point unless you just have absolutely zero understanding of the difference between halogen bulbs/reflectors and HID bulbs/reflectors.

^ this x2
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    There is no "aim them right" when putting HIDs in halogen reflector housings. It CAN'T BE DONE as the reflectors are not designed to properly reflect the HID bulb output no matter how much you crank on the headlight adjustment screws. You can NOT argue that point unless you just have absolutely zero understanding of the difference between halogen bulbs/reflectors and HID bulbs/reflectors.
    If the housing is a E-code or a projector you CAN put HID's in them just fine.

With DOT housings it is true that you can't get the same results, but it can still be done without blinding oncoming drivers. I can understand if your opinion differs, and that's fine.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    If the housing is a E-code or a projector you CAN put HID's in them just fine.

With DOT housings it is true that you can't get the same results, but it can still be done without blinding oncoming drivers. I can understand if your opinion differs, and that's fine.
    Read my post again. I quoted and highlighted it for you. When using HID bulbs in a housing made for halogen bulbs, while yes you can put them in and they will "fit" in the sockets, there is no amount of adjustment you can do to "properly" aim the light output. It's not opinion, it's fact.

Hybrid booster

Haha .even tho the light pattern is more wide Spread , you can aim them down to get the most of it out of other peoples eyes , im gunna sit back and listen . keep my mouth shut and let the people that know everything about everything speak.im not one of them but do like a good fight or argument now and then .were just gunna turn this into a shouting match I can see it coming , ill watch

Nope, we're not going to scream about it. This was posted by the OP. Apparently you didn't read it. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

If you're still confused, read this link: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

No I didnt Read the whole thing .I see what was Said and am no were's close to being confused . Its a choice , I perfer the hids and (if you will , blinding people ) there so cheap now , you can get them for like under $100 for a plugnplay kit , try them , dont like them sell them .someone will buy em .see I think the real problem lies when you have doushbags that stick them in the fogs as well , then you cant see them or anything cause there is so much light .or the ones that are colors .I guess it comes down to what you type of bulb you like and were you want to see

Hybrid booster

Haha .even tho the light pattern is more wide Spread , you can aim them down to get the most of it out of other peoples eyes , im gunna sit back and listen . keep my mouth shut and let the people that know everything about everything speak.im not one of them but do like a good fight or argument now and then .were just gunna turn this into a shouting match I can see it coming , ill watch
    You can not "properly" aim the headlights when using HID bulbs in a halogen projector housing. Aiming them "down" doesn't do anything but defeat the purpose of HIDs by directing the light towards the ground and doesn't eliminate the "hot spots" that are created due to improperly focused light. But hey, what do I know, I'm only stating facts, not opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast