Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HID Lights, Illegal?

Hybrid booster

HID Lights, Illegal?

So the previous post/poll about HID's in the us/ca had me wondering, what exactly is a legal setup. Not to stir the pot here, but read on...

Here are a few links to a tacoma forum discussing them

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3889968

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3895819

Thatis for canada. As for the U.S.....

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

That link is loaded with info, and cites most of its claims. So, in short. HIDs are only legal in a HID housing. In the us or canada. And in europe, too.

Re: HID Lights, Illegal?

Technically correct, all retrofits are illegal in the US. If you're going to do HIDs, at least do it correctly with a projector.

turbo addict

If the government didn't say you can do it, you can't. Don't aim them into eternity.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Well with the other poll thread and people said that hid kits were only illegal in the us, i thought id try and clear the air. There are a lot of misconceptions on hids.

turbo addict

The problem with people with hids in factory housings is that they install them and then never reaim there headlights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    The problem with people with hids in factory housings is that they install them and then never reaim there headlights.
    Doesn't matter if you "re-aim" them or not. Factory halogen housings are not designed to properly reflect the light from HID bulbs and the beam will scatter causing "hot spots" that you can't aim and can potentially cause problems with "blinding" oncoming drivers.

turbo addict

I think you even need HID specific projectors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I think you even need HID specific projectors as well.
    There are cars with factory HID bulbs in reflector housings, but those housings are designed for the HID bulbs, and not halogen bulbs. Any retrofit is illegal, but yes projector is the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Doesn't matter if you "re-aim" them or not. Factory halogen housings are not designed to properly reflect the light from HID bulbs and the beam will scatter causing "hot spots" that you can't aim and can potentially cause problems with "blinding" oncoming drivers.
    ^This

turbo addict

No, I mean that I think there are halogen specific projectors and HID specific projectors.

Hybrid booster

That is true, i have seen halogen projectors that mimic the pattern of hids, but because of the light design, they no where near match the luminosity and intensity of HIDs.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've been looking into getting a pair of retrofits for my Caliber SRT. The company that does them gives the option of using an Mini H1, Mini D2S, Acura TL, or other OEM projectors upon request. You basically send a set of your headlight housings to them and they will retrofit them for you, or you can do a DIY option. An HID upgrade is optional.

If I wanted to do HID the 'right' way, how do I know which projector to go for? The headlight housings I'd be using for the retrofit are Depo black housings. They are just like OEM but black inside instead of chrome.

Hybrid booster

hids are the best lighting you can get i have them in everthing i own , scion xb and my shadow . throw em in ,aim them and go ,stop worring about oncoming traffic ive had them for like 15 years and have never had anything said to me about them ,and the shadow is actually a little high bulbs and balast are from lexus gs430 and befor that was the is .the only people that worry about the other cars are the people that cant see driving and ae worried about getting hi beamed

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    hids are the best lighting you can get i have them in everthing i own , scion xb and my shadow . throw em in ,aim them and go ,stop worring about oncoming traffic ive had them for like 15 years and have never had anything said to me about them ,and the shadow is actually a little high bulbs and balast are from lexus gs430 and befor that was the is .the only people that worry about the other cars are the people that cant see driving and ae worried about getting hi beamed
    It depends on where you live. Doing that out here is a recipe for disaster. On dark nights you can be blinded by people who just have their regular brights on. It's a good thing all of the roads are straight.

turbo addict

Just because someone doesn't stop, turn around and chase you down to say something doesn't mean you're not affecting them. I can't really say anything about your setup, but there is a toyota locally that has aftermarket lights. THey're so bad and throw so much light everywhere I almost t-boned him. He was turning in front of me, I couldn't tell if he was turning or going straight that's how bad the lights were. At the last second I realized what the moron was doing, jammed the brakes, threw the car to the left and had to go around him just to avoid hitting him. I've seen some good aftermarket lights and some bad ones. The E1 hella's in my GLH are "illegal" in the US but because their beam pattern is so much better I have more light on the ground and less light in on-coming drivers eyes. IMO HID's are useless. My relayed Hella's with 55w bulbs put the same amount or more light on the ground than any other factory HID cars I've come across.

turbo addict

Relaying headlights is probably one of the best things I do to these older cars. I had a thread somewhere when I did it to my old S10. I'll see if I can locate it. I think I made a how to or something similar.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Ok well can't find it through my phone. But as stated works surprisingly well.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

So far nobody has convinced me of the advantage of HID lighting.

Everything I have driven with factory HID lighting has had such a stark cutoff that some areas of my field of vision that I am used to having somewhat illuminated with conventional headlights are completely dark with HID's.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

That's E-code lighting as well. You look at the trees when you drive? That throwing light everywhere and blinding on-coming drivers is what makes putting HID's in regular SAE housings so dangerous. Of course putting high output bulbs and relays on regular headlights can have the same effect to on-coming drivers. I used to get flashed in my GLH all the time, I felt the headlights were aimed correctly as I did it up against the garage door and on the street didn't throw light too far down the road on low beams. But the housing just sucked. I put in my Hella E-codes, didn't changed the adjustment at all and was never flashed again. That sharp cut-off makes driving safer for everyone. If the on-coming driver can't see, what's going to keep him from coming into your lane and hitting you head on?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

That sharp cutoff is fine for driving in dark tunnels. Not so much when I'd like some warning if a pedestrian or large animal is about to leap into my path from the side.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I've been looking into getting a pair of retrofits for my Caliber SRT. The company that does them gives the option of using an Mini H1, Mini D2S, Acura TL, or other OEM projectors upon request. You basically send a set of your headlight housings to them and they will retrofit them for you, or you can do a DIY option. An HID upgrade is optional.

If I wanted to do HID the 'right' way, how do I know which projector to go for? The headlight housings I'd be using for the retrofit are Depo black housings. They are just like OEM but black inside instead of chrome.
    The projectors are just different qualities/designs. One might be bi-xenon (hi/low), or just regular xenon (low only). If a projector has a clear lens that's better than a Fresnel lens. Bulbs are roughly the same cost.

I have BMW D1S (D2S bulbs fit mine too) projectors with a clear lens, they have a nice, sharp cutoff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast