4. You may not vote on this poll
  • i am for HIDs!

1 25.00%
  • I am against HIDs

0 0%
  • I really don't care

3 75.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to! hid headlight conversion!!

turbo addict

Re: how to! hid headlight conversion!!

That is called a casper sheild, Works somewhat but not really.

If it doesn't make a beam pattern like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fx_r_Bi_Xenon_Hid_Xenon_Lens_Projector.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	47937

Then it shouldn't have a HID bulb in it.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I say do the write up. Include the caveats about housing and potential illegality, and those that like them can see at least one way to do it and should appreciate the effort, those that don't, won't.

Anything that adds info is a good thing for the site, even if it's an example of what NOT to do! Sometimes it seems like I learn more from those examples than anything!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I say do the write up. Include the caveats about housing and potential illegality, and those that like them can see at least one way to do it and should appreciate the effort, those that don't, won't.

Anything that adds info is a good thing for the site, even if it's an example of what NOT to do! Sometimes it seems like I learn more from those examples than anything!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Do a write up for first gen daytonas. Finding the proper housings and bulbs to run the quad lights in my 86 has been a nightmare.

And im all for HIDs. But if you make a write up, you need to have a disclaimer stating lights not in their proper housings can be illegal. If you dont, some random guy with his td will stumble on the site, buy the improper setup, and get in trouble. Then he can go after the site because the instructions were hosted here. You cant just account for your fellow enthusiasts who know whats good and bad here, you have to account for the whole of the internet, unfortunately. Take it with a grain of salt, no one here is trying to knock you down a rung. Just looking out for you. Appreciate the work.

Garrett booster

Yeah I'll do a proper write up when I get some time! And true I never put any thought to the fact that this page is open to everyone! I'll have to find the box for my enclosures and stuff! Another thing that must be taken to account... I had to repoint the lights ALOT farther down to be acceptable

Garrett booster

do any of you guys have a picture of a pop up headlight without a bulb? i dont have one and will make it easy to explain what needs to be ground

Garrett booster

monday night i let my dad drive the car and we drove by each other on the way there and i recall going dang those lights are freaking bright! then he dimmed the high beams and it was pretty well the same as any other projectors? when i put these in i actually did get flashed a few times... so i went home and pointed them down a fair bit (the new headlights pointed higher than the original ones) and havent gotten flashed yet

actually before this i had a 98 neon and the headlights were sooo sooo crappy i never ever dimmed them... and i never got flashed, but if it was dark i had to drive like 50

boostaholic

I don't know why peeps (I've done it) waste so much time messing with stock lights when they can just bolt on a set of driving lights. For the cleaner looks I guess..

I had some halfazz rigged stock headlights on one of my old cars but I'm reformed.. No more blinding oncoming traffic for me. Unless it works proper like shack's pic don't do any of taht stuff!
    MinivanRider

Garrett booster

Rrider i have driving lights on the car. They really didn't help a lot.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Try to readjust the aim on the driving lights, They do help out a lot. I didn't like the part that said "the rest is pretty plug and play and obvious. (hook up power, hook up grounds)... NOW YOUR READY TO GO OUT AND BLIND PEOPLE!!!!!" Just a heads up, If you can see your reflection from your super bright lights in the mirror of the car in front of you...........They are not adjusted correctly and Like ya said pissing people off.

Garrett booster

When I remember to take a pic of my lights I will like you said the HIDs naturally point higher and they did for sure! I still don't know if their pointed quite how I want them to though I think my drivers side is out to the left a bit much

Aim them how you want, pictures don't lie:

See all that glare above the line on the left, that's what drivers see. If it was acceptable, manufacturers wouldn't have bothered with projectors (small note, some manufacturers have designed HID reflector housings)

Also, Bi-xenon projectors have a shield that a solenoid lifts for the high beam as opposed to a fixed projector for the low, and a halogen light for the highs.

Garrett booster

Your telling me this is extremely unacceptable??

But this is perfectly okay?

(disregarding the fact that the halogens are pointed into the ground also note that the halogen photo was taken in front of a brown brick wall. NOT a white garage door) I understand why you mean by using hid bulbs in reflector style housings but I don't appreciate you being childish or ignorant about it.

Are those even your photos? Try backing the HID car more than 1ft away from the wall and see what happens. Standard headlight aiming distance is 25ft.

A halogen bulb is roughly 600-700lm/each on low, an HID bulb is roughly 3000lm/each. Glare from the HID bulb is going to be a lot brighter/more distracting than the glare from a halogen bulb. So we're looking at a 4600lm disparity between the two setups (1400lm vs 6000lm).

I'm not being childish, and you're the one being ignorant. People dislike HID bulbs because of ignorant ricers throwing them in halogen housings. "I'll just aim them down" you say, so now you're upgrading the lighting setup to have more light (lumens) but aiming into the ground so you don't piss off other drivers. Smart.

Garrett booster

Their most likely illegal where you live so why do you care?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12