4. You may not vote on this poll
  • i am for HIDs!

1 25.00%
  • I am against HIDs

0 0%
  • I really don't care

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to! hid headlight conversion!!

Garrett booster

how to! hid headlight conversion!!

i did a little looking and thought i would make a write up on how to put hid headlights into a daytona! this may vary depending on the kit you get though! my kit was bought from a custom automotive lighting place for $110. something that should be known about bi-xenon bulbs is that they only run off of one wattage (usually 35 watts) the difference between low beam and high beam is the bulb actually sucks back about 1/2 an inch making the reflection point higher and more spread out! i am talking about the 87-91 pop up headlight daytonas specifically. they have sealed beam headlights so to put hids into

them you will need to buy the headlight buckets.
    (paid $72 for mine and they are glass not plastic) usually they come made for h4 bulbs but mine happen to be 9007 or hb5 the issue with the 9007 is the bulb is very long(9007 HID bulb) where as a h4 is shorter in my case i had to make a spacer so my bulb wouldnt hit the reflector inside the headlight (H4 HID bulb) like i said depending on the kit you get it will be different. i as well as a few other people have noticed the after marked housings do not fit into the stock buckets so you have to grind out part of the backing (5 minute job) and it will be obvious what needs to be removed. since my kit was made to fit a vehicle originally with h4 the funny looking patter on the back of my old seal beams didnt math the prongs were at the wrong angles!

Notice the top prongs have one angled and the bottom three are all 90 degrees from each other

They do make kits so that you don't have to wire but I wanted it done now so I cut both plugs and hard wired ittogether. the rest is pretty plug and play and obvious. (hook up power, hook up grounds)... NOW YOUR READY TO GO OUT AND BLIND PEOPLE!!!!!!

i understand if you dont like these lights or they are illeagal where you live, but please respect the opinions of others. and as far as im concerned they are much safer in dark conditions

some of my pictures wont work sorry
    Last edited by Dony409; 12-03-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Re: how to! hid headlight conversion!!

Only picture that works for me is the bulb. Do you have a write up on this you could provide?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

a write up on what? and ill try to re ad the photos hold on tight!

Have you not done this already or are you talking out loud? Thought you had done this already and where explaining what had been done.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Yeah I have done this the last pic is my car. I just didn't take very many pictures when I did it. So I just mooched off of google

turbo addict

Howabout another option on the poll for HID's only in properly designed projector housings only? I went with E code sealed beam conversion housings and relay'ed 60w bulbs. I will say that my lights out shine most new cars and is sufficient for my van. I could however put some Osram Hyper 85/80 bulbs in and I would outshine most HID conversions and have light that is easier on the eyes.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Sorry... I'm a hooligan... I just like them cause their pretty haha!

There they are. Must have been a slow connection, pictures are there now.

Garrett booster

Had to go re find all the pics put them on photo bucket and add them that way

Hybrid booster

I don't know who else has heard of them(I've never used them) but they sell a little shield"thingy" that slides over the bulb that only lets light upwards so the reflector only transmits it downwards not to blind people. Going to upgrade my lights after I get my tune right.

Garrett booster

That's what a projector is... Most new vehicles have them hid or not

Hybrid booster

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but we might. I've taken apart a projector before(actually some that I MIGHT use as fogs) that's probably why I was thinking shield. What I'm actually talking about is more like a sleeve. I think I saw it on a s10 site, but when I searched eBay I only found only seller and they seemed very overpriced.

Hybrid booster

gotta get ready for work but this is what I was talking about

Hybrid booster

Garrett booster

I don't get how that is different than what I got?

or are you referring to setups like this?

Hybrid booster

I am against HID bulbs in factory halogen housings. Do it right.

Hybrid booster

E codes are known for great light output + the shield/sleeve give a"better" cut off line to help avoid blinding oncoming traffic. If yours are e code + light from the bulb ONLY goes up then your setup is exactly what I'd do. I'd rather blind people than not be able to see, but I'd also rather have a nice cutoff line.

Hybrid booster

Yes, in fact, any HID in a non compliant HID housing is highly illegal in the U.S. Most peope wouldnt know enough to get you in trouble. But an HID in a housing not designed to pattern the light correctly is like running down the road with K.C. Daylighters. Ive almost driven off the road due to this issue.I'm all for HIDs in their proper housing, because they arent blinding when they are on low. But in a standard housing, no way.

Hybrid booster

Incase I was unclear, this is what i was referring to in the first pic..

Garrett booster

This isn't a thread for everyone to say they don't like them okay? Just some simple instructions for people who are looking to put them in okay? I don't live in the us their not illegal here. And when I go outside I'll take a picture of my cutoff line. It's quite defined! If the srt8 wasn't stuck in the garage cause of the snow and I'd line them up on the garage door and show you guys that even though my car doesn't have projectors they still cutoff we'll. I have never been flashed with my lights on low...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast