Thread: CTD diagnostics

turbo addict

CTD diagnostics

I am trying to diagnose any possible issue. on the truck i just bought.
    an 05 cummins with 80k miles
    i have done the tea kettle test no bounce just sitting there but when i laid under the truck and covered breather the other guy watching over the top said the cap moved maybe a 1/4 of an inch
    i have a pretty bad oil leak as well trying to track it down day by day today i think i have noticed a good amount may be coming from the blowby tube.
    and the other main leak looks to be coming from behind the PCM. these 2 make me concerned of crankcase pressure causing oil leaks.
    but the truck runs very strong got 24 mpg going 75mph back from new york to illinois.
    the dirty K&N and some dirt on the compressor wheel concerns me as well.
    i am just trying to find out if the cylinder walls are dusted how bad would that oil cap bounce? i have been researching everywhere and no one takes into affect every step leading to dusted walls it always seems to be focused on 1 topic.
    also want to note the turbo has no shaft play not sure if these get loose and sloppy like the old 80s turbo dodges i am more so familiar with. but holding it and shaking back and forth and in and out it feels crazy tight could not pull out on it and side to side was barely possible if at all may have been my fingers sliding

here is a few pictures of my turbo.

video of tea kettle test(do not have lower hose plugged at this time)

and pictures of the intercooler pipes the close up one is going upwwards into the intake horn.

also wanted to note i have tested it for 2 days now putting a bottle over the blowby tube and in the morning pulled out a oil soaked bottle that is bone dry inside.

and the K&N is getting canned as soon as my amsoil filter and prefilter come in.
    and by canned i meant getting put in the parts pile for the lancer project

Hybrid booster

Re: CTD diagnostics

K&N is very much not recommended for a cummins for the exact reason you are seeing on the compressor wheel.

Holsets do not normally get loose and sloppy like other turbos, for this reason you really have to inspect them when buying used.

I am not very familiar with the Common rail stuff but I know there are other intakes (S&B, BHAF) that work for a 12 valve.

Does the front timing cover have leaking problems like they do on the 12v's? Mine was leaking and because of the fan, everything cover back was covered in oil.
    74 Charger 440/727 91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568 95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

boostaholic

Re: CTD diagnostics

My 03 CTD leaks a bit from front cover,nothing major.With228k on mine it really doesnt use alot of oil.The cylinders tend to get dusted from the higher pressures in the fuel system and inadequate fuel filters which there was a TSB for I believe.Ive always tried to use the newer mopar fuel filters.