Thread: Bought 1988 CSX-T, unusual history which this site help me choose! Check this out!

Mitsu booster

Bought 1988 CSX-T, unusual history which this site help me choose! Check this out!

Friends, been fixing and building cars since I was 14 in 1974. Around the first of this month I was searching CL local for a fix and flip, something I've done 136 time in the last 13 years. I found one here in Denver, 1988 Shadow CSX-T. Brief description, no pictures. Called but still no pictures. Scheduled to see it 2 days later. So I Googled it which brought me to this site, which led me to pictures in a post. Reading the post with the pictures things told me it was the same car - the guy said it had a Missouri title and it was located in Denver. It was what sold me on the car. I brought a best friend with a tow truck and $950 cash. It is the same car. It now sits in my shop, front end 3.5' off the ground, engine and trans out. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ga...vehicle&id=502 This is what I found and what I'm doing now.
    Prior wannabe mechanics had a hay day with this. The engine was not seized as predicted - I hold no blame for Mike from whom I bought it, he had no knowledge of this. Whoever changed the engine installed an older engine - 84 to 86 year model. They didn't tighten the bell housing bolts. They separated pulling the starter into the flywheel destroying the starter and locking the flywheel to the starter housing. Idiots. Then the wastegate plunger mount was missing bolts making turbo useless.
    Just by pure luck I found another 1988 Turbo from a LaBaron - direct fit turbo, same casting numbers and specs, with under 50k complete with turbo. Spotless, everything including turbo. I found the engine difference because of the flywheel. The bad engine in the CSX had a 6 bolt flywheel, last produced in 86. Also when I removed the starter, there was a soft plug missing, so it had froze. Waterpump froze.
    Waiting on a new flywheel now. Replacing all seals, pan gasket, starter, clutch kit, timing belt, cap wires, plugs, CV axles, radiator, mounts and all hose. Also steering column. It has a different column, one that came with a column shifter which they cut off with a hack saw. Have faith! I can rebuild her! The black Shelby intake is there and the fuel rail I will use because the one thing broken on the new engine is where the main fuel line connects.Already bought some fair used tires. Found a Shadow steering column in Pueblo, CO., ordering Monday, shipped. Will being doing some detail cleaning and painting to make look good. Wish me luck, friends. I intend to be driving by Christmas. Will be sharing pictures of the build as I go, but I work on others too. The body and paint are in awesome condition, all badges and replacement trim parts came with it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Re: Bought 1988 CSX-T, unusual history which this site help me choose! Check this out

It sounds like she's in good hands now. Congratulations on your new to you Shelby!

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

boostaholic

Re: Bought 1988 CSX-T, unusual history which this site help me choose! Check this out

cool, i offered to fix that car for him several times, if you need any thing let me know, i have parts....

Looks like you got a great deal for the $$ you paid, good score! I hope that sunroof is better than the aftermarket sunroof someone installed in a CSX-T that I used to own...that sunofagun would leak everywhere!

Looking forward to seeing your car back on the road, please keep us updated with lots of pics
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Nice to see one that is down and out being brought to life!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Good save, good project, sounds like it's in the right hands now. Maybe it will win you over instead of being flip #137

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Sounds like a good deal. Please get rid of the blue interior parts.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Garrett booster

I own #970 myself, they are very fun little cars and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once it's running properly and the wrong parts are corrected. I agree with Tyler, get rid of those blue interior pieces!

turbo addict

FYI that's not the correct intake for that car. If it's factory wrinkle black it should have a charge temp sensor drilled next to the main vac nipple if it was a T2 intercooled car, I can't tell from the pics. But the 88's didn't have and intercooler so there was no drilled hole (you can see boss in them where they're supposed to be drilled) and they are unpainted aluminum. Also should have Shelby Valve cover instead of just Chrysler Turbo.

Looks like a solid car though.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    It sounds like she's in good hands now. Congratulations on your new to you Shelby!
    Thanks for the encouragement - Denver's been under a big freeze for a week. New engine installed only to find the transmission won't get neutral. Found steering column from Shadow. Trying to figure vacuum routing now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Sounds like a good deal. Please get rid of the blue interior parts.
    Thanks, have the replacement gray pieces, most of them anyway. Interior is last on the list.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    cool, i offered to fix that car for him several times, if you need any thing let me know, i have parts....
    Thanks, appreciate it - reinstalled the engine + trans only to find the trans doesn't have neutral - any ideas? Trying to figure how to post pics on here.
    Figured out shift problem - cable froze up. Pulling it today try to free it up.
    Last edited by timthemechanic; 12-12-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Nice to see one that is down and out being brought to life!
    Thanks, new engine in, new clutch, flywheel, starter, V axles, trying to figure why trans has no neutral.

Mitsu booster

This is the one without intercooler. Still looking for a valve cover - the block in it had the 6 bolt flywheel, 1986 or older? The replacement is a direct fit from 1988 LaBaron turbo. Just noticed you are from Spokane! That's my home town. My first road trip in this will be there. The replacement engine had the unpainted intake but I replaced it with the black - wrong?

Mitsu booster

Thanks, it's been parked outside and no signs of water inside.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by timthemechanic View Post
    Thanks, new engine in, new clutch, flywheel, starter, V axles, trying to figure why trans has no neutral.
    someone must have messed with the adjustment at the shifter itself, start there...

Mitsu booster

Thanks, found that one of the cables are froze up, hopefully I can free it up.

Mitsu booster

Frozen cable, the one on driver side of shifter. Any ideas where to find one? Tried to free this one up but it still moves hard.

boostaholic

Frozen cable, the one on driver side of shifter. Any ideas where to find one? Tried to free this one up but it still moves hard.
    Im sure I have one In the springs,719-963-9208 tracey

Mitsu booster

Haven't been here in awhile, busy, but had to let everyone know that I took the CSX-T for it's first test drive today. Does pretty good except the turbo doesn't seem to be engaging.

Hybrid booster

Haven't been here in awhile, busy, but had to let everyone know that I took the CSX-T for it's first test drive today. Does pretty good except the turbo doesn't seem to be engaging.
    Probably a vacuum routing problem or bad wastegate actuator.